Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam calls

Options
  • 08-12-2020 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Receiving scam calls from people reporting to be from media companies etc just worried about them taking advantage of my elderly parents - Seems to be much more of them recently. Any advice on how to deal with them is welcomed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

u2me wrote: »
    Receiving scam calls from people reporting to be from media companies etc just worried about them taking advantage of my elderly parents - Seems to be much more of them recently. Any advice on how to deal with them is welcomed?

One option is to remove the landline phone if they already have mobiles. You tend to get much less spam calls in mobiles and it's easier to block them.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Most phones have some form of 'Call Blocker' feature that you could use?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

Removing landline not an option, mobiles go down too often, break too easily, batteries go, forget to charge etc if anything happens at their age at least with the landline it gives a little more security. Have a blocking facility and will use it but they seem to have a new number every week anyway. Prob no point in contacting phone company they don't seem to be able to do much about it from other posts I read online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

u2me wrote: »
    Removing landline not an option, mobiles go down too often, break too easily, batteries go, forget to charge etc if anything happens at their age at least with the landline it gives a little more security. Have a blocking facility and will use it but they seem to have a new number every week anyway. Prob no point in contacting phone company they don't seem to be able to do much about it from other posts I read online.

How about a desktop 4g SIM phone at about £50

You could plug it in and leave it in one place.

This one has a dual sim option so you could have two different networks.
    Unlikely two networks would die at the same time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/APROTII-Desktop-Telephone-Wireless-Functions/dp/B08L64M2DF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Desktop+Telephone+Wireless+Telephone+4G&qid=1607708073&sr=8-1

Just a thought .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

paddy19 wrote: »
    How about a desktop 4g SIM phone at about £50

You could plug it in and leave it in one place.

This one has a dual sim option so you could have two different networks.
    Unlikely two networks would die at the same time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/APROTII-Desktop-Telephone-Wireless-Functions/dp/B08L64M2DF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Desktop+Telephone+Wireless+Telephone+4G&qid=1607708073&sr=8-1

Just a thought .

Many of us have to use landlines as mobile reception is dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Phone companies simply cannot do anything about it. It's just not possible as the numbers change.

Just tell them not to give any information to strangers. (exactly as they told you when you were young :D.)

Advertisement