Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of insurance?

Options
  • 08-12-2020 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

I have a policy on my car at the moment, my wife is a named driver.

She's starting a new job soon, which requires her to have "business insurance". Her job is a social care job. She will routinely be picking up people from their residence and bringing them to various places, could be to a doctor appointment, or could be to a shopping centre or a public park etc.

I'm just not sure what type of insurance this requires?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not sure if you can get business use cover for a named driver. If you have someone named on your policy, it's intended that they are an 'occasional' user of the car, using it for their work is the direct opposite of this.

If she had her own policy, your wife would be asking for 'restricted business use' cover, usually with indemnity for her employer. By 'restricted' is meant that she is not engaged in selling and is not carrying goods or samples. For someone in a non-sales job, this is sometimes called 'Class II' insurance. If you get this cover, your cert will be updated to include cover for 'use by the insured in the course of his business or employment, as last advised to the company'.

You need to phone your insurance and ask if they will cover her for 'restricted business use'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Just to add a general comment. An insurer is under no obligation to meet the requirements of a named driver with regard to any aspect of cover under a motor policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Thanks to you both.

I ended up changing my insurance policy that my wife is the main driver, with Class II, and I am now a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Unless she's self-employed, surely this is something that her employer should be sorting out.

seagull wrote: »
    Unless she's self-employed, surely this is something that her employer should be sorting out.

That's what I said too.............
    She's not self employed. It's seemingly a condition of being offered the job...

Cost a good bit to sort to be honest, i'm 400 further out of pocket to "upgrade" the insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ironic that its The Mighty Quinn that's asking about insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭3d4life

Ironic that its The Mighty Quinn that's asking about insurance

Dear MrMusician,

That is a very naughty post :P.

You are either very young or not much of a musician if you dont recognize

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭3d4life

seagull wrote: »

Guess they cant because its not their car to insure

That's what I said too.............
    She's not self employed. It's seemingly a condition of being offered the job...

Cost a good bit to sort to be honest, i'm 400 further out of pocket to "upgrade" the insurance.

Would it be worth asking them to stump up the additional cost .... or will she recover it by a realistic allowance for miles kMs driven ?

3d4life wrote: »
    or will she recover it by a realistic allowance for miles kMs driven ?

Yes, to be fair, she will be getting mileage kilometerage :D

Advertisement