Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WEEE on purchase been delivered from Northern Ireland

Options
  • 08-12-2020 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭

I'm expecting delivery of a cooker purchased online from a well known retailer in Northern Ireland. Is the onus on the retailer to pick up my old appliance as per "WEEE" for recycling purposes or do I need to sort this out myself?

Thanks.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'm expecting delivery of a cooker purchased online from a well known retailer in Northern Ireland. Is the onus on the retailer to pick up my old appliance as per "WEEE" for recycling purposes or do I need to sort this out myself?

Thanks.
    Nope, you need to sort out it out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Quackster wrote: »
    Nope, you need to sort out it out yourself.

Wrong.
    I’ve been in contact with the relevant authorities and it is the retailer’s responsibility.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Wrong.
    I’ve been in contact with the relevant authorities and it is the retailer’s responsibility.
    Different rules apply in different countries. In the UK, retailers have the option (at least until 31st December this year) to register for a Distributer Takeback Scheme instead of taking back WEEE themselves. These schemes fund the local authority recycling centres and customers are directed to use them to dispose of WEEE.

https://www.gov.uk/electricalwaste-producer-supplier-responsibilities/join-the-distributor-takeback-scheme

Last I checked, Northern Ireland was still part of the UK.

Quackster wrote: »
    Different rules apply in different countries. In the UK, retailers have the option (at least until 31st December this year) to register for a Distributer Takeback Scheme instead of taking back WEEE themselves. These schemes fund the local authority recycling centres and customers are directed to use them to dispose of WEEE.

https://www.gov.uk/electricalwaste-producer-supplier-responsibilities/join-the-distributor-takeback-scheme

Last I checked, Northern Ireland was still part of the UK.

They have a .ie domain so are subject to our regulations so your smart arse NorthernIreland comment is irrelevant. Par the course for mods here to be fair.
    I was on to WEE and that is what they told me.
    I then reverted back to the retailer and they conceded the point so accept are wrong and move on, good chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quackster is not a mod on this forum.

I am, though

Your posting style is unacceptably abrasive and not acceptable here. Rethink it before ever posting here again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

They have a .ie domain so are subject to our regulations so your smart arse

Under the Good Friday Agreement businesses in NI may use an ie address. That doesn’t infer that they are subject to any laws or regulations from the Republic.

Under the Good Friday Agreement businesses in NI may use an ie address. That doesn’t infer that they are subject to any laws or regulations from the Republic.

Infer or not they are subject to the WEEE regulations here.
    This comes from WEEE themselves. Why have people got a problem with this......

Advertisement