Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chuck Yeager - R.I.P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Amazing that he made it past 24, never mind 97.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭MrCostington

RIP

And what a cool name for a test pilot.

Wonder why he was not in the NASA program? He surely had the "right stuff"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RIP

And what a cool name for a test pilot.

Wonder why he was not in the NASA program? He surely had the "right stuff"
    Rather ironically, even though Yeagar was a flight trainer for future astronauts, he was excluded from actually becoming one because he was not academically qualified.

NASA's primary remit was scientific exploration, so selected candidates who were qualified in that regard and trained them to fly*, rather than trying to train pilots in astrophysics and other science disciplines.

*The majority of candidates selected until the 1970s were already USAF pilots who just happened to have science qualifications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The first human being to break the sound barrier amongst other achievements and he did it with two broken ribs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

RIP.

You has to be half nuts to do what he did but all explorers are like that. He was one of a very special breed who push humanity beyond what was previously thought possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm not even sure who he is but I remember I had some kind of flight sim game probably in the early 90s with his name attached to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I'm not even sure who he is but I remember I had some kind of flight sim game probably in the early 90s with his name attached to it

‘You just dug a half whole way to China!’

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement