Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps5 External hd

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

max life wrote: »

Just looking into this subject now so will follow this thread. I asked on the PS5 thread and I got the following reply;
    I have an external drive for the exact same thing but I haven't connected it yet as there are reports of people having problems connecting a HDD via USB so I'd investigate that before buying anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Jaysus, I wouldn't buy it from Littlewoods anyway!! Same HD on Amazon is £88 or c.€97 versus €130.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Jaysus, I wouldn't buy it from Littlewoods anyway!! Same HD on Amazon is £88 or c.€97 versus €130.

Yeah I wasn't planning on buying it from Littlewoods.. it was just as an example. Thanks. Just interested to see which Hard drive people are using

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Holding off buying one until the SSD add on issue is resolved.

Sony may release the extendable SSD option soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gumbo wrote: »
    Sony may release the extendable SSD option soon?

" To be added in a future update " is the official line I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wpisdu

dreamers75 wrote: »

I have SSD connected using USB3.0 port and it's working flawlessly. The PS4 backward compatible games are actually loading faster from it than form the internal SSD :eek:

I have Crucial CT500BX100SSD1 BX100 500 GB but it's 5 years old drive as I've been using it in my PS4 Pro, so I guess it's no longer available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

dreamers75 wrote: »

I was under the impression most of those were people with external HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Underground

I have a Seagate 2TB external hard drive I've been using for the Ps4. Does anyone know if this will work? Haven't taken my PS5 out of the box yet.

Edit: just checked online. Looks like it should work.

So should we be getting a HDD or SSD? Or does it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

SSD ideally, but value per GB comes into it. There's obviously greater value to be in had in picking up say a 4TB portable HDD, but speed-wise, they won't measure up to even a rudimentary SSD.
    Even a decent 1TB SSD won't be dirt cheap and a 2TB or NVMe variant will be twice that, but they'll provide the next best alternative to the internal drive for running PS4 games. Once you're used to the swift load times of PS5 titles, you'll find some PS4 games trying the patience a wee bit running from HDD.
    Personally, I'm running a 2TB FireCuda and I'm satisfied maintaining a limited collection of PS4 digital titles rather than hooking up the mechanical larger HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

I'm using one of these and it works great, super smooth loading and gameplay:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B087DF38J9?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

What size external HD are most people using?

I have a Seagate 2TB external hard drive I've been using for the Ps4. Does anyone know if this will work? Haven't taken my PS5 out of the box yet.

Edit: just checked online. Looks like it should work.

I attempted to use my 1tb Seagate in my PS4 to back up my saved data and it stated that it could not recognize the file or something along those lines.

Took me 6 hours to upload to the PSN!

It’s a HDD if that makes any difference?
    I’ll try it again on Xmas day when Santa delivers the PS5 and see if it works for storing the PS4 games on that.

Advertisement