Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hive or Nest or cheaper knock off

• 08-12-2020 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

So i have the standard panel controller with 2 thermostats (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs).

I want to put in a smart system.

I would like to do it DIY so if one system is compatible with the standard one used in Irish homes then great.

Are there any ongoing costs with either.

Real life experience which is better?

Any info would be much appreciated - just bouncing the idea in my head and said i'd look into difficulty before anything

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I had Climote. There is an 18 euro annual fee for this. The Climote itself can be heavily discounted and free installation by some of the energy providers. Worth a look.

I was going to go for nest but posters here pointed out that there is no boost function with nest.

Hive seems to be the most popular with posters. In the end I changed to EPH Ember 3 zones and I'm very happy with it. Works well with its app & you can tell Alexa to turn it on & off without having to get up off the sofa :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

I have Nest fitted to a system that was like yours- thermostat upstairs and down.
    Functionally it’s great for remote access to heat etc. The mobile nature of thermostat means you can put it where you want the temperature controlled but it’s all or nothing- would be great to be able to control individual rads with it.
    Also had 2 nest protects but they’ve reached EOL so replaced them with standard smoke/CO alarms as the protects got flakey with age so wasn’t that impressed with them. Have Nest cam too but never use it.
    We had to change our boiler a couple of years after fitting nest (unrelated!) but find that since then the temperature monitoring/control of Nest has been poor - it reads 20 degrees even though the room is Baltic - something is going on with it - either it’s thermostat is fecked or it needs to be reset and relearn the new boiler but I haven’t had time to mess with it lately.

To summarise, very easy to install, found it brilliant with original boiler, mixed emotions about it currently!

Seriously thinking of switching to Bord Gais to get the Hive they offer to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kingkev100

So i have the standard panel controller with 2 thermostats (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs).

I want to put in a smart system.

I would like to do it DIY so if one system is compatible with the standard one used in Irish homes then great.

Are there any ongoing costs with either.

Real life experience which is better?

Any info would be much appreciated - just bouncing the idea in my head and said i'd look into difficulty before anything
    I have hive for my 2 zone house heating. Works brilliantly. Easy to use. App is good, lots if functionality. Lots of hive other products too... although no hive alarm or video doorbell yet??! But, excellent thermostat for heating

Advertisement