Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs Charges on Items that arrive at UK Virtual address before Jan first?

Options
  • 08-12-2020 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Question;

If I order something from the UK to the virtual UK addresspal or parcel motel address this month and it arrives at the address before January 1st BUT for whatever reasons , holiday time, christmas rush etc it does not Leave the UK for home delivery until after January 1st , will I be charged the new customs excise fees ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Question;

If I order something from the UK to the virtual UK addresspal or parcel motel address this month and it arrives at the address before January 1st BUT for whatever reasons , holiday time, christmas rush etc it does not Leave the UK for home delivery until after January 1st , will I be charged the new customs excise fees ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Yes duty is due at point of entry not placement of order.

For example if you imported a car from Japan you would pay the duty when it arrived in Ireland, not when you bought the car from the Japanese dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

plibige wrote: »
    Yes duty is due at point of entry not placement of order.

For example if you imported a car from Japan you would pay the duty when it arrived in Ireland, not when you bought the car from the Japanese dealer

Thanks , lets say the parcel get from the Uk address pal depot to the Dublin an post depot before jan 1st , but is n't delivered to me until after January first , I assume I am not obliged to pay customs in this case?

While I am here ,

Anyone have any idea if something ordered and shipped today in Uk to Hatfiled addresspal stands a chance of arriving in Ireland before January first? I would hate to be shafted with customs charges.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod - already posted in the AdressPal thread. Do not cross post, post in on or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Thanks , lets say the parcel get from the Uk address pal depot to the Dublin an post depot before jan 1st , but is n't delivered to me until after January first , I assume I am not obliged to pay customs in this case?

Customs are charged when it enters the state, not when it's delivered to you. In your example, it's in the state before 1 Jan, then there is no customs due.

• Advertisement
Advertisement