Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer Contribution Pension

• 08-12-2020 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi all.

I have a question re company pension schemes.
    Basically I'm wondering how usual it is for the percentage of your salary that is contributed to your pension to not come off your gross pay, but instead come off what is termed "pensionable" pay?

I have only recently started this and tbh I didn't even look at my payslip the first 2-3 months. It is only now that I've noticed that the 5% contribution amount is not actually 5% of my gross pay (the company contributes another 7.5%).

It seems as if the "pensionable salary" that the 5% comes from is my gross pay minus an amount that is linked in some way to the state pension.
    (My own "5%" contribution is about €90 less than 5% of my gross and hence the company pays in approx €135 less as a result).

Is this normal? I am extremely new to the area of pensions so want to have a bit of research done before asking any questions at work.

Cheers for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭AnRothar

What does your pension documentation say?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lulut

Yes this is usually the way with defined benefit pensions i think. Pensionable pay is less than your gross amount. With Defined contribution pension you pay on your gross pay

Advertisement