Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike On The Train

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Before I started arranging the bikes the helpful ticket checker/inspector/operative (what ar they called?) offered the use of the hidden store but didn't want any bikes in the wheelchair spaces. For what it's worth, the technique with the bikes is to reverse the first one tight against the window wall and the same with the third one between the two normal spaces. I'm pretty sure a fifth one could have fitted on the outside but might have needed to be secured with a bungee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Don't tell people about the hidden space, he put mine in there once, road bike only space but it is a genuine space. Not sure why they don't use it unless there is another use for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Yes used the 'hidden space' once when travelling to Roslare to catch a ferry. Hadn't booked the bike and there were a number of other cyclists including a worried looking French couple with two kids. With the help of a great conductor we all (8 in total) made it on. I think the space is for storing wheelchairs.

Only time I've failed to get my bike on a train was coming back to Dublin from Kilarney (the feeder train didn't have a bike carriage)about ten years ago the driver refused to take any bikes and ended up with the station master freighting the bikes to Dublin the following day for free. Also came close to being refused going from Connolly to Roslare to catch a ferry when there were more than two bikes and the driver (again) was sticking by the rules. Eventually he relented when one of the cyclists took the wheels off his bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's highly unlikely that the train driver would have refused to take the bike. They generally don't have any interaction with passengers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is not helpful, but every time i see this thread title, i get 'fog on the tyne' stuck in my head.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I agree they generally don't. However, in the Killarney example I watched the station master speaking to the driver after which the SM told us the driver was refusing to take them as there were no facilities for carrying bikes on that particular train. In the Connolly Station example I was present when the driver said to the conductor he was only allowing two bikes on, as per regulations. There were already two bikes on and when I pointed out that I had already purchased a ticket from the ticket office for my bike (this was before they stopped charging for bikes) I was told by the driver, leaning out, that I should take it up with the station authorities. Fortunately a guy who already had his bike on offered to remove the wheels and stow it so the driver relented reluctantly.

You may not believe it but these two occurrences did happen, although the first was around ten years ago and the second about 6.

Ah fair enough. Most of my train experience is with commuter services where I've never a driver interact with passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

Where are you off too? Are you getting the ferry to France?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Checks Strava. They got a train and cycled back up to Dublin. The Wishbone Ash way

That is a terrible slur on a man who has been known to cycle to West Donegal (via Belfast) for a family get-together and back to Dublin the following day. It was only loyalty to his clubmates that made him take the train to Gorey on Tuesday. 😉

Gorey, they would have been quicker cycling down its so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

Got the train yesterday from Greystones to Enniscorthy and cycled home 109km along the coast. While the weather was abysmal and I had one extreme close pass by a taxi just as I came into Courtown (wing mirror inches from my elbow and no oncoming traffic what so ever), the whole experience of taking the bike on the train was brilliant. I'd highly recommend it to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

My tuppence - if you have to travel across ireland for work reasons, e.g. Dublin to Cork or Galway, the train plus bike is a super combo. It really is.

Posted this over on the Royal Canal thread but it's probably more relevant here:

A couple of us tried to board the almost empty Sligo train this morning with our bikes. We intended heading to Mullingar and cycling back along the Greenway. We were repulsed by two attendants who were determined not to let us on unless we could produce booking confirmation. Neither of us could so off the train went without us.

We had no trouble getting on the Maynooth commuter train shortly afterwards and had a great spin from there to lunch at Nanny Quinn's (Thomastown) and back to Maynooth afterwards.

It's the first time in many trips to Mullingar and Longford that I was asked for proof of booking and I'm not sure if it is even noted on the ticket when you do book a bike space. It looks as if it is a new and regrettable policy to restrict the number of bikes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is there an additional cost for bringing bikes on a train or were the IR staff just petty jobsworths who wanted to see that you had booked them on (with no additional charge)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

It's entirely jobsworths I was put off an empty train during covid as I didn't have a bike booking, I complained to IR and they said it was at the train staffs discretion to carry bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

There's no additional charge.. A train may be empty at departure but someone may have their bike booked at the next station and there's only limited space for bikes and I guess IR don't want bikes blocking walk ways.

It's no different to booking a seat and finding someone else sitting in it. Just book your bike on as you book your train ticket, simple. The lack of bike space should be addressed though.

Some staff just have issues with cyclists. The day I was put off several others were put off too despite the bikes being stowed out of the way. He took issue with 3 bikes in 2 bike spaces and bikes with the wheels removed in luggage spaces despite being secured he also wouldn't entertain bikes in the wheelchair space even with assurances that if the space was required we'd leave the train. When we tried to reason he pulled out his phone and said he was calling the gardai if we didn't leave the train immediately. I walked the whole train looking for space for the bikes and as it was during covid there was a max of 10 other passengers on the train along with 10 cyclists trying to board. The train left for Sligo with just 10 on board after we were left behind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I've never brought a bike on the train, and I don't doubt that some IR staff are awkward (people like that in all walks of life), but the first bullet point under Bikes on Intercity lines on the IR website, is that all bikes must be booked, in advance

But as said before, that's not to say there were not bikes booked on in any of the numerous stations between Sligo and dublin. Also I'd have zero issue with being told to move from the wheelchair space. Sets the wrong precedent.

I've had the converse happen on the same train (going the other way). Had a bike booked. It was packed. luggage was taking up the bike rack. IR hauled it all off said there you go and barked at anyone to come get their luggage.

I've also got on in Newbridge very hungover and unwilling to cycle home, having cycled down the day before and driver seeing my pain let me on train early and told me exactly which carriage to go to.

I've carried my bike on the train plenty of times too and have typically had a good experience doing so.

The point stands that some staff do not like cyclists and are permitted by Irish Rail to hide behind bylaws to discriminate against them. The day we were put off there were 2 bikes with bookings the member of train staff wouldn't entertain additional bikes on the train at all regardless of how they were stored. From memory one possibly two fit neatly with the other two in the bike rack and 4 others had wheels removed and fit neatly into the large luggage racks.

It was when he wasn't happy with them in the luggage racks we offered to stand with them in the empty wheelchair space, staff typically know if the spot will be used as its typically prearranged on InterCity as the ramp needs to be put out he never mentioned a wheelchair booking but started on about calling the guards and an almost empty train departed. He also had the option of accommodating one bike in the hidden space beside the toilet but chose not to offer it or do so. If the train was anyway busy I'd probably have been less critical but it was empty and I don't believe gathered many more passengers en route.

This, but the main issue is lack of space. I have my train tickets booked months in advance because of it. One evening the Kildare train got delayed as there was no CSO on it and 20 bikes got on, blocked access and then people couldn't get on or off.

Took them 40 minutes to sort out the wheelchair users getting on in Connolly as none of the bike users would get off.

The intercity needs to clear seats on the other side as well and with little effort you could have 6 to 8 spaces

The Sligo train has always had a really penchant for attracting absolute ****s as CSOs, there was the odd nice one but most were just ****s.

I absolutely agree bikes should be carried/loaded safely. If bikes are causing a hazard or cyclists are being uncooperative they should be removed/denied boarding however if a bike has wheels removed and is placed on a luggage rack there is very little difference between it and a large suitcase in terms of hazard and space used. IE could resolve most of this conflict very easily with some modifications to the existing fleet, and some common sense around rules e.g. If a bike has been prepared for travel and fits safely in the luggage rack it can travel! They just need a will to do so.

I agree that the carriages could have more designated space, but according to another poster above, luggage was taken out of the bike rack to allow for bikes to be placed there, so it would seem like the rule is being employed equally if we're saying bikes can't be in the luggage section

I was curious about this, mostly from reading this thread, and it got me wondering about how many bikes IR carry each year.

Maybe my google-fu is weak, but I can't find reference to it anywhere. Not in IR's annual reports, not in the NTA's rail census. Nothing. Surely if bikes have to be booked, there is a figure out there somewhere, even if it's an under reported one?

It's not discrimination though. It's applying the rules as they are fairly clearly laid out in the booking. Yes they could be relaxed, and yes there definitely needs to be better facilities for bikes on all trains, but it's not discrimination.

The cycle back from Sligo to Dublin is rather lovely if you fancy an alternative.

• Advertisement

Very true in any case, I've no issue on busy services it's running empty trains on a Sunday morning and removing bikes quoting rule books that particularly irks me!!

Fair enough it's probably a bit strong to call it discrimination but no other form of transport is specifically called out e.g. scooters, escooters all of which I've seen carried it's just bikes and it's been this way for some time with no attempt to resolve it. I agree the canal is a lovely cycle I've only made it as far as Longford and back in a single day though!

Advertisement