Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike On The Train

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You can sit with a scooter at your seat.

The train is empty when you get on, but you don't know that there are not bikes booked on in any one of 13 stops in between.

In an ideal world each service would have room for 10 bikes at a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Ok I'll leave it here as we're not going to agree, you cannot sit in your seat on an intercity service with a scooter without it causing an obstruction, particularly an escooter they're too big, don't fit between the seats and are too bulky to be stowed overhead. I've seen them in the luggage racks and if they can go there then surely so can a bike once it fits and with wheels removed is the point I'm making. That could easily be written into the rule book.

I don't know why you keep going back to bikes booked from other stations I never said anything about there not being other bikes booked. It's near empty trains on early morning services and not allowing bikes to be placed safely in the empty luggage racks that I have an issue with.

If IR had the will they could make it work or a least better on certain services at least but no they choose to ignore it and run near empty trains to Sligo and I don't believe loading improves significantly after Maynooth on the first Sunday morning service! Similar to how they only allow bikes on commuter services off-peak they could allow bikes with wheels removed that fit safely into luggage racks on a limited number of services if they chose to. I hope that with the focus on active travel etc some funds/pressure is put towards resolving this once and for all!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pretty much it, the CSOs have their info and they can see a bike booked in Edgeworth's town and Mullingar. It may look empty in Longford but its not empty all the way.

Do they take the risk that after paying 40euro you are actually going to get off without an argument.

Do I think that's the reason all the time, of course not. Considering I've had people in the station just verbally check, I'm of the opinion that unless it's the CSO on the train, they are just acting the pr1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Two relevant articles from Cian Ginty's excellent IrishCycle.com site that really deserves support and more subscribers.

The first from August last highlighting increased checking of bookings before bikes are allowed on trains: https://irishcycle.com/2022/08/19/irish-rail-implements-bicycle-checks-for-trains-with-limited-capacity/

The second from early September announcing the arrival of the first 3 of 41 new rail carriages that will include a minimum of two extra bike spaces with potential for a lot more: https://irishcycle.com/2022/09/08/first-of-41-new-irish-rail-carriages-arrives-to-enable-increase-in-seating-and-bicycle-capacity-on-existing-intercity-trains/

The first of these carriages are due to come into service "from early 2023 on Intercity and Commuter routes" so there is finally some light at the end of that tunnel. To quote Irish Rail "These additional new carriages have a further 2 nominated bicycle spaces (with locating straps) in the multipurpose area. However this multipurpose area can accommodate a variety of uses for example such as a larger group of bicycles and cyclists provided they are attended during the journey or families with buggies and so on.” It will be interesting to see how this is implemented and how it is proposed to support the bikes.

Another IrishCycle article https://irishcycle.com/2022/06/28/irish-rail-should-keep-it-simple-for-bicycle-spaces-on-new-trains/ quotes Barry Kenny as saying “This area will allow for limited bike storage on the new carriages: the seats are flip up and there will be bicycle restraints fitted to the wall panels so bicycles can be leaned against the flip up seats when the seats are in a raised position.” He added: “As you know, these carriages are predominantly being used in the Commuter area in the short term so it will be a first come / first served situation particularly when regular seating is full. The external door of the carriage at the multipurpose end will feature a large bicycle logo, and floor markings will be included too.”

Advertisement