Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PSU Won't Boot New Build

Options
  • 08-12-2020 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm building a new pc for my son , eventually through perseverance and luck and help from this forum , I sourced the parts ,

GPU GIGABYTE - GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING OC Graphics Card

MB ASUS B550-F GAMING motherboard

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU

RAM 4x8G CorVenRGBPRO DDR4

CASE Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh performance Midi-Tower Case - Black

PSU KOLINK ENCLAVE 700W PSU 80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY UNIT

The only part I was missing was the psu , so i assembled everything and no problems , booted , installed windows and all working well ,

fast forward to today , received new psu from dpd man , switched out old psu for new , powered on and nothing , checked and double checked everything but nothing , put back old psu and booted first time , so i thought doa PSU , now the new PSU arrived with a good dent in the box so I thought that might have been the problem ,

just for the crack I tried the new PSU in the old computer which has a b350 , and guess what , it boots no problem , sorry for the long winded post but I'm stumped ,
    I already contacted AWD-IT but don't know what they are like to deal with esp coming up to Christmas , at least I have a working PC but its really bugging me

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

what is the old PSU model?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Can you be more specific when you said "powered on an nothing"..was there any fan power up's or leds on your motherboard even for a second? or was there absolutely not a peep?
    I have seen this happen only once before and its a real pain to diagnose the exact problem..anything from a failing power regulator on the motherboard to not enough voltage going into the 12v rail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Can you be more specific when you said "powered on an nothing"..was there any fan power up's or leds on your motherboard even for a second? or was there absolutely not a peep?
    I have seen this happen only once before and its a real pain to diagnose the exact problem..anything from a failing power regulator on the motherboard to not enough voltage going into the 12v rail

nothing no lights no fans , I'll have another go at it tomorrow , the box had a good bash in it so there might be an intermittent fault but who knows :confused:

Tony H wrote: »
    nothing no lights no fans , I'll have another go at it tomorrow , the box had a good bash in it so there might be an intermittent fault but who knows :confused:

Personally i would not try it again as you might short something on the board if you reckon the psu was damaged in transit..it would be a direct RMA for me,I have a spare corsair 650w psu if your really stuck depending on where you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I had an issue a few weeks back, when I replaced the PSU in my PC. I removed the Corsair TX650M and installed a Corsair RM850X.
    If I remember correctly, the motherboard did light up, but nothing would happen when I pushed the start button. Disconnected everything, took out the GPU, kept the minimum on, still nothing. After a CMOS reset, it worked. Still not sure why that happened.

• Advertisement

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Personally i would not try it again as you might short something on the board if you reckon the psu was damaged in transit..it would be a direct RMA for me,I have a spare corsair 650w psu if your really stuck depending on where you are?

thanks for the offer , really generous but its running fine using the 550W EVGA SuperNOVA G3 ATX PSU from the old rig , it would probably be ok keeping that in it but I'm kinda future proofing at least I thought I was ,

pic of dent in box

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ynaJu1n2FbR1tyJa6

thanks for the offer , really generous but its running fine using the 550W EVGA SuperNOVA G3 ATX PSU from the old rig , it would probably be ok keeping that in it but I'm kinda future proofing at least I thought I was ,

pic of dent in box

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ynaJu1n2FbR1tyJa6

Does not look too bad of a dent to be fair..maybe try what joypad suggested and clear the cmos and see if that works

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You're best off requesting a refund & buying a different model, than trying to diagnose the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Did you change the cabling when you switched out the PSU?

All Eyes On Rafah

Did you change the cabling when you switched out the PSU?

at first I left everything in place apart from the gpu cable which would not fit in th kolink , then tried all the kolink cables , nothing , then i used the kolink cables on the old setup and it worked no problem on the old pc , I think I'll just RMA it I think , the new setup cost too much to take any chances .

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    what is the old PSU model?

sorry missed this earlier

550W EVGA SuperNOVA G3 ATX PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

at first I left everything in place apart from the gpu cable which would not fit in th kolink , then tried all the kolink cables , nothing , then i used the kolink cables on the old setup and it worked no problem on the old pc , I think I'll just RMA it I think , the new setup cost too much to take any chances .

Power cables aren't interchangeable between modular PSUs, they tend to be pinned different so you need to swap out the cables for the ones that come with the PSU.

But if it's still working with the old PSU then definitely just rma the new one and swap out all cables next time around.

Power cables aren't interchangeable between modular PSUs, they tend to be pinned different so you need to swap out the cables for the ones that come with the PSU.

But if it's still working with the old PSU then definitely just rma the new one and swap out all cables next time around.

got a new evga supernova he 650 installed and running perfectly ,still waiting for an RMA from AWD-IT , never used them before , probably won't use them again , scan UK however are fast and great to deal with ,ordered PSU on the 11th December have it this morning from dpd at 8am .

Advertisement