Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Gigabox

Options
  • 08-12-2020 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Since switching to Vodafone gigabox my Ethernet speed is only 95 mbps compared to WiFi speeds up to 380 mbps. Called support but they’re fibbing me off. Laptop is less than a year old and had faster speeds with Eir before switching to Vodafone. Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 stiophan

Are you sure you're laptop does have a gbit LAN speed. Many laptops don't. If you check the specs of the laptop from the manufacturer website, it should tell you. Note also if you turn on energy saving feature on the router, it can downgrade the LAN connection speed to 100 vs 1000gbit. Lastly make sure you are using a nice unkinked CAT5e (or ideally CAT6 cable). These bend over time and can cut - slow connection speeds (or the router compensates for the up-down signal from the cable). Vodafones curent wifi routers have Gbit LAN connections as nobody gets 100mb on a 100mb connection nor 1000mb from a Gbit connection. Its just theoretical maximum however and remenber you are not testing the laptop against the router when doing a speed test but against your cable-router-internet connection speed-internet provider-internet

I use a Cat6e cable to be sure . Nowadays wireless starndards like wifi 6 can often be faster than most ethernet as most Laptop makes and router providers are not competing on fast LAN connections but on their WIFI capabilities and most modern USB3-4 ports can easily handle more than 1gbit throughput assuming a USB3-4 wifi dongle.

If you say you are using a brand new Cat5e/6 cable and its a gbit capable ethernet connection then the tech support can see into your router and see what speed of lan connection its both syncing with to your laptop. I use ethernet here as its just instant - low latency and no messing with wifi but thats for devices that never move, othererwise WIFI speeds are pretty quick now. So otherwise either the router ports are defective and just delivering 100mb or your laptop is not connecting at 100 or the cable is an issue now

Advertisement