Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 Race wheel

Options
  • 08-12-2020 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Looking to purchase a race wheel for mainly F12020 on PS5. Its my first one so basic / Semi decent would do to start. Any tips or recomendations? I would probably use it for other race sims when they come out.

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I'm not really sure what sims are on PS4/PS5, and I don't think a 2nd hand Logitech Driving Force GT or G27 would work, so my advice might be a little off.

Entry level (aside from complete tat that'll break in a month) is a Thrustmaster T80. Comes in at about €100-120 depending on sales etc.

It's fairly basic. It has no Force Feedback, it just uses a bungee cord to resist input, has a limited turn range, and the pedals are absolute rubbish - I think they return the brake and accelerator inputs as one axis, so you can't have brake and throttle at the same time. It'll work in F1 2020 no problem, but whether you should get it or not depends on what you're looking for in the experience of using it. If you want to get actual proper feedback from the wheel that'll tell you when the rear is starting to come around and help you control the car better, you're not going to get it from a T80. But if you don't need that for now and just want the finer control from a wheel vs. a PS5 controller, and a bit of resistance to stop you turning the wheel too far, to see do you like using a wheel, then it'd probably do.

I'd definitely expect that you'll find it lacking if you try something Assetto Corsa or Dirt 2.0 which are a bit more advanced than the F1 games on the physics front.

For proper FFB and a full rotation range you're looking at a Logitech G29 or a Thrustmaster T150. The G29 pricey enough, usually around the €300 mark, but can drop lower sales in and the like. Honestly, it's a good wheel, but it's probably slightly overpriced. It's predecessor the G27 retailed a good bit cheaper when it was new and the G29 is not really a big upgrade from it.

The T150 is a good bit less than that at around €200-220. Haven't used it, but it's got a decent enough reputation. Main downfall is that the standard version is packaged with terrible pedals. Although you can upgrade them later to a set of T3PA pedals which are better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The thing to consider is what your intending to play with your wheel of choice.
    Lets be honest F1 2020 is a very good game but its not blessed with amazing physics so a high spec wheel would be pointless [unless you already had one ofcourse].

I use a G29 with all my racing games/sims everything from forza horizon 4 to full on simulators like Raceroom,ACC,Automobilista2, rfactor2 AC etc etc
    No its nothing like a direct drive wheel but offers decent ffb and really is a great allrounder.

Personally id love to buy a direct drive wheel but since i pop in and out of simracing and play many more games i like to be able to remove and attach the wheel constantly this is where the G29 is ideal, if i was to invest in a DD wheel id have to relocate my PC or but a new one and a rig etc etc , its just not doable for me so this is my point buy to suit your needs.

Proper sims are a long way off PS5 but with a G29 your sorted for if and when.
    There is also a newer wheel from logitech G923 , ill be honest i havent bothered look into it as im very happy with what i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I'd recommend the G29 for Playstation. I have the Xbox/PC equivalent, G920, and love it. I originally bought it for Project Cars 2 on Xbox and have since moved over to ACC on PC. Think I picked it up for £180 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I only picked up a G29 (with the shifter, which I haven't used yet) over the weekend for my PS5. Have to say, it works really well compared to a controller! I know it's not the best out there, but it does what it does well, and coming from a controller it's day and night difference.

My question is, does anyone know a good, relatively cheap foldable wheel stand? I'm tempted by the GT Omega Apex stand. €140 delivered and seems to be the right job, but it doesn't look like you can adjust the angle of the stand the wheel is on, only up/down, which may not work for me.

Advertisement