Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Game Awards (10/12/2020)

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nice to see Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and a few other interesting looking titles in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RedXIV wrote: »
    Retro is gonna enjoy this one :D

What did I miss?

None of those announcements excited me at all. Ghouls n' Ghosts resurrection is the only one that has my interest piqued and even then it looks very like Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins which wasn't very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mr Crispy wrote: »

I liked the look of the Capcom arcade but then I noticed this is basically one game being free and other games being sold in packs so it basically is like any other compilation except sold in a different model.
    The Ghosts N Goblins game looks like a 2014 iOS game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The new Fullbright (Gone Home) studio’s game looks gorgeous - the heavily stylised characters against the more traditional backdrop are really striking. Wasn’t super fond of Tacoma, so hopefully this’ll work better. They do have Keri Russell and Kaitlin Dever on board, which is good :)

Season looks outrageously beautiful too, in a way that’s very different to the ways video games usually look beautiful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a look at the award winners. Pretty crappy popularity contest. Last of Us 2 walking away with a bunch of awards it didn't deserve (and missing out on one it did with soundtrack but it was a tough year there). Do agree with Laura Bailey and the accessibility award it got.

Hades at least one something.
    RedXIV wrote: »
    Retro is gonna enjoy this one :D

I think you are referring to Sephiroth in Smash? Kind of think it's awesome although nothing will ever beat Kefka making fun of Seph in Dissidia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What did I miss?

None of those announcements excited me at all. Ghouls n' Ghosts resurrection is the only one that has my interest piqued and even then it looks very like Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins which wasn't very good.

ELITE DANGEROUS ODYSSEY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Perfect Dark the clear favourite for me anyway.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Perfect Dark the clear favourite for me anyway.

The only good perfect dark game was the gameboy colour one. The original was janky and got really bad once Elvis the alien appeared and Perfect Dark Zero is garbage.

It has potential though if they reboot it well but it's a franchise that hasn't delivered and from a studio that is unproven.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will the laptop gun be replaced by a tablet gun?

Only watched a few trailers so far but imagine if there was a rule imposed where trailers had to be made up of at least 50% of actual gameplay footage.
    And I don't just mean for this show

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Flight Simulator coming to xbox next summer. Awesome :D

Yes but Xbox Series X/S only. Important distinction. Will not be on Xbox One.

So it's really one of the first truly next gen games on Xbox. (The Medium, coming out next month is also only next gen).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes but Xbox Series X/S only. Important distinction. Will not be on Xbox One.

So it's really one of the first truly next gen games on Xbox. (The Medium, coming out next month is also only next gen).

Yep - MS Flight Simulator - it's the Xbox killer app - finally ! Beautiful stuff.

Perfect Dark is yet another dystopian/zombie/fps/doom/halo yoke. Zzzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

If they're smart, they'll play up the secret agent angle with Perfect Dark, rather than go for straight-forward shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    If they're smart, they'll play up the secret agent angle with Perfect Dark, rather than go for straight-forward shooter.

I really hope so. They have Halo for the bombastic linear FPS, so let this be more akin to Arkanes offerings with multiple pathways in each map and ways to play as Joanna (one-woman army, silent assassin, hacker, unseen ghost etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The only good perfect dark game was the gameboy colour one. The original was janky and got really bad once Elvis the alien appeared and Perfect Dark Zero is garbage.

It has potential though if they reboot it well but it's a franchise that hasn't delivered and from a studio that is unproven.

I don't see what the past games being rubbish (who says garbage here?:D) has to do with new reboot.

I think it's going to be a huge game and having an impressive cinematic trailer at this stage is promising.

Also, to call it an unproven studio is harsh. They're brand new and recruited top staff from the likes of Rockstar, Naughty Dog & Bungie.

I think this studio has big ambitions and Microsoft has big plans for it.

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Yep - MS Flight Simulator - it's the Xbox killer app - finally ! Beautiful stuff.

Perfect Dark is yet another dystopian/zombie/fps/doom/halo yoke. Zzzz.

It's mad the appeal of Flight Simulator, no interest in it myself but I know a couple of gents of mature vintage, one retired one not far off it who were wetting themselves over this latest one having played older ones for many years. My bosses husband was asking me about an Xbox "for the grandkids when they are over" and if it ran flight sim earlier too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

It's mad the appeal of Flight Simulator, no interest in it myself but I know a couple of gents of mature vintage, one retired one not far off it who were wetting themselves over this latest one having played older ones for many years. My bosses husband was asking me about an Xbox "for the grandkids when they are over" and if it ran flight sim earlier too :D

It should show off what the console can do and connected to a decent TV will look amazing. Plus it's the sort of game that'll be mentioned in media apart from gaming. And it's got more universal appeal than most other Xbox games. Also, you've got the whole world plus real time weather on it pulled in from.a huge cloud service. So, it's unique in that respect. Also, it is a very authentic flight simulator with airline pilots praising it. Plus with all the crap news at the moment who wouldn't want to fly past the Pyramids or Sydney opera House or even over your own house. Also, it'll be free on game pass I presume. You can start off with baby controls and work up to a jumbo jet. Brilliant !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

An ever so slightly extended version of The Callisto Protocol's trailer has been released, with a little extra gore.

There are a few tidbits of other info over at PC Gamer, taken from a Q&A session Glen Schofield had on Discord.

Advertisement