Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 520+ opinions please

Options
  • 09-12-2020 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a Garmin 520+ but wondered if anyone here has one that might know how they perform.

I know certainly the earlier models had gremlins with software and GPS etc. Have these issues been sorted out and is the general performance now ok?

I figured I'd ask here as I'm looking for real answers rather than generic Google replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm thinking of getting a Garmin 520+ but wondered if anyone here has one that might know how they perform.

I know certainly the earlier models had gremlins with software and GPS etc. Have these issues been sorted out and is the general performance now ok?

I figured I'd ask here as I'm looking for real answers rather than generic Google replies

I have one, zero issues
    Connects easily, uploads to the app when I walk in the door. Turn by turn navigation is pretty much flawless. Battery life is very good. No issues re GPS or maps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Why not get the 530?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I've had a few issues with elevation recording, I bought mine 12 months ago and I've had to factory reset it twice which is a pain as you have to go through the whole setup again. Reconnecting your phone and sensors again. Other than that it works fine, battery life is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Whyner wrote: »
    Why not get the 530?
    I'm pretty sure the 520+ has longer battery life (hence the 'plus').

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The + is to denote that it is the newer 520 model and not that it has a better battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I have the 520 plus, there is plenty of battery life, connectivity to the accessories is flawless (heart rate monitor, cadence sensor, speed sensor)
    It can be a bit tricky connecting to my Huawei phone, but I have learnt a couple of tricks in the year I have it.
    Once connected you can then allow someone to 'live track' your cycle, send a text if it senses you've had an accident, then, the second you tell the Garmin you're finished your cycle, it uploads to Strava.
    There was a great offer on the bundle last Christmas - 299 for the HRM, speed and cadence sensors, plus the unit and an out front mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

530 has +5 hours over the 520 plus

Good review here - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-530-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html

I had a 520 and opted for the 530 over the 520 plus

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Apologies - not sure why I thought it was battery life. (It does have longer battery life than the 520 though).
    The + is to denote that it is the newer 520 model and not that it has a better battery life.
    According to the Garmin site, the '+' denotes enhanced mapping,

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I got a 520 plus last January in Halfords for €180.
    It has worked perfectly on the bike. The only issue is that recently it is a bit erratic connecting and uploading to my phone.
    The battery is excellent, using 5% per hour so I can do a few long spins between charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Apologies - not sure why I thought it was battery life. (It does have longer battery life than the 520 though).

According to the Garmin site, the '+' denotes enhanced mapping,

The 520 Plus is a newer version of the 520. Kind of like when a generation of a car model gets a facelift halfway though it's life cycle. The 530 is a whole new generation of the model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I got the 520 Plus over two years ago. Mine used to have sync issues but they seem to have been resolved over a year ago through a software update. It's worked pretty flawlessly for me since. I haven't read the reviews for the 530 so I don't know if it's worth getting that instead of the 520 Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Whyner wrote: »
    Why not get the 530?

Thanks for all the help, folks.

Reasonable question this one!

I sold my Hammerhead Karoo (fantastic device that I expected to be reduced for Black Friday - it wasn't!) and I have a Karoo 2 ordered but that won't be here till March (at the earliest). In the meantime I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 watch and, while it is flawless and gives all the stats at the end (except HRM) it's hard to read on the road, particularly with my currently wearing long sleeves and gloves. So I reckoned the 520+ gave the best bang for my buck for a short term device that I could sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Thanks for all the help, folks.

Reasonable question this one!

I sold my Hammerhead Karoo (fantastic device that I expected to be reduced for Black Friday - it wasn't!) and I have a Karoo 2 ordered but that won't be here till March (at the earliest). In the meantime I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 watch and, while it is flawless and gives all the stats at the end (except HRM) it's hard to read on the road, particularly with my currently wearing long sleeves and gloves. So I reckoned the 520+ gave the best bang for my buck for a short term device that I could sell on.

Use to use one of these Garmin watch bike mounts - it might be another short term option.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Advertisement