Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Married but mortgage as a single applicant.

• 09-12-2020 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Has anyone managed to buy a house as a single applicant even though they are married. My significant other has very little interest in buying but I'm thinking if like to make an investment. I'm currently a non property owner so think I'd be considered a first time buyer.
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

No bother doing it in sole name if you are buying it as an investment property, different though if you intend to both live in it as family home, then it's most likely all lenders will want both names on mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

phormium wrote: »
    No bother doing it in sole name if you are buying it as an investment property, different though if you intend to both live in it as family home, then it's most likely all lenders will want both names on mortgage.

Similar situation myself, what if one of the applicants has a poor credit rating that would affect approval?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

risteard7 wrote: »
    Similar situation myself, what if one of the applicants has a poor credit rating that would affect approval?

2 people applying will reduce risk to a lender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

risteard7 wrote: »

Yes, it will unfortunately. You can always make a case though, it’s ok to have a poor rating and show that it was addressed - as in you’ve now paid it back, if you’ve walked away from any debt and made no attempt to pay it back they won’t look at you.
    Where there was a bad debt it’s always worth making a case and explaining what happened. Crap happens in life, every person is different but unlikely to get approval if you washed your hands of something previously.

Advertisement