Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has your >5 year old laptop desktop aged well cosmetically?

Options
  • 09-12-2020 4:36pm

I own a 10 year old Sony vaio and a 6 year old Asus x550.

While the vaio definitely looks dated, my x550 could still look current if sold new with the current gear on offer.

My 7 year old lenovo idea pad z500 looks modern too although the screen bezel looks thick by today's standards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

My 7 year old self build desktop looks identical to when it was put together. I suppose the monitor could do with thinner bezels but they don't really bother me.

The 6 year old Lenovo G500 laptop I'm using has a fat plasticy body, thick bezels with a sub-1080 screen, is splitting at the hinges and somehow weighs more than when it was bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

My 8 year old MacBook Pro looks like new. I've had it covered with a skin from iCarbons, so the exterior looks the same.
    Inside, the brushed aluminium looks the same as it did when I got it. Screen is in great shape, albeit with poor resolution by today's standards (1280x800 pixels, pre-Retina design), and thick bezels.

Inside, the 2.8GHz Core i7 still feels fast enough. I've replaced the HDD with an SSD and upgraded the RAM to 8Gb, and it's all working fine. Even the battery life is still solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

My 10yr old desktop I7 940 FCLGA1366 with 12GB RAM is still running great. The M/B is Asus Rampage 2 Extreme. I build it in Jul 2010.

Only upgrade since were 500GB SSD and a graphic card (GTX 580).
    It went through WinXP, Win7 and then Win10 as OSs.

I don't think I will be letting it go anytime soon. The boot to login screen is about 20-30 sec which is impressive for 10yr old machine.
    It has an SSD since 2011 (Kingston 64GB --> Crucial 240GB --> Samsung 500GB)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Very similar to last post!

i7 860 with 12gb RAM, Chillblast build approx 10 -11 years ago I think.

Replaced HDD with SSD & went from Win 7 to 10; otherwise no changes.

No need or desire to change, it's perfectly adequate for what I need.

Due a clean re-install though :p

Probably more in line with what OP meant: I have a couple of old laptops that haven't fared as well. Exteriors are marked and scratched, have been considering having a go with the airbrush....

Advertisement