Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Addresses post December 2020

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm surprised it didn't mention it in the app as I'd use that often since so many other parcels come via DPD too. I've credit in my parcelmotel account too so I would've just used that if I'd known.
    Regularly check my spam so definitely didn't go in there. I did get an email from ParcelConnect though.

More annoyed at losing my £4.99 postage fee and I sent to UK address to ensure delivery before xmas. Now I've to find another present for my brother in law. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

No they didn't! I didn't receive anything and no other regular users I know did either. Only found out a few mins ago they sent out comms on it after I posted it on twitter.
    I've a parcel thats going to be returned to sender now and I'll loose postage fee.

Comms was terrible, but that's not surprising based on my previous experience with DPD.

Ya I got a text 2 days ago saying my parcel was at virtual address, and they stopped doing deliveries since 11th December. First time I've got that message.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    SJS is someone I've used a good bit in the past for those hard to find bits.
    Great for random bits and pieces that even your LBS have never heard of. Eurocycles are not a bad place to hit up for such things, I was surprised to find out a few years ago.
    Tony04 wrote: »
    Only thing id be missing about wiggle crc is some of the dhb stuff, which is starting to become overpriced now that theyre establishing themselves. And the vitus bikes are nice for the price.
    People keep saying this and ou get the odd bargain but in my experience, most German brands do just as good or better, for cheaper. MTBs are a prime example where everyone and their mother tells me what great value VITUS are and I simply look at a comparable CUBE and its typically higher specced, lighter and cheaper.
    I would miss merlin and pbk though as they have some nice deals.
    Definitely miss Merlin, always been a fan of DEDA finishing kit and its always way cheaper on Merlin.
    The other thing im really missing is ebay uk have found some savage deals on used components there before, i was using dpda parcel wizard which has now stopped. Other than word of mouth i dont know where im going to get used components, hopefully ill figure something else out rather than having to pay a premium on adverts.ie. was looking on ebay de and fr but they have no selection like ebay uk has.
    Maybe some of the smaller non commercial sites like LFGSS or YACF forums (kind of like our adverts sub forum), can post direct and go around the ebay thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

CramCycle wrote: »
    Great for random bits and pieces that even your LBS have never heard of. Eurocycles are not a bad place to hit up for such things, I was surprised to find out a few years ago.

People keep saying this and ou get the odd bargain but in my experience, most German brands do just as good or better, for cheaper. MTBs are a prime example where everyone and their mother tells me what great value VITUS are and I simply look at a comparable CUBE and its typically higher specced, lighter and cheaper.

Definitely miss Merlin, always been a fan of DEDA finishing kit and its always way cheaper on Merlin.

Maybe some of the smaller non commercial sites like LFGSS or YACF forums (kind of like our adverts sub forum), can post direct and go around the ebay thing.

Will have to see how pans out with the forums. LFGSS had great deals regularly. All 3 of my current frames and 2 of the wheelsets came from there. UK market has great variety and value in 2nd hand stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alanbt wrote: »
    Will have to see how pans out with the forums. LFGSS had great deals regularly. All 3 of my current frames and 2 of the wheelsets came from there. UK market has great variety and value in 2nd hand stuff

I don't look at it as much as I used too but it is funny to see how a larger market affects sales in 2nd hand sub forums. I see things over there going for near new in both condition and price that you couldn't give away here. I got a mint Redline BMX from HarryBelafonte for €100 that I could have sold over there for a couple of hundred (I didn't, it's a cracking bike to ride around on), on the same note, stuff here that goes for asking and immediately ,would barely get anything over there because its so common place, there simply isn't a great market as its saturated. If it wasn't for a I feel more secure being able to show items here and not run the risk of shipping back and forth and the issues that might bring about, it would certainly be a better move to sell over there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Theres a recent tale of woe on lfgss about someone who sold a frame to a well known eBay etc "vintage" seller in Europe.

The buyer claimed it never arrived and got their money refunded, and it turned up for sale a while later and the new seller stated they'd gotten it from the vintage seller.

A whole web of bs ensued and the frame ended up back where it began over a year later.

I've bought a few things from lfgss and see some lovely bikes there for sale well below what I'd get here, but shipping was an issue for some.

Currently lusting over an equilibrium someone's selling on it.

I've noticed people selling stuff on here that they're also trying to flog there too. (Mods cAn be members of other forums too)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ya I got a text 2 days ago saying my parcel was at virtual address, and they stopped doing deliveries since 11th December. First time I've got that message.

Same happened to me then for this one. Got my parcel last week, no hassle once I'd topped up my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

I was picking up my AddressPal delivery yesterday, yay, and the post master told me An Post are working on a German AddressPal arrangement. Presumably at the new rate of €6.50 minimum. I feel An Post are not too thrilled with the new task of being tax collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Canyon pausing deliveries to Britain, stopping deliveries to NI...

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/12/no-canyons-for-christmas-as-brexit-forces-delays-for-uk-orders/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

woody33 wrote: »
    I was picking up my AddressPal delivery yesterday, yay, and the post master told me An Post are working on a German AddressPal arrangement. Presumably at the new rate of €6.50 minimum. I feel An Post are not too thrilled with the new task of being tax collectors.

Don't understand how this is going to be much of an advantage or am I missing something? I have bought a lot of gear from German online stores over the years and the basic shipping cost is €9.95. With a German AP it would cost €6.50 + €4.95/€2.95 for orders over €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

woody33 wrote: »

I bought a couple of one for all vouchers from An post yesterday and they charged a service fee with VAT included at 23% while the rate should be 21%.

So I’d struggle to see how An Post would be any use as tax collectors if they can’t get their own tax right

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any idea what the heading on the recent email from PM is all about? Seems to give the opposite message to the text of the email.

537365.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Yes, poor choice of words - they are using Under Construction to mean Temporarily Out of Service, like during road works.

The main message is unchanged - anything already on the PM premises will be delivered, but anything that arrives from now on will be returned to the original sender.

PITA when some sellers dragged their heels in sending things that will now be sent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Will parcel motel return the balance in accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

koutoubia wrote: »
    Will parcel motel return the balance in accounts?

No, very much doubt it as they are keeping open the RoI service......

I had a parcel delivered (signed for) to Belfast on 23rd and it hasn't yet shown up on the service; my fingers are crossed that this is due to holiday delays and that it will be sent on before the shutters come down.

Weepsie wrote: »
    PITA when some sellers dragged their heels in sending things that will now be sent back.

These snuck through and I picked them up last night. They were the very last things I had to my PM other than 2 orders that never made it there and have since been refunded.

Advertisement