Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1000 PC build.

Options
  • 09-12-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey, my nephew wants to build his first PC and my sister asked me what he should be buying. I have only build one PC five years ago and I'm not familiar with the newer stuff around for a 1k PC build. Anyone have any suggestions on what parts would be good at that price point. Not sure if he is including his monitor in the 1k price. Any suggestion would be great appreciated
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Midian_IRL wrote: »
    Hey, my nephew wants to build his first PC and my sister asked me what he should be buying. I have only build one PC five years ago and I'm not familiar with the newer stuff around for a 1k PC build. Anyone have any suggestions on what parts would be good at that price point. Not sure if he is including his monitor in the 1k price. Any suggestion would be great appreciated
    Thanks.

Hi, we need to know a monitor (1080p, 1440p or 4K and MHz), also, we definitely should know if a total of 1k is incl. or excl. a monitor.

And the last thing is what games and software will run on this machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Midian_IRL

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    Hi, we need to know a monitor (1080p, 1440p or 4K and MHz), also, we definitely should know if a total of 1k is incl. or excl. a monitor.

And the last thing is what games and software will run on this machine?

He wants it for gaming and schoolwork. I know he mostly plays the Call of Duty series and Minecraft. Let's say the 1k is for parts excluding the monitor. He should be happy enough with 1080p gaming.
    Thanks.

He wants it for gaming and schoolwork. I know he mostly plays the Call of Duty series and Minecraft. Let's say the 1k is for parts excluding the monitor. He should be happy enough with 1080p gaming.
    Thanks.
    Perhaps something like that: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GGyTz7

This would run Call of Duty on medium video settings (for high you'd need Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 and a better CPU which would blow the budget) and Minecraft without any issues as it doesn't require high specs.

I'd just add a second drive, probably HDD as it's cheeper, maybe 1TB or even 2TB storage and as a primary drive it could be M.2 500GB (much faster than HDD) would be just for Windows and some frequently used files and software (for school).

You can of course find another case, this is just an example. But buying a case the most important is air flow. Even most expensive cases can be very bad with air flow so just look around and Google a bit. Eg., Corsair 275 Airflow edition or Corsair 465X are great cases! Both of these cases come with prebuilt front fans.

I'd recommend to invest in PSU and get 650 or 750W 80+ Gold standard and fully or at least semi-modular as it saves space, as they're more quiet and also it will loose some power within years. PSU normally from good brands go with a 5-10 year warranty. More expensive ones would be more reliable and wouldn't be a need to change them in case if after some year you'd deside to change GPU or CPU.

Please take my advise with a pinch of salt and see what others will say.

That looks great. Thanks for your input.

That looks great. Thanks for your input.
    Are you thinking to build it yourself or buy from store? Is this for Xmas? I don't think you'd get the parts for Christmas, us a lot of parts are out of stock due to high demand. Myself currently have to wait until January - such a pain :D

If you buy from Currys/PC Word, DID, Power City, Littlewoodsireland etc, be very careful and read a description well as they tend to make PC complectation from the cheapest possible options with cheap brands.

• Advertisement

He wants to build it himself as soon as possible. I've told my sister to try and convince him that there was no rush, if he waits a bit he can save more and build a better PC haha. When I built my PC years ago I used hardwareverand.de for most of my parts. That site seems to be gone now, is there a preferred site people buy from these days?

He wants to build it himself as soon as possible. I've told my sister to try and convince him that there was no rush, if he waits a bit he can save more and build a better PC haha. When I built my PC years ago I used hardwareverand.de for most of my parts. That site seems to be gone now, is there a preferred site people buy from these days?
    Amazon, Overclockers.co.uk, Scan.co.uk, mindfactory.de, just check if prices are including VAT.

Be aware that PSU best is to be ordered from ROI or the UK due to a power plug (or a cable can be bought separately, depending on type of PSU).

When building, google well about the parts. Eg., AMD is now better than Intel in the mid-range - much more performance for a lower price. If thinking of CPU 5600X, it will not be compatable with older motherboards, so better is to check full complectation on https://pcpartpicker.com/ how well it will work when assembled. AMD 5600XT GPU has a lot of issues with drivers/bios(uefi). This is the reason I've chosen AMD PCU but NVidia GPU.

GPUs are very expensive now and people say prices will start stabilise only after 3-6 months. I wask hoping to get everything cheaper on a Black Friday but to my dissapointment, some part were cheaper, some more expensive, but hard to get due to demand! I'm planning to get a PC from Spring already but didn't buy as first was waiting for new AMD CPU and now waiting for prices to drop and parts be in stock - seems a never ending adventure!

I'd say we will all be ordering from German sites after January 1st haha. No idea how Brexit will affect the cost of parts etc. Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Target the 5600X, 16GB RAM, B550 motherboard and then probably something like a 3060ti. Very little stock at the moment and what's out there is over priced. I recommend the KOLINK Enclave 700W PSU.

Target the 5600X, 16GB RAM, B550 motherboard and then probably something like a 3060ti. Very little stock at the moment and what's out there is over priced. I recommend the KOLINK Enclave 700W PSU.

That's a great advise, but not for 1k ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    That's a great advise, but not for 1k ;)

£279.99 for the CPU
    £369 for the GPU

Should be doable, no?

If not I'd go with the 3600 non-X £180 or wait for the 5600 non-X.

Obviously things are nuts at the moment price-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

£279.99 for the CPU
    £369 for the GPU

Should be doable, no?

If not I'd go with the 3600 non-X £180 or wait for the 5600 non-X.

Obviously things are nuts at the moment price-wise.

GBP 649 = EUR 711.
    That doesn't leave enough budget for the rest of the components.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

I suggest waiting. The PC parts market is a total dumpster fire right now. Make that, a dumpster fire, inside a car crash, inside a train wreck, inside a volcano.

Both NVIDIA and AMD have "released" the next generation of hardware, Nvidia (with the GeForce 3000 Ampere series) and AMD (with the Radeon RX6000 series GPUs and the Ryzen 5000 CPUs). The problems are multi-fold:
    1. They've started at the high end and are over time working their way down to mid-range parts. NVIDIA has started working towards the mid-range with the GeForce 3060 Ti, but most of the goodies for mid-range won't even be announced officially until early next year, and is likely to include a GeForce 3050 (Ti), AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT and maybe lower, and AMD non-X Ryzen 5000 CPUs.
    2. Supply - not just of the new generation components but also of previous gen gear - is beyond appalling. Not only are the "new" graphics cards basically unavailable, but even AMD Navi (Radeon RX 5000 series) and NVIDIA Turing are either almost or totally unavailable. Basically, the only "new" graphics cards that are widely available today are mid-range GeForce Pascal cards and Radeon RX 500 series cards left over from 2017. About the only half-decent things you can buy today are the Ryzen 3000 CPUs but even those are starting to show signs of age, and were never great gaming CPUs. And forget about Intel, they're still rehashing and repackaging processor tech from the mid to late 2010s and they probably will be for at least another year. Like I said, a complete dumpster fire.
    3. We're already seeing games like Cyberpunk 2077 that push even the new tech to its limits.
    At the €1000 price point, you want not only more options in the mid-range space, but with hardware that is actually available to sell. Neither will happen before Christmas, hopefully Q1 next year but Q2 is also a possibility.

Advertisement