Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not hearing back about an offer

Options
  • 09-12-2020 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I have offers in on 2 places at the moment. As far as I know, I'm the highest bidder on both. I only made the offer on the second one after weeks had passed without hearing back about the first one (I've left messages).

My question is, is it normal to not hear back regarding an offer for weeks, beyond having it accepted by the estate agent? Both places have been on the market for months and months, so it's not like there's a bidding frenzy going on on either.

It's just really frustrating. Either accept the offer, or tell me you're not interested. I don't want to withdraw either offer yet as I really like both places, but equally I'm not willing to sit hear like a chump for months with my offers, until something better comes along for the seller.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Shelga wrote: »
    I have offers in on 2 places at the moment. As far as I know, I'm the highest bidder on both. I only made the offer on the second one after weeks had passed without hearing back about the first one (I've left messages).

My question is, is it normal to not hear back regarding an offer for weeks, beyond having it accepted by the estate agent? Both places have been on the market for months and months, so it's not like there's a bidding frenzy going on on either.

It's just really frustrating. Either accept the offer, or tell me you're not interested. I don't want to withdraw either offer yet as I really like both places, but equally I'm not willing to sit hear like a chump for months with my offers, until something better comes along for the seller.

You could put a deadline on your offers
    Tell the EA your offer is only good until ( insert date ) and after that you are withdrawing your offer
    The vendor is not obliged to either accept or decline the offer
    He can just sit on it
    If they are there for months it could be a bank or a fund selling or a probate sale

and family members can’t agree on the offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

Friend of mine had similar issue,, it was a probate issue. ( and the vendors were holding out for more)

Put a time limit on the offer might be the only way to get them to move a long a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Even putting a time limit on an offer doesn't seem to effect some EAs. I had one EA come back to me a year after our offer expired saying that the vendor was prepared to accept our offer! Of course we refused (had moved on) and then I saw the property was back on the market a week later for 50K less than our original offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Twice I’ve told EA’s that I’ve found 2 places I like and have made offers on both and it’ll be the first to accept that I’m going with.

It worked both times.

Advertisement