Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

An old lad I know visited another old bachelor neighbour one Christmas. The bachelor asked would he have a glass of whiskey and your man said he would. He then took down a glass from the dresser, which he used to wash and keep his razor in and poured the whiskey. My man said there was stubble stuck on the glass aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Thepillowman

Heard this story second hand - guy goes into knackers yard and there's yer man sitting on a dead cow drinking tea and eating a sandwich. He stands up and leaves his half eaten sandwich on the cows belly.

My late father knew a guy who worked in a knackery back in the 60s. reckoned any thing that came in fairly fresh yer man would take a few prime cuts to bring home for the dinner. Same fella lived into his 90s.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

God ,this thread .i dont know whos worse the subjects or the people talking about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My late father knew a guy who worked in a knackery back in the 60s. reckoned any thing that came in fairly fresh yer man would take a few prime cuts to bring home for the dinner. Same fella lived into his 90s.

See that's the thing, it didnt do them any harm. The way people carry on now with everything having to be spotless cant be good either. There is a medium I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

whelan2 wrote: »
    See that's the thing, it didnt do them any harm. The way people carry on now with everything having to be spotless cant be good either. There is a medium I think

Maybe you should get a few more wares out the ole gloves then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

K.G. wrote: »
    God ,this thread .i dont know whos worse the subjects or the people talking about them.

Yea,
    But we all like what we’re doing and think doing it any other way is often rooting

Neighbor is a bachelor, now in late 70’s. Every few years he goes on a spending spree. About 15years ago he bought a tractor and a rubber wheeled digger, maybe a Ford I don’t remember.

The digger was scrap, it spent more time being fixed than digging, we can all get stuck with a Turkey sometimes.

The digger finished its life in the river. He got down into the river where he was driving along and scooping up the bed behind him onto the bank with the back actor, summer and the water was low. It gave up anyway and he couldn’t get it going, had someone look at it but it seemed serious. She was there with jacks down and everything.

Four years it sat in the river until it was sold for scrap. Dragged out with an ex120 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

_Brian wrote: »
    Neighbor is a bachelor, now in late 70’s. Every few years he goes on a spending spree. About 15years ago he bought a tractor and a rubber wheeled digger, maybe a Ford I don’t remember.

The digger was scrap, it spent more time being fixed than digging, we can all get stuck with a Turkey sometimes.

The digger finished its life in the river. He got down into the river where he was driving along and scooping up the bed behind him onto the bank with the back actor, summer and the water was low. It gave up anyway and he couldn’t get it going, had someone look at it but it seemed serious. She was there with jacks down and everything.

Four years it sat in the river until it was sold for scrap. Dragged out with an ex120 I think.

Why didnt he dig off the bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Why didnt he dig off the bank

Because he was a rooter :-D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon contracting in the early days must have been rough. One lad I know when he was finished a smallish silage pit was surprised that instead of buying a sheet of plastic, the woman of the house had made a sheet out of empty plastic bags and 'welded' them together with the iron.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    I reckon contracting in the early days must have been rough. One lad I know when he was finished a smallish silage pit was surprised that instead of buying a sheet of plastic, the woman of the house had made a sheet out of empty plastic bags and 'welded' them together with the iron.

That was quite the job. The electricity would have paid for a cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Young fella (mid 20’s) near me milking 400 cows and I swear to God his skin is gone a real pale brown hue.
    He is basically gone brown from milking cows.
    I suppose milking 400 cows twice a day in parlour would do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Anyone else using this thread for ideas and plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Danzy wrote: »
    Anyone else using this thread for ideaa and plans?

Aye am going to save the fertiliser bags for the pit. Pit is 120ft by 60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jb1989

_Brian wrote: »
    That was quite the job. The electricity would have paid for a cover.

Could been a hot iron from the fireside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

They're still being knocked to this day.
    People generally in this country don't like old and esp small and old houses.

It doesn't help things like help to buy incintivise new builds as opposed to retrofitd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Heard this story second hand - guy goes into knackers yard and there's yer man sitting on a dead cow drinking tea and eating a sandwich. He stands up and leaves his half eaten sandwich on the cows belly.

My great Grandparents used to do they same apparently.

An old lad who could remember them skining an animial when he was a young lad told me about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The lads at silage years ago were mad. A guy drawing here one time told me he was nosing out the gate of a field one day and this woman came flying around the corner. She took the front axle and wheels completely off. He was roaring laughing telling me.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Thepillowman

whelan2 wrote: »
    Aye am going to save the fertiliser bags for the pit. Pit is 120ft by 60

Stick in an odd meal bag just for the bit of variety

The lads at silage years ago were mad. A guy drawing here one time told me he was nosing out the gate of a field one day and this woman came flying around the corner. She took the front axle and wheels completely off. He was roaring laughing telling me.

Were some fair rough operators out there alright. The typical ones were the Zetor 8011 crew with homemade trailers. I remember years back one of them pulling in with a load and tipping but the whole body of the trailer came off with the load. 2 days or more to put in 13 acres of grass would have been typical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Remember the silage men often here for three days in the 80s. Waiting for parts , snoozing under the trailers when they weren't skimming the cream from the bulk tank.

The shock I got as a young fellow when the follow on lot did the job in a day.

Great times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I remember years ago, at silage, there were some rough farm houses we foddered in. I remember one in particular being in the kitchen and the washing line went from one wall to the opposite, right above the kitchen table. The farmers wife was dishing out the food anyways and it came to the potatoes, still in their jackets in a saucepan, they were still quite hot and maybe stuck to the saucepan and after a bit of hand burning, she took down an underpants off the washing line to use as a glove. Not many spuds were eaten that day. Would be common enough also to be given an alcoholic beverage with your dinner in some farmhouses.

I Would be common enough also to be give an alcoholic beverage with your dinner in some farmhouse.

It was a bad house that wouldnt give you one. One particular old man used to have the water trough near the pit packed with pint bottles of Guinness and Harp for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Could been a hot iron from the fireside.

Thats experience talking id say ; )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

The lads at the silage might get a shower of rain and there would be 4 or 5 tractors and trailers a harvester a loading shovel and maybe a mower outside the local pub for hours. Then there might be a Clearance and the circus convoy would move on. Simpler times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Have to say the contractors we get there coming here since mid 70s , i only remeber late 80s onwards, but id say they were top of here game at the time, i have a picture here when my father let out 20 or 30 acres to them , the picture of two New Holland yellow combines going in to start harvesting, ones without a cab but very big machine even today, that was around 1977 no later. Seen a picture taken around 1990 of thier silage outfit, big john deere 33 series pulling silerator and 2 Fiat 110-90s drawing in. also had a ford 6600 drawing, would have been the ;last few years of timber trailer. they definitly had self propelled class by 1994, and full fleet of jogn deeres drawing in all red rock and ruscon trailers. always had proper farm jcb loader too even in 80s.

I know of a place it took 4 combines,nearly 3 weeks to cut 9 acres of barley....this was less than 5 years ago

The ould lads about,made out a threshing machine would have been quicker!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I know of a place it took 4 combines,nearly 3 weeks to cut 9 acres of barley....this was less than 5 years ago

The ould lads about,made out a threshing machine would have been quicker!!

what was going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    It was a bad house that wouldnt give you one. One particular old man used to have the water trough near the pit packed with pint bottles of Guinness and Harp for us.

The contractor that used come here years ago had a theory that if a house had more than two chimneys you wouldn’t get well fed.

Bigger farmers were stingier with the grub.

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    what was going on?

A string of break downs,one of those combines managed about 7 feet before throwing leg out through the block,

Another done one and half rounds of the field,before plumes of black smoke took over

Another bearing or something went,that took weeks at local fabricators to take out

I think the last one done the vast majority of it....i bought some of the straw for there,e8 a bale off the field,god knows if il ever see that again

Tillage wouldnt be the big concern about here,just seems the worst dose of hardship tbh,lads hauling 40 year old combines out and spending weeks getting em ready and still end up with breakdowns....but they love it!

Advertisement