Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Augeo wrote: »
    At a guess, rough out sort of chap......... penny wise pound foolish...... spends hours repairing something instead of spending €20 etc etc.

Corrugated iron stuck in ditches instead of fence repair etc etc etc etc

A Clown ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I am ticking a lot more boxes on this thread than I'd like...

:(;):p:) :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

whelan2 wrote: »
    People always being late really annoys me. Anyone can get delayed but when it's the same people all the time ....

Great thread lads.

This one has stuck with me. I work with a lad who is late every single day. Starting time is 7 and he rocks up at ten past, maybe 8 and even the days he does make it in on time he lies in the car til at least 7.05.

He'd do your head in and his excuse is always "ah sure you know yourself the duvet got a hold off me".

We've all just washed our hands of his nonsense because when the work gets slack he'll be the first one to get the gate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Newuser2 wrote: »
    What's a rooter?
    Many years ago my elderly parents in law went to visit their son in Australia. After a few days settling in my BIL decided to have a party/barbecue and invite some of his friends and neighbours around to meet the parents. All was going well as they sat down to eat until one of the neighbours asked his Mam what they did during the day and she replied - we spent the day rooting around the garden and the garage :eek:
    Edit to add that it was a trip of a lifetime for them as the furthest place that the had ever been previously was Wales. They originally were supposed to stay 10 weeks in Aus but they cut is short and arrived home 3 weeks later. TBH they were overwhelmed by the size of the Continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Aravo

mfceiling wrote: »
    We've all just washed our hands of his nonsense because when the work gets slack he'll be the first one to get the gate!!

You might think that would be the case, but these boyo's have a tendency to hang in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Aravo wrote: »
    You might think that would be the case, but these boyo's have a tendency to hang in there.

A great vit of advice i got from an Uncle when i started out in Sydney was dont be seen hanging around go for a walk go to the canteen or go to the bathroom, if the foreman cant see you he must presume youre flat out. Put it to the test one day with an agency just before i headed off farming again and took the piss altogether. Got told that evening its grest to have you here and well keep you on this job and if theres anymore as handy as ye bring them on, pity i was heading off the following day.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Aravo wrote: »

I drove for a lad years ago and he said "it's awful easy keep a useless cnut because when you're busy you need him and when you're quite you cant get rid of him because all the good lads find it easy to get jobs somewhere else" he had a point in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Doesn't believe in fences
    Doesn't believe in insurance
    Doesn't believe in liability
    Rents land from lads that don't have insurance
    No problem fencing at 1am when department of agriculture is contacted
    Thinks it's ok to ignore the court... pure sign of a rooter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i learned off a an auld dog of a labourer how to do that on buildings sites, very easy to escape, the number 1 enemy is the phone, keep that in pocket or better in van all day bar lunch, tipping and prodding with a shovel and generally back bent down all day noone says a word! better behind a mixer throwing sand in, noone ever comes near for fear of having to throw a few bags of cement in!!

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i learned off a an auld dog of a labourer how to do that on buildings sites, very easy to escape, the number 1 enemy is the phone, keep that in pocket or better in van all day bar lunch, tipping and prodding with a shovel and generally back bent down all day noone says a word! better behind a mixer throwing sand in, noone ever comes near for fear of having to throw a few bags of cement in!!

Heard of a lad that had the shovel as clean as the day he bought it after a year before, all it did was rest on his shoulder while he was walking around from one end of the site to the other.
    Another trick i had was the measuring tape extended when you were walking around or if youre looking at semething.
    Looking busy is an art in itself. Definitly getting thd stepcounts up these last two weeks with January being a quiete month.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Dickie10 wrote: »

Biggest part of looking busy is always to have something in your hand. Bit of 4x2 was always good. As an auld skin once told me "If you're marching then you're not fighting" don't think I ever saw the same lad do an ounce of work but he was the busiest man on site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

But could you be bothered. Is it not the hardest and longest day if you’re doing nothing. I worked on plenty of sites in my younger days and the busier the better for me as the day flew.

I remember one site one time which there genuinely was nothing for doing for about 3 weeks. Longest 3 weeks of my life.

Enjoy what you do and you’ll never work a day in your life - bit like farming really!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Who is he anyway? I love watching his videos

A guy at work reckons he lives near the Ballyhoura mountains in Cork, no idea who he is.

A comic genius though.

His clip “Outbreak” I’ve seen about 20 times and still find it funny

I think he’s the only agricultural comedian on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

He is from Cork, a bit of a Jerry Mac he is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I drove for a lad years ago and he said "it's awful easy keep a useless cnut because when you're busy you need him and when you're quite you cant get rid of him because all the good lads find it easy to get jobs somewhere else" he had a point in fairness

Year's back the only large source of employment locally was the coal mines in Arigna, realistically it was either go mining or emigrate for most young men. The price of coal would fluctuate and the workforce ebbed and flowed depending on the demand for fuel.

The mining business was going through a particularly tough time one summer and there wasn't much work going. One local lad who was seemingly always work shy happened to enquire about a job during the lull in demand. He arrived in when the morning shift was assembling for the day's work and walked straight up to one of the foremen and asked for "the start". The foreman told him there wasn't much to do atm due to the falling price of coal, our man replied straight faced that "it wouldn't take much to keep me busy". Surprisingly enough he didn't get a job on that particular day.

Dunedin wrote: »
    But could you be bothered. Is it not the hardest and longest day if you’re doing nothing. I worked on plenty of sites in my younger days and the busier the better for me as the day flew.

I remember one site one time which there genuinely was nothing for doing for about 3 weeks. Longest 3 weeks of my life.

Enjoy what you do and you’ll never work a day in your life - bit like farming really!!!

Id agree 100% with you but youd have the odd quiete day here and there and youd need to pace yourself so youre not seen standing around.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

A lad on the county council once said to me....."you get paid the same for marching as for fighting"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I think it has all changed now on the building sites, for every lad on the ground now actually doing the work they are 3 or 4 pen pushers up the line keeping an eye on him and telling him how it should be done and what time it should be done by, and that same lad on the ground has to do enough work to pay for all those pen pushers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Years ago was doing agency work on sites. Was very little to do one Friday so used my initiative and went to the basement and started to sweep it.

Was in the pub that evening and got a call from the agency that I was off the site as the foreman had seen me going to the basement to hide. ****ing gob****e.

Was raging. Agency lad knew by my reaction that I was genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Mimon wrote: »
    Years ago was doing agency work on sites. Was very little to do one Friday so used my initiative and went to the basement and started to sweep it.

Was in the pub that evening and got a call from the agency that I was off the site as the foreman had seen me going to the basement to hide. ****ing gob****e.

Was raging. Agency lad knew by my reaction that I was genuine.
    It was the foreman that should have been sacked, having agency lads on site and having no work organized for them.

• Advertisement

kerryjack wrote: »
    It was the foreman that should have been sacked, having agency lads on site and having no work organized for them.

And not even bothered to check the basement to see what was done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

funny thread , very enjoyable and much of it truth

ive an uncle who is a farmer ( well in his seventies now and a bachelor )

he has an interesting approach to machinery expenditure , he probably spends about 1500 euro per year with a mechanic to fix an old ball of crap of a tractor , i reckon the tractor is in this mechanics garage about two months of each calendar year , if you suggested to my uncle that he instead buy a new tractor , he would think you were stone mad

he has been that way as long as i can remember , never has a decent going tractor and has a midas touch for buying trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    funny thread , very enjoyable and much of it truth

ive an uncle who is a farmer ( well in his seventies now and a bachelor )

he has an interesting approach to machinery expenditure , he probably spends about 1500 euro per year with a mechanic to fix an old ball of crap of a tractor , i reckon the tractor is in this mechanics garage about two months of each calendar year , if you suggested to my uncle that he instead buy a new tractor , he would think you were stone mad

he has been that way as long as i can remember , never has a decent going tractor and has a midas touch for buying trouble

Careful now, he might be reading this and there goes the farm to your cousin:D

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    .........he probably spends about 1500 euro per year with a mechanic to fix an old ball of crap of a tractor , i reckon the tractor is in this mechanics garage about two months of each calendar year.........

Small money if it does what he needs it to do when it's about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Yes and the other thing is that his tractor hasn't got any further to depreciate so he is not losing any money annually on tractor depreciation!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I've a friend who has to buy a load of "bargain" machinery for the same money he'd buy one decent machine. For example he bought three tractors averaging 10 grand each he told me they are worth 13 grand each and that the lad he bought each tractor off thought there was something major wrong with the machine when in fact there wasn't t.. His view was to work them a while then sell them to make money and do the same thing over again. So he bought these tractors and by now he has spent a few grand on each machine.. He at the moment has no decent working tractor and alot of animals to feed and tbh still will try get a bargain again and repeat his mistakes. More time is spent trying to fix machines than there is looking after the stock which I really can't understand.

€1500 is hardly small money to spend on repairs. In 10 years he’ll have spent €15k and still have no tractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Dunedin wrote: »
    €1500 is hardly small money to spend on repairs. In 10 years he’ll have spent €15k and still have no tractor.

He's hardly spending that though every year. If he is he'll have a perfect tractor or he has a dear mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Reggie. wrote: »
    A lad on the county council once said to me....."you get paid the same for marching as for fighting"

Pretty much says it all about council job for life lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Pretty much says it all about council job for life lads.

I was subbed in on a maintenance contract in a factory in Dublin for a year, injection moulding and laser etching stuff. Guy that had me subbed in said I wouldn’t always be busy so sometimes I’d have to look busy. Jesus you’d get the odd full week with nothing happening. I was in the factory floor in a clean room. Longest Feckin week of your life. I couldn’t stick that rubbish.

Advertisement