Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants without the time limit

Options
  • 09-12-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

I see that restaurants and pubs now only need to keep to the 1hour 45 minutes limit if they are not able to sit you 2m apart. I haven't been able to find any so far that we can have a longer sitting. Can anyone recommend anywhere in Dublin where you can have food and drinks at your leisure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DubLad69 wrote: »
    I see that restaurants now only need to keep to the 1hour 45 minutes limit if they are not able to sit you 2m apart. I haven't been able to find any so far that we can have a longer sitting. Can anyone recommend anywhere in Dublin where you can have food and drinks at your leisure?

Why would they. They need to make money and that's done on the food. As many folks as they can get through a table is better for a struggling business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

DubLad69 wrote: »
    I see that restaurants now only need to keep to the 1hour 45 minutes limit if they are not able to sit you 2m apart. I haven't been able to find any so far that we can have a longer sitting. Can anyone recommend anywhere in Dublin where you can have food and drinks at your leisure?

If you can handle an outside area they are way more likely to leave you be.

If you go on a Monday to wednesday night they are way more likely to let you sit inside for ages too.

If you go at say 3pm rather than a peak time too.

Basically you'l be left alone if your not in a spot that's not busy and your drinking away in my recent experience.

I presume your looking at peak times which is why they are saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you've got a table that's drinking lots of wine they're worth more to you than turning it over for a new crowd that might not - wine is much more profitable than food - so theres a reason for a restaurant to do it if they can.

There are some larger pubs that are using their spacing to not have to do time limits.

However, I'm not aware of any restaurants doing it and its generally suburban pubs - you need a lot of space to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Previous normal Decembers in Dublin you would have had option of early or late sitting but maybe 2.5 hours in most places. So there might be christmas hours as much as covid ones.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The 2 metre rule isn't new it's been there since June. I stayed in Dunboyne Castle (almost Dublin) before level 5 and they had 2 metres between tables. I'd imagine this close to Christmas though they'd want quicker turnover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭DubLad69

L1011 wrote: »
    If you've got a table that's drinking lots of wine they're worth more to you than turning it over for a new crowd that might not - wine is much more profitable than food - so theres a reason for a restaurant to do it if they can.

There are some larger pubs that are using their spacing to not have to do time limits.

However, I'm not aware of any restaurants doing it and its generally suburban pubs - you need a lot of space to do it.

Even a pub will do if anyone knows anywhere specifically. In North/West Dublin or City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

White House, Baldoyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Does anyone know the story with the Guinness Storehouse?
    A few of us have free 'frontline worker' tickets to be used before the end of the year, so looking to go next week. But there is no mention of having food and/or time limits in the gravity bar or the whole storehouse that I can find?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

retalivity wrote:
    Does anyone know the story with the Guinness Storehouse? A few of us have free 'frontline worker' tickets to be used before the end of the year, so looking to go next week. But there is no mention of having food and/or time limits in the gravity bar or the whole storehouse that I can find?

But they still have to stick with the current health & safety guidelines. No food =no alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

You get the self guided tour and one drink in the gravity bar. No option to buy more. But it is an enjoyable experience and view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    But they still have to stick with the current health & safety guidelines. No food =no alcohol

Blind eye is being turned to tourist sites with pub licences basically - Guinness and all the distillery tours - once they're just giving you the drinks that come with the ticket. Was the same from June until the Dublin L3

The Guinness Open Gate on the other hand is running as per rules, time limits and food but you buy the drink you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

How are people generally handling nights out now? Can't see how you get past the 2 hour time limit without booking two separate pubs/restaurants and ordering food.

I'm sure that's the intention but it's a bit disappointing for say a couple who want to go into the city centre for some food and a few drinks only to have to leave not long after they arrive! Better off sticking to the local.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

VonLuck wrote: »
    How are people generally handling nights out now? Can't see how you get past the 2 hour time limit without booking two separate pubs/restaurants and ordering food.

I'm sure that's the intention but it's a bit disappointing for say a couple who want to go into the city centre for some food and a few drinks only to have to leave not long after they arrive! Better off sticking to the local.

I'm sure some have their regular haunts, I know I do.

Advertisement