Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Tracing

Options
  • 09-12-2020 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I built this pc about 18 months ago for my son with recommendations from people here:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler - YD2600BBAFBOX
    £119.00
    • MSI GeForce GTX 1660 ARMOR 6G OC (6GB GDDR5/PCI Express 3.0/1845MHz/8000MHz)
    £209.99
    • MSI B450 GAMING PLUS Socket AM4 ATX Motherboard for AMD Ryzen Processors
    £79.97
    • Be Quiet! 500W System Power 9 PSU, 80+ Bronze, Dual 12V, Cont. Power
    £66.53
    • Sharkoon VG5-W Stylish Case for PC - Red
    £40.46
    • TCSUNBOW 240GB 250GB 256GB 2.5 Inch SSD With 256M Cache SATAIII 6GB/s Internal Solid State Hard Drive for Notebook Tablet Desktop PC(X3 240GB)
    £20.99
    • G.Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16D-16GISB Memoria 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)
    £60.26

He is now wanting to play minecraft with Rat Tracing, what would i need to upgrade to for this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You need an nVidia RTX series video card, that's the 20 and 30 series. Or an AMD 6000 series card. You can see the requirements here:

https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/articles/360052769812

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It'll need to be an nVidia card, AMD technically does it but the performance with all the bells and whistles on will be poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Honestly, its not worth it. Its an addon/nice to have for most games, Minecraft regular still exists. Buying a new GPU just for that seems like a poor use of funds to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

ED E wrote: »
    Honestly, its not worth it. Its an addon/nice to have for most games, Minecraft regular still exists. Buying a new GPU just for that seems like a poor use of funds to me.

Yes- I don't really see the purpose of making minecraft look better other than a good demo for rt - it was designed to have that lego look.

If its better graphics he is into - Maybe have him look into some more advanced world building games - there is very good jobs for those who are capable in Unity - and its not that difficult to get started - and you pc should be more than capable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wOeHPmu4Go&ab_channel=HowToDo

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

ozmo wrote: »
    Yes- I don't really see the purpose of making minecraft look better other than a good demo for rt - it was designed to have that lego look.

If its better graphics he is into - Maybe have him look into some more advanced world building games - there is very good jobs for those who are capable in Unity - and its not that difficult to get started - and you pc should be more than capable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wOeHPmu4Go&ab_channel=HowToDo

looks great thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement