Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland not part of the new EU initiative to advance semiconductor technology

Options
  • 09-12-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

With all the big tech companies in Ireland and even Intel with their manufacturing hub here. Why the hell are we not a part of this new European initiative with 17 other member states?

https://www.techspot.com/news/87907-several-eu-countries-join-forces-bolster-region-semiconductor.html

The United States and China are headed for a decoupling of manufacturing and technology research and development, even if the two countries may very well continue trade well into the future.

The distancing wouldn't be an absolute divorce, but the process has already started, with manufacturing companies slowly downsizing their operations in China and moving them to neighboring countries in Asia and other regions. The US government is planning to implement a so-called "Clean Network" plan that could lead to a "splinternet," and China is pouring enormous financial resources into domestic companies that could elevate it to a better level of technological self-sufficiency.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hi steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

You don't have to be a forensic scientist to have figured that out s_c. It would be nice if you edited your post and give Captcha an opportunity to edit his post too.

He does ask a very pertinent and surprising question. What are the reasons why Ireland is not involved in this initiative?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I'd imagine it's something to do with there being thousands of people directly employed by US semiconductor multinationals in well paying jobs. Then there's several thousands more employed in feeder industries into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Woah, thats a bit controversial there fella:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Kivaro wrote: »
    You don't have to be a forensic scientist to have figured that out s_c. It would be nice if you edited your post and give Captcha an opportunity to edit his post too.

He does ask a very pertinent and surprising question. What are the reasons why Ireland is not involved in this initiative?

Lol thankfully the PC name is not my name :D

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it's something to do with there being thousands of people directly employed by US semiconductor multinationals in well paying jobs. Then there's several thousand more employed in feeder industries into it.

What do you mean? Have you read the article?

I am asking why Ireland is not part of the new EU plan to invest in EU semiconductors, considering we have so many tech companies here but even aside from that these things are the future of the world... so why is Ireland, a supposedly wealthy and well-educated country not a part of the iniative?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I read the article. I'm all for there being more competition and innovation in the semiconductor industry.

We have massive US semiconductor multinationals like intel, analog devices etc with large bases here in Ireland. This EU plan is generally geared at creating direct competitors to them. Ireland isn't going to bite the hand that feeds it, not at this stage anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That on the face of it is logical, on the other hand if Europe is making a long term strategic decision to supply it's own needs in this field then we might as well get on board.

Either the Yanks think Ireland is a country that suits it's tax needs (that's the only reason they came here though obviously they now have a huge facility to get full value out of) or not! They'll stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The money comes from the Corona tied Recovery and Resilience Funds.
    Those funds are to help EU countries tackling the effects and consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic.
    Maybe EU don't think Ireland needs this help?

I fully endorse this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Ireland should invest heavily in semiconductor research as well as quantum technologies.

Ireland should invest heavily in semiconductor research as well as quantum technologies.

yes we need more than low tax if we are to weather future storms

Advertisement