Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Gigabox modem

• 09-12-2020 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi how many connections can you have on the standard router provided by Vodafone.
    I’ve quite a few WiFi plugs and smart devices connected in the house. If I need to upgrade to a new modem can you explain why and what’s the advantage...

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Main possible reasons would be range and speed I suppose. Modems have a processor which helps allocate resources to the network. Some are faster than others. Some modems may have a better range. Most recent modems are dual band, so 2.4 and 5 gh. 5 GHz goes faster, but a shorter range. Then you can have mesh networks. You could spend loads, and not notice any difference. Are you having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

I’ve devices disconnecting. No baby monitor or cordless phones. I’ve the WiFi split for guest and 5ghz so as to try and handle the amount of devices. All devices are in good range for the guest and 2.4ghz WiFi ranges. I’m just thinking its too many devices connected at once. Think I’ve around 22 devices... mostly smart plugs, smart controllers and Amazon echoes. Nothing pulling 2 much data but never the less it’s still a connected device

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I would split the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands into 2 networks, and put all of the smart devices onto the 2.4 ghz network. Phones and computers set to join the 5 ghz only.

Advertisement