Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 day cooling off period - apply to renewable contracts?

Options
  • 10-12-2020 1:01am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an annual renewable contract with Adobe for photoshop etc and I just missed the automatic renewal date. I had been intending to cancel.

Does anyone know if the 14 day cooling off period applies to contracts such as this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

no, it doesn't.
    Generally, you will have accepted the terms of the automatic renewal when first purchasing so the contract was made then the automatic renewal is a continuation of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They entice you with "no obligation" trial and then you forget.

The trick is to cancel a couple of months beforehand - you can use it to the end of the contract.

I'd try to cancel anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Darc19 wrote: »
    They entice you with "no obligation" trial and then you forget.

The trick is to cancel a couple of months beforehand - you can use it to the end of the contract.

I'd try to cancel anyway.

Adobe isn’t a trick with a trial. It’s professional software that is on a subscription basis. It’s all very clear when you sign up.

You can do an annual subscription or monthly for a slight higher cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The 14 day rule does apply with health insurance renewal in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I've had a couple of instances of auto renews where I simply just emailed saying I forgot to cancel and they gave me a full refund. Both times were within a day or two. The mindfulness app and some pdf editor. Worth a shot.

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    Adobe isn’t a trick with a trial. It’s professional software that is on a subscription basis. It’s all very clear when you sign up.

You can do an annual subscription or monthly for a slight higher cost.

Can you please read my post again. Never said it was a trick. I said the trick is to cancel well in advance.

And they are not very clear when signing up.

They use the phrase "cancel anytime" very prominently.

Then in very small font it says that they mean during the one month trial period and once that is over you are fixed in for a year and you cannot cancel.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Can you please read my post again. Never said it was a trick. I said the trick is to cancel well in advance.

And they are not very clear when signing up.

They use the phrase "cancel anytime" very prominently.

Then in very small font it says that they mean during the one month trial period and once that is over you are fixed in for a year and you cannot cancel.

Fair enough I mis quoted you about it being a trick .. however the Adobe subscription is a piece of professional software that is very clear on what the cost is and what you are signing up to .. it’s discounted if you pay for a year up front rather than monthly

Fair enough I mis quoted you about it being a trick .. however the Adobe subscription is a piece of professional software that is very clear on what the cost is and what you are signing up to .. it’s discounted if you pay for a year up front rather than monthly

I know exactly what it is and our digital marketing manager uses it.

But it the way that they word their "cancel anytime" statement that is sneaky. When in reality it is "cancel anytime within the first month only."

So, yes, great software (be sure to have plenty of space on your pc as the files are huge), but could be a lot clearer on their sales message.

With Adobe you can cancel anytime .. if you pay monthly ... if you pay an annual subscription you can Le it before it renews .. no big mystery or smoke and mirrors.

With business software people tend to prefer auto renew models as you don’t want the license to expire when you least expect it.

Also with Adobe you get 90 day, 60 day and 30 notifications of you annual subscription renewal

With Adobe you can cancel anytime .. if you pay monthly ... if you pay an annual subscription you can Le it before it renews .. no big mystery or smoke and mirrors.

With business software people tend to prefer auto renew models as you don’t want the license to expire when you least expect it.

Also with Adobe you get 90 day, 60 day and 30 notifications of you annual subscription renewal
    Either they changed policy since June or you are mistaken.

Certainly in the first year, if you do not cancel within the first "free" month, you are locked into an annual monthly contract despite their "cancel anytime" statement.

Possibly after a year you can cancel with a month's notice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement