Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HW heating up when CH on

Options
  • 10-12-2020 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi Guys,

this might be obvious but i need confirmation from experience before getting someone to fix.

I have an eph controls v228p 2 port motorised valve zoning my HW and CH. Lately we have been struggling to heat the HW cylinder. This is since we had boiler moved, system drained etc, (did have a few days of trapped air issues after in rads) sometimes 38 degrees was highest, boiler is a grant euroflame 70/90 and works fine, so knew it wasnt that. rads were all hopping

I was advised by plumber to open balancing valve on boiler return on cylinder a bit, i also moved valve lever a few times to confirm it was working and actuating and re-paired it to the evohome system we have installed. The hot water then immediately was back to it normal self, 60 degrees very quickly.

Then tonight i noticed that when 1 radiator being on the hot water was back at 60 degrees from cold.

Is the valve failing? am i better off getting it replaced. or is there another remedy maybe i could perform as a non-plumber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭John.G

Before you carry out the below, just watch the cylinder zone valve and get somebody to operate the rad(s) zone valve via the programmer or roomstat or whatever and ensure that the cylinder zone valve isn't operating.

There is a manual lever on the side, with the valve powered off if you pull this lever very slowly from its Auto? position you should feel a fair bit of resistance, when you let it go it should return to its un powered shut condition, if there is little or no resistance then its more than likely that the actuator is kaput, its also possible but unlikely that the valve itself is sticking. Not familiar with this brand but just check if the actuator can be removed from the valve, if so, remove it and you should find that the valve spindly moves easily 90 deg open/shut then just replace the actuator.

Advertisement