Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumped and scraped

Options
  • 10-12-2020 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I’m new in Limerick and arrived on my K1300GT, 2011, Beige. A storm on the way from Europe blew me and the bike over in a service station. I wasn’t even moving, was on a slope and in very slow motion - over we went. Don’t ask! Lots of kind people rushed to pick me and bike up (I’m 57). The left hand side pannier took the biggest hit, scraped and pitted. Left hand side fairing scratched a little but obvious. BMW want crazy money to replace. Can anyone suggest a car body workshop that can do such stuff. I have the BMW paint code but I’m no artist! Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Breezin

57? I'd rush to help a young lad in distress too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

StephenHa wrote: »
    Hi, I’m new in Limerick and arrived on my K1300GT, 2011, Beige. A storm on the way from Europe blew me and the bike over in a service station. I wasn’t even moving, was on a slope and in very slow motion - over we went. Don’t ask! Lots of kind people rushed to pick me and bike up (I’m 57). The left hand side pannier took the biggest hit, scraped and pitted. Left hand side fairing scratched a little but obvious. BMW want crazy money to replace. Can anyone suggest a car body workshop that can do such stuff. I have the BMW paint code but I’m no artist! Many thanks.

Sorry to hear that.

Pics would help us know what sort of damage there is, I'm probably no use to you but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Also, take the panniers off if they're not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

zubair wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.

Pics would help us know what sort of damage there is, I'm probably no use to you but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Also, take the panniers off if they're not in use.

We were out on Sunday and a lad went over whilst parking on his R1200RT as well, scuffed the pannier.

The pannier saved the rest of the bike getting scratched, and a pannier or lid is far easier to repair/replace.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

galwaytt wrote: »
    We were out on Sunday and a lad went over whilst parking on his R1200RT as well, scuffed the pannier.

The pannier saved the rest of the bike getting scratched, and a pannier or lid is far easier to repair/replace.......

Or they could get bars/ sliders, cheaper again lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Sorry to hear you damaged your K1300GT - nice bike.
    In November 2020 I bought a 2012 K1300S (9,000 miles) second-hand from the UK and have just finished getting the VRT and Motor Tax.

My odd suggestion is contact Chips Away, Unit 3 Phoenix Industrial Estate, Navan Road Castleknock Co. Dublin Dublin 15.
    They do cars, but might fix your bike.
    I had a little damage on my car and they did an excellent job. It made the rest of the car look old. :pac:

I see you are in Limerick. If you don't want to travel to Dublin they might recommend someone in/near Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Me again. :o
    Perhaps you could take off the damaged panel and send it and the pannier to a repair shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Me again. :o
    Perhaps you could take off the damaged panel and send it and the pannier to a repair shop.

That sounds like a good option maybe send them to these guys ?

http://www.motorcyclepaintshop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Ger Conlon is ace at matching paint colours and does great work, based in Cork, Kinsale direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Ig car solutions in little island in Cork would do stuff like this. I sed them to repair a fairing that was fairly smashed and had a great result..
    pm if you want contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Sorry to hear about the fall! Joe Crash on the Ballysimon Road in Limerick is worth a visit. He has done cars for me but has also done individual parts too so I'm sure your panniers wouldnt be a problem. Not the cheapest about for sure but top work. Worth getting a quote anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

OP, just two of the many places in Limerick that can repair your Bike.
    Slater Crash Repairs in Thomondgate (cheaper than many but still very popular).
    ACR in Castlemungret. Will be more expensive but you will get what you pay for.
    Both can be googled for contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Goose81

Any body shop will be able to do it for you and match the paint, however what they most likely won't do is remove the damaged parts. You will have to bring the parts into them off the bike, I've done it multiple times with spray shops no issue m

• Registered Users Posts: 10 StephenHa

Thank you everyone for all your help. I believe I'll be able to avoid the pain of BMW replacement parts!

I've been trying to upload a couple of images of the pannier and fairing. In case someone sees and can do a brilliant job, but so far no joy. I'll keep searching the 'how too's' etc....

Everyone ride safe, stay safe and have a great Christmas.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You will have to reach a certain 'post count' before you can upload an image on boards.......it used to be 50 posts. Not sure what it is these days.

Advertisement