Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x09 - 'Terra Firma: Part 1' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What the **** did I just watch? Seriously, what was that episode? What's going on with this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

A few hours in the agony booth will change your perspective!

Leave her in there

A few hours in the agony booth will change your perspective!

So basically watching that episode on repeat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

Not bad this week, but more of a strangely boring episode, and possibly the most bored I've been watching a Mirror episode...which are usually my favorite in any Trek show.

They dialled down the Michael again in favour of Georgiou, which did help the episode. But when her Mirror version turned up I had actually started to wonder if I was mistaken for giving Martin-Green any benefit of the doubt regarding her acting abilities. She played that character like some kind of pantomime villain. If this was some kind of parody I could buy into it, but I think she was actually trying their best to play a Mirror Michael, and it was not good. It doesn't look like she has much of a range. I'm starting to think that Martin-Green deserves at least some of the blame for making Michael such an unlikable character. Alas, this would also mean that improvement of the character isn't possible without re-casting or serious acting-lessons, which I feel is unlikely.

One big plus I actually liked was Discovery finally showing an artefact of the TNG-era, with a TNG Season-1 style Gold-Uniform. It was a small thing, but I liked it. Also, really liking that Admiral. I hope to God they don't swing around and reveal him as some kind of villain, that would annoy me no-end.

This was very clearly a Bottle episode, one of at least 2 I've noticed so far. Makes me wonder if they're are having cash issues, especially when the seasons are so short. We spent a lot of time on ISS Discovery, which seems like an odd choice to transport the Terran Emperor. I feel it would have been more likely she'd travel on Ex-USS Defiant, or maybe even the ISS Enterprise, or some other important Heavy Cruiser.

Bits of the episode were set up well, but the achilles heel of it all for me is that I couldn't really care less about Emperor Georgiou or what happens to her. I get the feeling that the writers had hoped that the viewer had started to love her by now, and would care...but I just don't. Leave her to die in the Mirror Universe for all I care. She eats Kelpians for fun FFS. Would have been a lot more interesting if that Guardian popped up now and again to explain the stakes in the time-line for her actions. Otherwise it's just generic Mirror Universe back-stabbing, which isn't even fun anymore in this show's version.

If they have personal transporters why didn’t Mikey S and Georgeo just beam to the door instead of walking through Canada ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So basically watching that episode on repeat :pac:

Well played.

Have him executed by beaming into space.

All Eyes On Rafah

If they have personal transporters why didn’t Mikey S and Georgeo just beam to the door instead of walking through Canada ?

It's Canada, that wouldn't be polite.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

It's Canada, that wouldn't be polite.

Sorry.

This is a genuine review from Nerdrotic of this episode, no woke bashing stuff for first half hour or so. Watch it or don’t it’s up to you, I only watch his discovery stuff because it not the cynical crap you normally get from other std reviews.

I will say that I don’t go in entirely for this woke sjw conspiracy stuff so you all need not jump on your high horses.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-MZVVsHek

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't like the Mirror Universe. What began as a tacky, awful episode of TOS has spawned this ridiculous monster. TNG and VOY never used it and you don't miss it. Yesterday's Enterprise and Living Witness explored the same theme without being ridiculous or crapping all over canon.

DS9 overused it, and despite it being a bit of craic with Lorca in season 1, I've always felt it was one of Discovery's weak points; the fact that so much of Discovery'a plotlines are dependent on the mirror universe.

The door man is about the most interesting part of this episode as well as the little nod to the Kelvin universe. As someone else mentioned, I would much rather they had moved on with the main plotline instead of this thing. I'm kind of hoping that the next episode will conclude with Georgiou realising that her time in the Prime universe has changed her and she has no interest in doing the evil emperor facade any more. The guardian will tell her that he can't fix the cellular issue, but he can return her to the 23rd century Prime universe, where she can survive and she can take her spot in S31. Then Georgiou and the Mirror universe are gone, and all is good with the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭feelings

Sonics2k wrote: »
    What the **** did I just watch? Seriously, what was that episode? What's going on with this stuff?

^^ this x 100. WTF did I just watch? Awful sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Rawr wrote: »
    But when her Mirror version turned up I had actually started to wonder if I was mistaken for giving Martin-Green any benefit of the doubt regarding her acting abilities. She played that character like some kind of pantomime villain.

Kira Nerys Mirror was also that pantomime character, but not as bad I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

GreeBo wrote: »

Mirror Kira was ridiculous but somehow they she did a good job playing the role as a sadistic & cruel sex-fiend. This was a interesting juxposition of Kira, who hated Dukat for the very same crimes that her Mirror version carried out in glee.

It was cheesy as all hell, and got pretty tiresome by the time we got to the second and third mirror episode in DS9, but Nana Visitor had the range to make it fun for what it was. Martin-Green however is no fun at all. In this she was just regular Michael except eeeeeeeeevil (Mu ha ha ha!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

seamus wrote: »
    I'm kind of hoping that the next episode will conclude with Georgiou realising that her time in the Prime universe has changed her and she has no interest in doing the evil emperor facade any more. The guardian will tell her that he can't fix the cellular issue, but he can return her to the 23rd century Prime universe, where she can survive and she can take her spot in S31. Then Georgiou and the Mirror universe are gone, and all is good with the world.

And Michael will finally realise that she doesn't have a place on the crew of the Discovery, join Georgiou in the doomed S31 spin off and Star Trek fans can live happily ever after? I mean, it *is* Christmas but I don't think even Santa's that powerful... :pac:

Rawr wrote: »
    Mirror Kira was ridiculous but somehow they she did a good job playing the role as a sadistic & cruel sex-fiend. This was a interesting juxposition of Kira, who hated Dukat for the very same crimes that her Mirror version carried out in glee.

It was cheesy as all hell, and got pretty tiresome by the time we got to the second and third mirror episode in DS9, but Nana Visitor had the range to make it fun for what it was. Martin-Green however is no fun at all. In this she was just regular Michael except eeeeeeeeevil (Mu ha ha ha!!!)

I enjoyed Mirror O'brien, or Smiley as he preferred to be called. He was well written.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 26,077 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Kira was fun at first and it was only her acting panto at the time. Since than people have run with it and the whole MU has turned into the bisexual BDSM sex hungry universe cause apparently thats all evil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Watched 15mins and went to bed.
    It was so bad it turned me off even switching the channel. It made me give up on tv for the evening.

The Expanse will be back very soon. Disco can take a back seat for the next while.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Kira was fun at first and it was only her acting panto at the time. Since than people have run with it and the whole MU has turned into the bisexual BDSM sex hungry universe cause apparently thats all evil

Nana visitor as an actor has range this crowd are all commercial actors, ie toothpaste commercials

The Expanse will be back very soon. Disco can take a back seat for the next while.

Started shooting season 3 of The Orville this December also.
    Was thinking about it, I think every major character has had at least 1 episode dedicated to them on The Orville, so you kinda feel like you know them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Started shooting season 3 of The Orville this December also.
    Was thinking about it, I think every major character has had at least 1 episode dedicated to them on The Orville, so you kinda feel like you know them.

It's worth keeping in mind that most of the bridge crew are not "major characters" on Discovery.

In TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise, (and Orville), all the bridge crew were name-checked in the opening credits and were unquestionably co-stars. In Discovery, for better or worse, that's not the case.

The major characters on the show over the three seasons have been:

- Michael Burnham
    - Saru
    - Ash Tyler / Voq
    - Paul Stamets
    - Sylvia Tilly
    - Gabriel Lorca
    - Hugh Culber
    - Christopher Pike
    - Book

The others are just recurring and/or guest roles. Unusual for a Trek show not to be focused on the bridge crew, but there you have it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek:_Discovery_characters

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Side note, but anyone watching on netflix now have Discovery in their "Continue Watching" at season 1 episode 1 after watching this episode?

^ Fair point.
    i guess its just so against every other ST series it stands out (and I'm not sure if it works tbh, I dont see how the bridge crew of a star ship based series could be anything other than main cast...)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,695 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Side note, but anyone watching on netflix now have Discovery in their "Continue Watching" at season 1 episode 1 after watching this episode?

Sure it’s not in your ‘Watch it again’ section from the start? Once you’re up to date, as far as the UI is concerned the show is over until a new episode pops up on Friday, and it switches back into ‘Continue Watching’. Unless you’d actually selected it in the meantime, in which case I presume it’ll have gone into Continue Watching from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah it always does that til there is a new ep then it switches itself back to the latest ep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

^ Fair point.
    i guess its just so against every other ST series it stands out (and I'm not sure if it works tbh, I dont see how the bridge crew of a star ship based series could be anything other than main cast...)

yeah, I don't think it's worked out too well at all. When you take that main cast list into account, it's easy to see why the show feels so disjointed a lot of the time.

Top-billed characters / actors are whatever rank or position Burnham has this week, then the commander (eventually captain), a scientist or whatever Stamets is supposed to be, his boyfriend - not the CMO or ships councillor but acts like both anyway, a ditsy ensign who for no good reason is also suddenly first officer... then just a smattering of even more random people.

All. Over. The. Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭AllForIt

De Bhál wrote: »
    Watched 15mins and went to bed.
    It was so bad it turned me off even switching the channel. It made me give up on tv for the evening.

Yeah this exactly happened to me. About 15-20 mins in and it just dawned on my I have no interest is this I may as well turn it off. Don't know why I'm tuning in the day it's released as if I'm dying to see the next episode. I suppose it's just a reflex and some hope that it might actually be good but I think it's pretty clear now that it will never be good or even close. I hope all those minorities, be it red heads, tall ppl, Africans, chubby ppl, sassy ppl, will be happy to be represented on a TV show if only a crap one.

I didn't think the first 2 seasons were great but at the same time they weren't as bad as S3, they were at least watchable. Clearly what is foremost in the minds of the producers is not classic Star Trek but some other concern I have no interest in. I would be very surprised if it's renewed for a fourth season.

On Netflix after you've watch the latest episode of something it reverts back to the very first episode automatically.

Goodshape wrote: »
    yeah, I don't think it's worked out too well at all. When you take that main cast list into account, it's easy to see why the show feels so disjointed a lot of the time.

Top-billed characters / actors are whatever rank or position Burnham has this week, then the commander (eventually captain), a scientist or whatever Stamets is supposed to be, his boyfriend - not the CMO or ships councillor but acts like both anyway, a ditsy ensign who for no good reason is also suddenly first officer... then just a smattering of even more random people.

All. Over. The. Shop.

Tilly has been promoted to the rank of PA to Saru not first officer when compared to other ST commanders

• Advertisement

Actually, watching Star Trek 2009. Kirk was promoted to No.1 in less time than Tilly... and Captain soon after .

Advertisement