Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB stick

Options
  • 10-12-2020 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I was wondering did anyone have a problem with a usb stick bought off Amazon. I bought a integral 512GB USB Memory 3.0 Flash Drive and then when i put it in, it says 461GB instead of it been 512GB which it states.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

leemaree wrote: »
    I was wondering did anyone have a problem with a usb stick bought off Amazon. I bought a integral 512GB USB Memory 3.0 Flash Drive and then when i put it in, it says 461GB instead of it been 512GB which it states.

That's normal for all is sticks, 461gb is the usable amount after it's been formatted. You'll never see 512gb on any usb.

Does it have a 2nd partition on it for anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

DopeTech wrote: »
    That's normal for all is sticks, 461gb is the usable amount after it's been formatted. You'll never see 512gb on any usb.

I got one before from them and it had the exact amount

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

True, but 460 is more like a 500GB drive than a 512GB drive. Chances are it also has a recovery partition/bundled software or similar.

OP, please please dont be the person that puts a large amount of valuable data on something like this. A copy on portable media is no copy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That's normal for all is sticks, 461gb is the usable amount after it's been formatted
    Formatting is unlikely to account for more than a gigabyte of used space or so, more likely much less.

The bulk of the disrepancy is down to different units:
    • USB sticks are typically marketed in GB, which is a decimal-based unit, calculated as powers of ten. 1GB = 1 billion bytes, or 10^9 bytes
    • The operating system uses GiB, which is a binary-based unit, calculated in powers of 2. 1GiB = 1,073,741,824 bytes, or 2^30 bytes
    Traditionally, GB was used for both units, leading to much confusion, so GiB is now preferred for the binary unit.

So for every GB you're "sold", your computer will report approximately 0.931GiB. For a 512GB drive, that comes to 476.837GiB. After a fresh format, metadata will take up another couple of hundred megabytes (depending on disk format and settings)

If you're only getting 461GB, it's likely as ED E says, recovery partition or bundled software. You could reformat the drive completely to get rid of it if you're sure you don't want it.

If you previously had a stick that showed as 512GiB in your operating system, it's possible they sell a 549GB stick deliberately to avoid the unit confusion. It's not common though, do you have a link or model number?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You do not have problem, this is how it works in "computer world" vs human
    Bit of reading for you.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Formatting is unlikely to account for more than a gigabyte of used space or so, more likely much less.

The bulk of the disrepancy is down to different units:
    • USB sticks are typically marketed in GB, which is a decimal-based unit, calculated as powers of ten. 1GB = 1 billion bytes, or 10^9 bytes
    • The operating system uses GiB, which is a binary-based unit, calculated in powers of 2. 1GiB = 1,073,741,824 bytes, or 2^30 bytes
    Traditionally, GB was used for both units, leading to much confusion, so GiB is now preferred for the binary unit.

So for every GB you're "sold", your computer will report approximately 0.931GiB. For a 512GB drive, that comes to 476.837GiB. After a fresh format, metadata will take up another couple of hundred megabytes (depending on disk format and settings)

If you're only getting 461GB, it's likely as ED E says, recovery partition or bundled software. You could reformat the drive completely to get rid of it if you're sure you don't want it.

If you previously had a stick that showed as 512GiB in your operating system, it's possible they sell a 549GB stick deliberately to avoid the unit confusion. It's not common though, do you have a link or model number?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HZ9ZX4B?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_title

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

read the disclaimer on it..

Disclaimer:
    1GB=1,000,000,000 bytes. When formatted, actual user storage capacity is less. This is an industry applicable standard across all memory storage products.
    Speeds based on internal testing; performance may vary depending on host device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

And can you post image showing its capacity as 512GB read in Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I would be extremely surprised to see that showing up as 512GB. Which operating system? I believe Apple made a change to MacOS to show GB instead of GiB around 2009, so it would show up as 512GB if you were using that, but then so would the new stick

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

shanec1928 wrote: »
    read the disclaimer on it..

Disclaimer:
    1GB=1,000,000,000 bytes. When formatted, actual user storage capacity is less. This is an industry applicable standard across all memory storage products.
    Speeds based on internal testing; performance may vary depending on host device.

Never read that. F**K

• Advertisement
Advertisement