Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Gaming

Options
  • 10-12-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I have been thinking of doing a full rebuild. My gaming PC has kept me going for a good few years now and I am considering retiring it fully and doing a full new build. Maybe not the best time to do it. Can hold off a few months if its worthwhile

1. What is your budget? Lets say... 3K as a limit (should be plenty of scope)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming - Would like it to last a few years before replacing / rebuilding

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I'm leaning towards not bothering. The case would probably be good (full tower), plus possibly the PSU but lets assume a full new rebuild for now

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes] May as well look into 4K

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Probably needs to be 30+ for 4K

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Good for peripherals

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes potentially]

8. How can you pay? [Any]

9. When are you purchasing? Flexible

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Good to build myself

Will post my current build shortly in case its relevant

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

With a 3K budget you can go all out, but I wouldn't. I'd spend some now and save the rest for upgrades.

Is there anything in particular you want from the PC like VR support or raytracing? If so go with a 3080 otherwise a 6800XT is the way to go IMHO. Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X probably - no point in going any higher for gaming and even then it's only a marginal improvement on the 5600X. 32GB RAM is also overkill but RAM is cheap.

There's not much point in doing a PC Partpicker build at the moment - nothing is in stock or at MSRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Yeah I started to do some digging around after I posted and parts are woefully hard to find or crazy overprices

Happy to wait a few months. Will plan a build now anyhow and see how things pan out over the next few months. Will post what I'm thinking

Would like to include raytracing if possible. Not too pushed on VR support at the moment

So thinking of buying what I can for this for now and picking up what I cant get later. My current machine is a mix of parts from 2008 and 2013 so figure its about time to do a full overhaul

Thinking of the following:

Case: Fractal Define 7 Mid Tower

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 360

RAM: 2 X VIPER STEEL 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-35200C19 4400MHZ

PSU: Corsair RM SERIES RM750 750W '80 PLUS GOLD'

Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-E 4.0 X4 NVME

GPU: RX 6800XT (Whenever I can get my hands on one)

Any thoughts?

I could probably live without the NVME (have a 500GB and 1TB SSD in my current machine).

My old 750W corsair PSU has worked away since 2008 so I could hang on to it. Its not modular though so maybe worth the upgrade (will possibly repurpose my current machine at some stage)

By the way... on the RAM. I was struggling to find a 32GB kit at 4400 hence the two kits of 16gb. Might be a bit risky so could maybe look at 32GB of 3600 instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Squall wrote: »
    My old 750W corsair PSU has worked away since 2008 so I could hang on to it. Its not modular though so maybe worth the upgrade (will possibly repurpose my current machine at some stage)

I would definitely spend the extra 100 quid for a new PSU to power these 2000 euro worth of hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

RAM is extremely unlikely to be able to run at 4400 - not in a 1:1:1 config anyway. FCLK might go as far as 2000MHz (meaning 4000 Data Rate would be viable) but that is chip and mobo dependent.

Samsung tax isn't really worth it - IIRC the 980 is QLC NAND.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Do you have an actual need for the 5800X over the 5600X and 32gb ram Vs 16gb ram or is it more of a case of want rather than need (not that there's anything wrong with that :) )? Also, ram over 3600mhz cl16 is completely unnecessary, very little performance gain

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Do you have an actual need for the 5800X over the 5600X and 32gb ram Vs 16gb ram or is it more of a case of want rather than need (not that there's anything wrong with that :) )? Also, ram over 3600mhz cl16 is completely unnecessary, very little performance gain

Honestly want rather than need :). I generally try and get as long as I can out of a build and I'm lucky to have some extra funds at the moment so figure why not

I did a bit more research on RAM and ended up at the same conclusion. Actually ordered a few bits today and ordered 32GB (4 x 8) at 3600 instead.

Picked up a new PSU and decided I can do without the NVME for now. Have decent SSDs at the moment so no point as I would gain nothing really

I'm a bit a shamed to pair this stuff with my old HD 7950... might have to hold off on my build for a few months till I can get hold of a 6800XT :|

Advertisement