Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open backed headphones + amp

Options
  • 10-12-2020 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I am not a major afficionado of headphones but I am tempted to try out open backed headphones and maybe a headphone amp to up my game in terms of listening to stuff at home. I have broad taste in music which includes Rock/electro/Jazz/Classical.

I very much like the quality I get with my Sony WH-CH700N which have a subtle noise cancellation (compared to the higher spec 1000XM3/XM4 cans).
    They are definitely a very decent headphone.

What sort of sound quality gains might I get by investing say in something like the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro wired/open back headphones along with a headphone amp ?

Also, can anyone recommend a good pairing of a headphone amp for the above headphones (or suggest alternative wired (open or closed back) headphones that I might like for bringing out even more in terms of sound staging and dynamics).

This is for leisurely listening rather than as studio monitors or recording,etc .. and just to add - noise cancellation not a consideration as these would be for purely at home listening and not caring about sound leakage, etc.

-ifc

Comments

The DT990's are one of the sets i own and i love them. They have a bit of a bright sound so may not be for everyone.
    As for amp pairing, they need a bit of juice to power properly in my experience. I use a Topping E30/L30 stack but you can run them with something more affordable like a Fiio K5 Pro.

Advertisement