Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like a great movie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Looks like a cracker for sure!

Have it sat on the computer for the last while, might give it a watch tonight.

Anyone here put there arm up to be an extra in it when they were looking that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Loads of local Club Racers in there.

All the skinny young fellas anyway :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This is being reviewed on arena on RTE R1 soon. I don't expect it'll get a positive review.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

its ok, don't be expecting any greatness etc its a film you could watch without worrying about the front door bell or your phone ringing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This is being reviewed on arena on RTE R1 soon. I don't expect it'll get a positive review.
    Pretty mediocre reviews. The reviewers weren't into cycling but then why should they be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, 3/5 from both. i still don't really know much about the movie, bar that it's about a domestique and the hotel rooms are bleak.

I won't lie I watched the first 20 minutes then skimmed it. They didn't even get the bikes right for the period ffs, what they were training on in the park was so far off what Pantani rode that year, by about 15 years at least. Even if you didn't spot that and are not a cyclist it's poo and game of thrones guy who's name I can't recall is poo as usual.

can you imagine the budget to allocate 100 period correct pro level bikes, though? that's hardly a fair basis on which to criticise the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

My (57kg, former A2) son was a riding extra in this movie. It was shot around Dublin city (Merrion Square) and Wicklow (Wicklow gap I think). They had only a limited number of 'period' bikes for the front riders and the rest were told to bring something oldish along. He brought his old Giant TCR carbon bike.

They did provide rider clothing to most riding extras but the general impression was that it was a modest budget movie cofunded by Belgian TV and RTE, plus a few others. I would guess the bulk of the budget is paying for the lead cast members.

Joke with my son is that he can now claim he made Pro and made the tour! He got about €100 per day plus he got fed. He got about 5 days work out of it. He's a former hill climb champion so thought it was great gas to get paid to go up and down Wicklow gaps for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I persuaded the missus to watch this last night on Amazon Prime. Told her "it's set in Ireland", "Iain Glen is in it"! About an hour in realised we were watching the wrong film! Who'd have thought there'd be two recent films called the "The Racer" about cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭YoTaro

Is it only in cinemas at the moment or how can you watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

I persuaded the missus to watch this last night on Amazon Prime. Told her "it's set in Ireland", "Iain Glen is in it"! About an hour in realised we were watching the wrong film! Who'd have thought there'd be two recent films called the "The Racer" about cycling!

I watched this one... Pretty grim take on the toxic environment that young pro's have to navigate.... Was good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

happytramp wrote: »
    I watched this one... Pretty grim take on the toxic environment that young pro's have to navigate.... Was good though.

Yes, it was good (even the missus enjoyed it - well at least found it interesting!).

I assume the many scenes of aggression and violence were a direct result of testosterone and amphetamine doping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

it's only out in cinemas at the moment. The one on Amazon is subtitled and Belgian I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Just went to see this in the lighthouse- really enjoyable & great to see on the big screen for those who have suffered in Wicklow & indeed the Phoenix park.

mvt wrote: »
    Just went to see this in the lighthouse...
    God that's a blast from the past. I didn't realise it was still going. It was in Abbey Street the last time I was there - probably 30 years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

it's only out in cinemas at the moment. The one on Amazon is subtitled and Belgian I think.

And about 2-3 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

odyssey06 wrote: »

Good line from the director in that article to the effect that they put fresh tarmac down for the tour but won't do it for the folk that live here.

Particularly relevant when you see WCC,s approach to road maintenance.

• Advertisement

mvt wrote: »
    Good line from the director in that article to the effect that they put fresh tarmac down for the tour but won't do it for the folk that live here.
    plus ca change; sure wasn't it in the same week last year or the year before, that it was announced there wasn't money to fun the large library up beside the hugh lane gallery, the government announced they'd give €50m to the ryder cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Have it sat on the computer for the last while, might give it a watch tonight.

Anyone here put there arm up to be an extra in it when they were looking that time?

I was an extra in it, was between work at the time so could do every day. Lots (and lots and lots) of standing around in very cold conditions. The cast & crew were extremely nice (bar the odd one who may have been having a bad day here or there). The bikes were not great.

It was disappointing there wasn't more from the script for the cycling team, we learned nothing about Drago (Timo Wagner, the main antagonist), the story around Tartare (Matteo Simoni) wasn't explored/explained, and the doping in general wasn't detailed enough. I thought the story ended up being a bit weak, and unfortunately stereotypical at times (diddly-eye music in an Irish pub).

Another disappointing aspect was the cycling extras were only paid whatever any "extra" standing at the side of the road waving a flag was paid - so from a workload and risk view, we were grossly underpaid.

Kieron Walsh made us all look cool, so hats off to him. Nobody was sure how it would turn out visually, it easily could've become very much like "Tour de Pharmacy" - which if you have not seen that movie, you should.

It was a really fun experience.

#22 Oosting
    TheRacer-3-1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Watched this today. Tbh I thought it was utter tripe and had it not been set in Ireland (the outdoor scenes at least) I wouldn't have lasted the pace. The low point for me was when someone was using the phone and there was a poster on the wall behind it saying 'welcome to the Tour Da France'

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

As a last ditch attempt to save the sport they decided to put in a lot of structures to stamp out the drugs. Paul McQuaid invented the ‘blood passport’ for all the riders.

??????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Are there any decent cycling films (not documentaries)?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

dinneenp wrote: »

Tour de Pharmacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNUwVcp5iUY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

American Flyers(1985)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well there's the belgian/dutch movie mentioned earlier with the same title.

The program is fairly crap.

American Flyers, Breaking Away, BMX Bandits, Premium Rush all come to mind.

The flying scotsman about graham obree is another. It doesn't quite reveal is genius, but also doesn't go too deep into his mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The Triplets of Belleville / Les Triplettes de Belleville

• Advertisement

Saw it in the Lighthouse this afternoon. I went in not expecting too much but really enjoyed it. Talpe is excellent as the hardman veteran domestique. He really looks the part. If you are going to see the actual racing scenes, they don't amount to more than a few minutes overall. Lots of scenes filmed in cramped hotel rooms which gives a claustrophobic atmosphere and certainly doesn't portray pro-cycling in any glamorous way.

On stage 2 from Dublin to Enniscorthy, the TV commentator informs us that the riders are "on the arduous climb of the Wicklow Gap" while they climb Glenmacnass. :)

I suppose with a low budget, anachronisms are inevitable but Jesus they're everywhere. The lads over in IMDb will have a field day.

... The low point for me was when someone was using the phone and there was a poster on the wall behind it saying 'welcome to the Tour Da France'
    Did you miss the howler underneath it on the same poster - "We hope you enjoy you stay". BTW - that 'someone' you refer to was the leading actor!

On a totally seperate note - €11 for a matinee?? When I was a regular cinema goer, it was always half price during the day.

Advertisement