Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating Mileage Based on Civil Servant Bands

Options
  • 10-12-2020 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I am Looking to find out how to calculate mileage for work using civil servant mileage bands..

I have searched this board but cannot find the answer to my question.

My question is if I did 15000km in the year, is the first 1500km @ Band 1 rate, the next 4000Km at band 2 rate and remaining 9500km @ band 3 rate
    or
    should the entire 15000km all be at band 3 rates?

any help would be appreciated
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

First scenario (work through the bands).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Buttons04 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am Looking to find out how to calculate mileage for work using civil servant mileage bands..

I have searched this board but cannot find the answer to my question.

My question is if I did 15000km in the year, is the first 1500km @ Band 1 rate, the next 4000Km at band 2 rate and remaining 9500km @ band 3 rate
    or
    should the entire 15000km all be at band 3 rates?

any help would be appreciated
    Regards

Your payroll should be calculating this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Your payroll should be calculating this for you.

Not in our organisation, we submit a monthly claim, it needs to be calculated and signed off with all the relevant subsistence etc.The section is seperate to payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭SVI40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

The Mulk wrote: »
    Not in our organisation, we submit a monthly claim, it needs to be calculated and signed off with all the relevant subsistence etc.The section is seperate to payroll.

Sounds like an area ripe for abuse by employees if they are carrying out the calculations themselves. The employer should have control over that in order to avoid issues with Revenue considering they are paying out tax free payments.

You'll note in the link below, it's contained in the employer section of the website.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/travel-and-subsistence/civil-service-rates.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Sounds like an area ripe for abuse by employees if they are carrying out the calculations themselves. The employer should have control over that in order to avoid issues with Revenue considering they are paying out tax free payments.

You'll note in the link below, it's contained in the employer section of the website.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/travel-and-subsistence/civil-service-rates.aspx

Not really, they are ultimately checked and signed off by T&S section.
    You have to have your own calculations correct though, they will deduct and adjust rates down. I don't remember ever being increased though.
    It's usually around subsistence though, mileage is generally straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buttons04

Thank You all for the responses..

I know the revenue page on it, just wasn't sure if it was work through the rates or not.

Advertisement