Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonably priced gravel steel frame?

Options
  • 10-12-2020 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭

Does such a thing exist at the moment? I'm talking sub 1000€, closer to 500

I recently picked up a Ridley Kanzo alu gravel but it's over 11kg when you add pedals, bottle cages, garmin mount etc (105 groupset, heavy Shimano wheels) so I don't think steel would be any heavier, and might be more comfortable. I'd probably swap the wheels while I'm at it. I did buy the Ridley because it was affordable so don't want to spend a bomb. Very little around second hand and this was the only thing that popped up, but I don't love it.

Would be for gravel and possible bike-packing use, I have winter and summer bikes for group rides.

Have a bike mechanic friend who is between jobs who would be happy with such a job I'm sure.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Genesis vagabond or croix de fer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

surly straggler (assuming disc breaks) possibly on sale somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Both would do the job perfectly. One requirement I forgot to add is that I'd want thru axles to make it easier to swap wheelsets with a road bike if I needed. I can find them online but not immediately with thru axles.

A nice colour would also help, e.g. the Croix de Fer 30 from this year is among the nicest looking bikes I've ever seen. The Ridley is a browny / bronze colour which might be why I've never taken to it.

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes/gravel-adventure-bikes/genesis-croix-de-fer-30-mens-gravel-road-bike-2020-in-green__7265

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

but it's over 11kg when you add pedals, bottle cages, garmin mount etc (105 groupset, heavy Shimano wheels) .

Interested to know what is a reasonably achievable weight on a gravel bike? I'm assuming it probably has to be a bit more durable and therefore heavier? And bigger tyres will presumably add a bit.

I ask because I was disappointed at the weight of mine - 11kg, albeit including saddle bag, two bottle cages and standard pedals (not clipless or spd), on 37 gravel king sks. It's a 2018 diverge with 105.

Looking online the 2020 sworks model is 9kg with a dropper post. I suspect it's pretty hard to get under 10kg on a gravel bike?

Mine is heavier than I expected too (it is 10.8kg and typically add about 500g accessories to every bike - Ultegra or 105 pedals although planning to move to mtb pedals for gravel, bottle cages, speed & cadence sensors, Garmin out front mount, Garmin Varia rear mount, clip for a topeak saddle bag). I can live with the weight tbh but if I'm at 11kg+ I felt going for steel might be more exciting

• Advertisement

Can anyone give a good reason (aside from divorce) why this shouldn't be on the way to me in tomorrow's post? Costing a bit over 700, but given the gravel market at the moment I'd hope to get 4-500 back for a very low mileage alu frame with 50mm tire clearance

It is beautiful no?

ZeuRWfi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Forget a link??

Weepsie wrote: »
    Forget a link??
    Tried to embed the photo but never seems to work for me. It's this one here

https://imgur.com/QbzaoyL

My croix de fer is fairly hefty (2013 model) but it has Dynamo, cages, garmin mount, camera mount, 2 rear lights, and some wheels are about 2kgs I'd say

One reason is the 2021 model is a nicer colour imo, as is the Croix De Fer 20 in a really nice blue.

The 2021 30 though £1899 sterling with TRP mechanical discs????? They're having a laugh there surely?

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/genesis-croix-de-fer-30-vargn21050

There was a comparable Vitus on wiggle with a full grx groupset and 725 frame for similar money that looked like better value.

That said if it's just the frame you're after none of that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The weight does not matter as much on gravel as vibration damping and general comfort... Unless we talk about cyclocross where you need to accelerate fast; but there are different bikes for this.

The last time I've weighed mine, it was north of 13kg with all the extra stuff :P

One reason is the 2021 model is a nicer colour imo, as is the Croix De Fer 20 in a really nice blue.

The 2021 30 though £1899 sterling with TRP mechanical discs????? They're having a laugh there surely?

There was a comparable Vitus on wiggle with a full grx groupset and 725 frame for similar money that looked like better value.

Genesis are definitely oerpriced RRP wise. You can often get deep discounts on them though or frames only. I got by Tour de Fer all done and built for around 1k to a higher spec than is available in shop, and saved 1k in the process. I'd have saved more if I had a mechanical brain on me

I'm swapping over components I think. Would only go for a full bike if I got a deal. There is one lower spec one near me second hand that is clearly stolen and nothing else. RRP of new bikes seems crazy and no discounts to be had in bike shops.

You can get some great deals on older framesets (sub 500) but they seem to have been slow to adopt newer standards, 12mm thru axles and flat mount disc brakes (just look at the cost of a set of DT Swiss adapters on another thread)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the CdF *bike* may be a lovely colour, but genesis usually (or used to) paint the framesets a different colour to the bikes sporting the same frame. the 725 based frameset seems to be a yellow/mustardy colour not available on any of the full bikes.

and yes, genesis prices on full bikes have become laughable.

the CdF *bike* may be a lovely colour, but genesis usually (or used to) paint the framesets a different colour to the bikes sporting the same frame. the 725 based frameset seems to be a yellow/mustardy colour not available on any of the full bikes.

and yes, genesis prices on full bikes have become laughable.

Yeah seems to be the way of it, and the difference in price between that yellow 725 and the 12/12 725 with thru axel is something.

Whats the difference there? My non expert eyes see very little

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/genesis-croix-de-fer-12-12-725-frameset-vargn21100

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/genesis-croix-de-fer-725-frameset-vargn21090

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Have you looked at Spacycles? They make good steel frames and are nice to deal with, dunno what impact brexit will have though

https://spacycles.co.uk/m11b0s143p4590/SPA-CYCLES-Elan-725-Frame-and-Forks

Have you looked at Spacycles? They make good steel frames and are nice to deal with, dunno what impact brexit will have though

https://spacycles.co.uk/m11b0s143p45...rame-and-Forks

The geometry here looks quite relaxed compared to CDF... I wonder what's the tyre clearance? At this price it's definitely worth turning a blind eye on their lettering ;)

(note that Genesis framesets used to be quite often on 50% sale... I bought both of mine for approx. 350e new...)

I actually ordered the Genesis from Spacycles. A tiny bit over budget but think it will hold resale value better.

Bit worried about Brexit now that you mention it, hopefully they ship quickly

https://spacycles.co.uk/m11b0s143p4389/GENESIS-Croix-De-Fer-853-Frameset-2020

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

I have the Spa Elan in both Ti and 725, I run 37mm tyres and mudguards with no problem. Both are extremely comfortable to ride, both are very cheap. Paul McQuaid built both bikes up for me and couldn't praise them enough, great build quality and the paint job on the blue 725 is top notch. A friend in Audaxireland got the Ti 2 yrs ago and has put up a lot of milage on it with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

OP what's actually wrong with Ridley?

IME it takes time to adjust to any new bike but especially a new style of bike.

I've only gotten used to my Genesis Fugio in last few spins. Changing out the heavy clincher mtb style tyres for nice Schwalbe tubeless and it made a huge difference.

While all my bikes are now steel, the idea that they are super comfortable and will dampen all vibration is mostly nonsense.

A sensible bike ridden on Irish gravel (which will be rough and mucky) should be cheap and strong. Light would mean very expensive and having to look at muck on your nice drivetrain

• Advertisement

The SPA guys are great. I restored an old touring bike a while back, a Dawes galaxy, (and later converted it to an ebike) and when doing so I considered changing the old cantilever brakes for something more powerful and modern. I sent them an email asking their opinion on if anything they stocked would be better and gave my budget, they replied asking for pictures etc and long story short ended up telling me not to replace them as anything I replaced it with would only be marginally better and could cause clearance issues etc. Instead recommended better pads and a clean etc. I thought this was great service, most places would have just sold me something. It worked for them though as I ended up buying everything for my resto from them!

Their custom stuff is good. I got a great touring triple chainset from them for cheap (not light but extremely solid and well made) and their leather saddles are really good too, very similar to Brooks but cheaper. I have the sprung one on my brompton and the regular on my touring/ebike.

Now that my touring bike is now a touring ebike I guess I need a regular touring bike again... very tempted to get their wayfarer,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCH4JgFBI_8

Their steel bikes are old school, which is what you want from a steel bike.

the idea that they are super comfortable and will dampen all vibration is mostly nonsense.

Not "super" and "all", but make a definite difference on longer rides or even jarring descends.

I never got used to the stiff and racy aluminium Kinesis Pro 6, couldn't descend on it with confidence on gravel as the whole bike was jumping under me, but finally the frame broke and was replaced by springy Vagabond that goes down steady like a steamroller ;)

Note its not necessarily a property of the material, but rather design and engineering - there are compliant alu and carbon frames, and stiff steel ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Frame: Ragley Trig €708 with the bike rack. I’d say that it can be bought cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

I posted this video before, but it seems like it might be worth posting here.

Quick caveat, he starts the video by talking about anecdotal experience, only to go on and say that much of the time this is provably wrong

Generally speaking alu frames and forks tend to be stiff, and steel, particularly old tourers etc, have a lot of flex. This does make a difference in comfort. My Dawes Galaxy noticeably flexes when its loaded and I "shake" it when I'm not on the bike. While cycling its not massively noticeable but is very comfortable, even with narrow tires.

Quick caveat, he starts the video by talking about anecdotal experience, only to go on and say that much of the time this is provably wrong

Also, he focuses only on seatposts, tyres and vertical compliance, while the lateral compliance and handlebar flex also play an important role in overall comfort!

OP what's actually wrong with Ridley?

IME it takes time to adjust to any new bike but especially a new style of bike.

I've only gotten used to my Genesis Fugio in last few spins. Changing out the heavy clincher mtb style tyres for nice Schwalbe tubeless and it made a huge difference.

While all my bikes are now steel, the idea that they are super comfortable and will dampen all vibration is mostly nonsense.

A sensible bike ridden on Irish gravel (which will be rough and mucky) should be cheap and strong. Light would mean very expensive and having to look at muck on your nice drivetrain
    Nothing whatsoever wrong with the Ridley - purely a case of it never being what I really wanted, bought it because it was the best (actually close to the only) thing I could find second hand in my size with something along the lines of the spec I wanted (gravel, 11s, hydraulic brakes) at an anyway decent cost. I'm hoping to swap the frame over to steel at a net cost of not too much more than 200-250€.

These Spacycles guys are actually great to deal with. Emailed me to offer to fit a headset and BB for £10 labour before they ship

Can anyone who has a CdF comment on sizing?

I'm reading on other forums that they size very big & looking at the geometry charts that does seem to be the case. I'm 1m78 so right on the top of what is recommended for a size M so not too worried

• Advertisement

I'm 1.88m and L suits me well. Go for M, I'd say.

Advertisement