Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Child Grooming Gang Busted - 32 Charged

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That there's even this debate though raises eyebrows though.
    Christianity is able to evolve (in some respects) with its deference to civil law (e.g. martial rape ok per Corinthians, but Romans provides for obeying the civil law of the land, so when martial rape was made unlawful in Ireland, its wasnt contradictory.
    Islam doesn't seem to have this "flexibility"
    Yes, as I noted Christianity had the church/state split early on even from the lips of the founder. It also had over a thousand years of classical philosophies jammed into it. And it was evolved as a faith largely in "public" to fit that thinking. So from very early on questioning was a near given. Islam didn't have that. The church is the state and vice versa. It evolved in "secret"(to the degree that to even suggest it evolved is verboten) and didn't have the deep history of Classical thought behind it(though picked some up later. A fair number of passages in the Quran are clearly influenced by Greek thought. Things like the heavens being celestial spheres and even the name they give Jesus(Latinised/Greco Yeshua)) is the Greek one Isa).

So yeah, Islam is much more rigid in many ways and yet the marriage age limits have steadily gone up in Muslim countries overall in the last century. Many went democratic too, an alien concept in Islam(Iraq even had a communist party) and women's rights became more westernised in many Muslim nations. Does this mean there isn't further to go. Hell no, but it does show that people being people will adapt even the cast iron Word Of God when it is advantageous to do so. And they'll return to it when it's advantageous to do so too. Hence some Muslim democracies came and went and Islamic fundamentalism grew. Chances are high it'll go back to more "western" in due course. I mean if this were the 1950's or 60's we'd regard the Middle East and Islam very differently.

Afgahnistan in the 60's

AD-Afghanistan-1960-Bill-Podlich-Photography-05-1.jpg

Iran in the 70's

iran704.jpg

Lebanon in the 60's

beirut-in-the-1960s74102934-l.jpg

Not a headscarf or walking tent in black to be seen. Hell, there were probably more Irish women wearing headscarves in the 60's.

And what changed in the interim? Well western powers fighting over a cold war politic and oil is most of it.

And I am most certainly no insecure hairshirt White guilt crying into my blog about how bad "we" are ballosology type. Far from it. What happened happened and that's the way it is. Tough. However the west needs to stop interfering and at the same time stop being pussies in dealing with any imported medieval nonsense in our midst and that includes happy clappy kowtowing and appeasement nonsense. We've had our share of the homegrown type and got shot of it, we should not allow the same daftness back just because it's foreign and exotic.
    Pkiernan wrote: »
    A white gang targeting Muslim children would be charged with hate crimes.

For some reasin the overwhelmingly white Conservative British government is afraid of Muslims.
    Like I noted earlier: Not least because of the fear of the various powder kegs blowing up that are too often found in multiculturalism. The same purveyors of this busted flush politic know hang well it doesn't work too well or it wouldn't be in need of such constant defending. Most "multicultural" nations became that way either through the need for bodies for colonies, or other colonies of empire came home to roost. They were landed with it as a social experiment. They're effectively stuck with it and know there are some serious flashpoints within their multicultural societies and they're essentially afraid of those flashpoints going hot. It'll happen here too, hopefully to a lesser extent, but our political class are still buying into and kowtowing to this multicultural nonsense as if the rest of the multicultural world never existed and while much of the rest of the multicultural are cracking down. You couldn't make it up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And here comes the cultural equivalence ballosology...
    I don’t think it’s particularly funny at all that some people will use circumstances like this to push their own politics, but the idea that any society is morally superior to another is predicated upon a fairly egotistical premise.
    Rightfully so. Some cultures are objectively better than others. This is a fact and has been throughout human history. And before the accusations of Eurocentrism come along: In the early medieval Islamic Spain was culturally superior to Christian France and I know which I'd rather live in and emulate.

Cultural equivalence is fundamentally based on a newly minted western cultural insecurity among some and the misunderstood post modernist waffle that we can't really judge anything objectively so shouldn't even try and it's all subjective to the observer. It's a bloody nonsense and a lazy one. Schroedinger's idiocy.
    I have no doubt there are plenty of people in Middle Eastern societies who lament the fact that people within their own society who are exhibiting signs of ‘Western Influence’ are an “impurity” within their morally superior society.
    And they are by a long list of metrics quite simply wrong. If you are a woman, Gay, a political dissenter, atheist, hell even a minority, which is the more superior culture? Democratic, nominally "christian" liberal(in the real sense) Western Europe or the undemocratic, fundamentally Islamic, conservative Middle East? If societies were so culturally equivalent why do so many want to escape one culture to another and that direction is almost entirely towards the West? Cultural equivalence my arse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,932 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Wibbs wrote: »
    And here comes the cultural equivalence ballosology...

Rightfully so. Some cultures are objectively better than others. This is a fact and has been throughout human history. And before the accusations of Eurocentrism come along: In the early medieval Islamic Spain was culturally superior to Christian France and I know which I'd rather live in and emulate.

Cultural equivalence is fundamentally based on a newly minted western cultural insecurity among some and the misunderstood post modernist waffle that we can't really judge anything objectively so shouldn't even try and it's all subjective to the observer. It's a bloody nonsense and a lazy one. Schroedinger's idiocy.

And they are by a long list of metrics quite simply wrong. If you are a woman, Gay, a political dissenter, atheist, hell even a minority, which is the more superior culture? Democratic, nominally "christian" liberal(in the real sense) Western Europe or the undemocratic, fundamentally Islamic, conservative Middle East? If societies were so culturally equivalent why do so many want to escape one culture to another and that direction is almost entirely towards the West? Cultural equivalence my arse.

It’s not cultural equivalence at all though? I responded to a post lamenting the fact that Middle Eastern societies don’t share Western values with regards to the usual hot button topics. I was suggesting that I’ve no doubt that there are people in Middle Eastern cultures who have exactly the same opinions of Western culture. Either perspective is anything but objective.

It’s not about if you were this that or the other in one society or another. Objectively in any society the individual perpetrators are aware that what they are doing is morally unjustifiable when it comes to committing grooming and sexual abuse and rape of children and how they can get away with it. Because they pick their targets and justify their actions to themselves.

but the idea that any society is morally superior to another is predicated upon a fairly egotistical premise. I have no doubt there are plenty of people in Middle Eastern societies who lament the fact that people within their own society who are exhibiting signs of ‘Western Influence’ are an “impurity” within their morally superior society. The one thing all societies have in common is the human element. It supersedes any notions of differences based upon sex, religion or anything else.

Imagine being the guy who thinks a culture who throws gays off a roof, or who stone women to death is morally equivalent to well, eh..., not doing it.

Imagine being the guy who thinks a culture who throws gays off a roof, or who stone women to death is morally equivalent to well, eh..., not doing it.

If such actions were actually common in Middle Eastern societies, I imagine at some point people would have suggested we’re gonna need more buildings to throw all the gays off, or we’re running out of stones to throw at women, I know, let’s set them on fire instead. But the reality is that those kinds of incidents are not common in Middle Eastern societies any more than grooming gangs or gang rapes are a common feature of any society or institutions, and that’s precisely why they make international headlines.

My point is that individuals are responsible for their own actions. It’s not society’s fault or any of the rest of it. It’s because these people who commit these actions have chosen to do so, not for any other reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

El Hecko wrote: »
    Wow that Andrew lad sure is keen to defend muslim rapists.

Not pointing the finger at any poster in particular but the usual suspects
    Will :-
    1) try to get these threads closed off
    2)try and get posters carded and banned from the thread
    3) Downplay the seriousness of the crimes (it's only a small number etc)
    4) Deflect the direction of the thread by blaming the catholic church.
    5) Call everone racist who tries to reason with them
    6) Go very to the feedback thread and moan about threads like this.

Nice little bit of borderline Victim Blaming by the BBC 7 years ago. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-23921570

To be clear for anyone who doesn't know the background, the Sikhs in the UK have been at the forefront of raising awareness of the Muslin Rape Gangs as their own children have been targeted. They've also been somewhat annoyed by the "Asian Gangs" thing and have been clear that they target anyone who isn't Muslim. It's not just "council estate" white girls, it's anyone not part of their group.

If such actions were actually common in Middle Eastern societies, I imagine at some point people would have suggested we’re gonna need more buildings to throw all the gays off, or we’re running out of stones to throw at women, I know, let’s set them on fire instead. But the reality is that those kinds of incidents are not common in Middle Eastern societies any more than grooming gangs or gang rapes are a common feature of any society or institutions, and that’s precisely why they make international headlines.

My point is that individuals are responsible for their own actions. It’s not society’s fault or any of the rest of it. It’s because these people who commit these actions have chosen to do so, not for any other reason.

You said a culture who sees itself as (* opens new tab to check) "morally superior to another is predicated upon a fairly egotistical premise".
    The argument they must be running out of stones if its (stoning) is so prevalent isn't much of a defence to "Asian" grooming gangs in UK.
    I've no compunction about saying my culture is better than others, the same way others may be better than mine in certain respects. Its not racist or "egotistical.

An expression of personal responsibility that is an outlier in some culture, might be the baseline in others.

You said a culture who sees itself as (* opens new tab to check) "morally superior to another is predicated upon a fairly egotistical premise".
    The argument they must be running out of stones if its (stoning) is so prevalent isn't much of a defence to "Asian" grooming gangs in UK.
    I've no compunction about saying my culture is better than others, the same way others may be better than mine in certain respects. Its not racist or "egotistical.

An expression of personal responsibility that is an outlier in some culture, might be the baseline in others.

I had to open a separate tab myself to check, because I know I didn’t say that, because my whole point is that it’s not about a culture seeing itself as morally superior, but individuals seeing their own culture as morally superior -

I don’t think it’s particularly funny at all that some people will use circumstances like this to push their own politics, but the idea that any society is morally superior to another is predicated upon a fairly egotistical premise. I have no doubt there are plenty of people in Middle Eastern societies who lament the fact that people within their own society who are exhibiting signs of ‘Western Influence’ are an “impurity” within their morally superior society. The one thing all societies have in common is the human element. It supersedes any notions of differences based upon sex, religion or anything else.

I was referring to individuals opinions and perceptions of their own “culture”, not cultures. And then you go on to demonstrate my point by stating that you have no compunction in stating that your culture is better than others (although you do allow for nuance where the original poster that I responded to, didn’t). Their point was predicated upon the notion that even in Ireland we share similar values on the topics they mentioned -

It's funny that the people who are pushing for all this multicultural society wanna wake up and get their heads out of the sand and realise that not every culture has the same values to , lgbt , women's , religious rights as want we have.

Immediately I thought, who’s this “we” business? I’m not suggesting that poster has their head in the sand, but it’s pretty obvious their perspective is limited by their head being buried up somewhere, even if it’s not sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

These people don't care. There's a video on youtube of creepy Joe Biden gloating about whites becoming a minority in America.
    Do you believe everything you see in YouTube videos?
    Jesus H Christ, that the rate is "per second' ...
    :(
    Same ballpark of the US rate of a sexual assault every two minutes, though I guess when you get a billion people together, rates of everything tend to go up.
    Nice little bit of borderline Victim Blaming by the BBC 7 years ago. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-23921570

To be clear for anyone who doesn't know the background, the Sikhs in the UK have been at the forefront of raising awareness of the Muslin Rape Gangs as their own children have been targeted. They've also been somewhat annoyed by the "Asian Gangs" thing and have been clear that they target anyone who isn't Muslim. It's not just "council estate" white girls, it's anyone not part of their group.

That's likely to be a big shock to the posters here keen to paint the contrary picture, the ones who've been specifically playing the 'white girls' card repeatedly here. Not to point the figure at anyone in particular, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Just had a look, and like clockwork they are there moaning about "threads full of racism". No examples given of course. I actually sort of feel bad for the mods, as they are constantly being shamed into action without evidence.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Just a heads up, the Sky News investigative report on the thread topic child grooming and the gangs involved is on again in about 1 minute: @ approx 5:23 pm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Just had a look, and like clockwork they are there moaning about "threads full of racism". No examples given of course. I actually sort of feel bad for the mods, as they are constantly being shamed into action without evidence.
    Such miserable pathetic people. Don't be racist towards the rapists whatever you do.

Mod:

Take it to feedback - in the meantime don't post in this thread again seeing as you want to drag it off topic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Kivaro wrote: »
    Just a heads up, the Sky News investigative report on the thread topic child grooming and the gangs involved is on again in about 1 minute: @ approx 5:23 pm.

Watched it yesterday, worth a watch if very upsetting.

The way “Sarah” was treated by authorities was shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Clearly you've not spent much, if any time in a middle Eastern country

I had to open a separate tab myself to check, because I know I didn’t say that, because my whole point is that it’s not about a culture seeing itself as morally superior, but individuals seeing their own culture as morally superior -
    I was referring to individuals opinions and perceptions of their own “culture”, not cultures. And then you go on to demonstrate my point by stating that you have no compunction in stating that your culture is better than others (although you do allow for nuance where the original poster that I responded to, didn’t). Their point was predicated upon the notion that even in Ireland we share similar values on the topics they mentioned .

Verbatim, that's what you said!

And for a fact, I know my culture is better (by any metric) than others (not all though!). Its not egotistical. If it was a misplaced belief, you might be onto something!

We're only going around in circles tho

And for a fact, I know my culture is better (by any metric) than others (not all though!). Its not egotistical. If it was a misplaced belief, you might be onto something!

It clearly isn’t, not only do I know what I said, but it’s there in black and white. Apart from that, my point is that anyone (including you, including me), making any sort of judgement about their own culture and it’s comparison to another culture, is fundamentally egotistical, as their judgement is predicated upon their own moral values. That’s why I said I’ve no doubt there are people in the Middle East who have the same attitude towards what they see as the “impurities” within their own culture which they ascribe to “Western Influence”.

To give you an example of people’s politics influencing their perspective, I have no doubt the term “rape culture” will be bandied about in some quarters as the people who adhere to that particular ideology will observe the same grooming gangs as endemic of “toxic masculinity”, “male violence”, “male entitlement” and all the rest of it. It’s easy to overlook the fact that what they are doing is engaging in guilt by association, when the reality is that these men’s actions were a crime of opportunity as opposed to being influenced by anything within their religion or anything else.

Does anyone here honestly think that these men didn’t realise it was prohibited by law to commit rape in the UK? They did of course. They just chose to ignore it. Not because their religion suggests their behaviour is justified (it doesn’t), but simply because they chose to commit rape, and they picked victims they could be fairly certain would not cause any issues for them. They didn’t just target white girls as a matter of course, they picked specific targets they could be fairly certain they could get away with abusing and raping with impunity.

What is your culture, Mike?

Clearly you've not spent much, if any time in a middle Eastern country

I’m guessing you have, and that you now consider yourself an authority on the attitudes and cultures of a population of nearly half a billion people.

It clearly isn’t, not only do I know what I said, but it’s there in black and white. Apart from that, my point is that anyone (including you, including me), making any sort of judgement about their own culture and it’s comparison to another culture, is fundamentally egotistical, as their judgement is predicated upon their own moral values. That’s why I said I’ve no doubt there are people in the Middle East who have the same attitude towards what they see as the “impurities” within their own culture which they ascribe to “Western Influence”.

To give you an example of people’s politics influencing their perspective, I have no doubt the term “rape culture” will be bandied about in some quarters as the people who adhere to that particular ideology will observe the same grooming gangs as endemic of “toxic masculinity”, “male violence”, “male entitlement” and all the rest of it. It’s easy to overlook the fact that what they are doing is engaging in guilt by association, when the reality is that these men’s actions were a crime of opportunity as opposed to being influenced by anything within their religion or anything else.

Does anyone here honestly think that these men didn’t realise it was prohibited by law to commit rape in the UK? They did of course. They just chose to ignore it. Not because their religion suggests their behaviour is justified (it doesn’t), but simply because they chose to commit rape, and they picked victims they could be fairly certain would not cause any issues for them. They didn’t just target white girls as a matter of course, they picked specific targets they could be fairly certain they could get away with abusing and raping with impunity.

Ah jasis, you denied saying it and said it again in the same breath. Its not egotistical.
    Its factual. Not conceited or arrogant.
    By any metric , my culture is better than certain others). This is indisputable really...
    Ironically, to claim that some ME people might see themselves as better based on moral values would be egotistical

I completly disagree they were opportunistic if that's what you mean by crimes of opportunity. These were premeditated, well planned, organised and methodological. ( you second paragraph contradicts your third).

While we're discussing UK, cultural norns are being used in mitigation of migrants' sexual assaults on Western women.

• Advertisement

How did it to get to stage where Pakistani rape gangs in English towns are now normal?

It's like how muslims beheading and slaughtering people in France has become normal. Sometimes you have to laugh at how absurd the western world is.

And we’re “far right racists” for declaring child rape gangs as not fit for society!!!

How did it to get to stage where Pakistani rape gangs in English towns are now normal?

It's like how muslims beheading and slaughtering people in France has become normal. Sometimes you have to laugh at how absurd the western world is.

Normal, as in - something happens once in a blue moon and gets a huge amount of publicity, while other communities continue to beat and rape women and girls on a regular basis (but ssssshhhh we don't want talk about that here on boards, it's only the small percentage of Muslim crimes we want to talk about here).

I'm half serious when I say that actually seems to be your/the left's attitude. You'd nearly sacrifice the current generation of children for diversity's sake.

Remember the post Naz Shah liked "Those girls should shut up for the sake of diversity".

'
    Didn't the Labour Party suspend Shadow Minister Naz Shah for antisemitism at one stage of her career?
    One would have to wonder if there is a correlation between people who are anti-Semite and their views on these mainly Muslim grooming & rape gangs who are still operating in towns and cities in the north of England.

It will be interesting to hear Priti Patel's views later on in the week, when the Home Office release their report on the grooming gangs. I presume it will be a scathing report.

Ah jasis, you denied saying it and said it again in the same breath. Its not egotistical.
    Its factual. Not conceited or arrogant.
    By any metric , my culture is better than certain others). This is indisputable really...
    Ironically, to claim that some ME people might see themselves as better based on moral values would be egotistical

It’s not factual, it’s based entirely upon your opinions which are informed by your own values. I use the word egotistical in that context to mean someone making a judgement based upon how they perceive something, naturally they’re going to be more inclined to say things like “objectively, my culture is the best”. I know you see what’s wrong in that statement.

I completly disagree they were opportunistic if that's what you mean by crimes of opportunity. These were premeditated, well planned, organised and methodological. ( you second paragraph contradicts your third).

No the way you put it is the way I meant crimes of opportunity - there was a combination of factors involved which enabled them to do what they were doing and be able to do it for as long as they did, with who they were doing it to. Their victims weren’t just random young girls picked on the basis that they were white. There were other factors involved in both the opportunity and the motivation in picking their victims.

While we're discussing UK, cultural norns are being used in mitigation of migrants' sexual assaults on Western women.

I know, and I think it’s complete nonsense. In Norway, just as an example of one country, these classes have an awful familiarity with the push that exists here already for “consent classes” in schools and third level institutions, as if anyone who is of a mind to commit rape and abuse is going to give a crap about their victims. The only thing they give a crap about is themselves, and because of the way they pick their victims, thoughts of being caught and punished don’t normally occur to them.

Let them call us want they what, we are the majority. These are mentally sick people trying to downplay organised abused and rape of young girls. You will always be better than them.

Don’t forget, despite gangs of 30 men at a time being convicted, and active for years and years its “such a small number” of rapes that to them it’s not worth bothering with.

No conscience some people.

volchitsa wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're saying here - it looks as though you're saying that Islam isn't a problem in the west but foreigners are. Or have I got you wrong?

This looks kind of nearly right.
    Islam is not a problem.
    Foreigners are not a problem.
    But there may be issues with certain societies.

Well if its true that they are assisting the police and convictions are being made that is a big step forward after the shambles and disregard for the victims in the rotherham case and others.
    Sure it was swept under the carpet for a long time, kept hushed up. An MP even said it was better to keep it quiet for the sake of multiculturalism.

I'm not so sure if there is as many convictions being made as should be even to this day. Alot of the time were only told what they want us to know.

Im not sure what the point here is. The police and authorities failed to act, heads should have and did roll, the organisations made it right as best they could and sexual offences are prosecuted.

What is it that you want from them that hasnt already been offered / done?

Im not sure what the point here is. The police and authorities failed to act, heads should have and did roll, the organisations made it right as best they could and sexual offences are prosecuted.

What is it that you want from them that hasnt already been offered / done?

Who lost their job over this?

It’s not cultural equivalence at all though? I responded to a post lamenting the fact that Middle Eastern societies don’t share Western values with regards to the usual hot button topics. I was suggesting that I’ve no doubt that there are people in Middle Eastern cultures who have exactly the same opinions of Western culture. Either perspective is anything but objective.
    But one is objectively conservative and backward and less open to debate or change and that makes it lesser.
    It’s not about if you were this that or the other in one society or another. Objectively in any society the individual perpetrators are aware that what they are doing is morally unjustifiable when it comes to committing grooming and sexual abuse and rape of children and how they can get away with it. Because they pick their targets and justify their actions to themselves.
    That might fly in cases of individual predators, but predator groups have to form a basic consensus of agreement on what is justifiable according to the group and have to agree on which targets are lesser and open to abuse, even to the twisted point of deserving it. So they target those outside their group, their subculture, White and as noted Sikh young women. Women who aren't Muslim. These are well enough considered steps. There's little leeway for random.

The fact that these grooming and rape gangs are almost exclusively formed of one very particular class, ethnic and religious subculture is pretty telling of what is seen as "fair game" to that subculture. It's not Islam or we'd be seeing a broader range of perps who are Muslim. It's not race either because we're not seeing this among Indians Hindu or Sikhs. This does not mean that Pakistani Muslim men are all predators, it does however suggest that this subculture is more likely to give rise or turn more of a blind eye to them.

In just the same way that the subculture of the male clergy of the Catholic Church concentrated and covered for a percentage of abusers far more than background levels. Most would quite happily acknowledge that, but then take issue when what appears to be a quite clear case of a similar setup among another subculture, when they're not White and Christian of course. If there were a similar trend in sexual crime gangs in the Polish community in the UK, you can be sure the authorities wouldn't be as slow to commit to investigation.

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Once in a blue moon and it gets a huge amount of publicity- jesus wept!

Every community has rapists, only one community in the uk specialises in rape gangs. They also dont touch anyone from their own community. The fact that 20-30 rapists at a time are convicted n they are all from the same small towns is beyond coincidence.
    That there doesn't seem to have been a peep about it out of their communities is a damning indictment on them.

And therein lies an even bigger problem with those communities.

Advertisement