Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Child Grooming Gang Busted - 32 Charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

When I think of Asian I think of the vietnamese, Chinese or Japanese and the characteristics associated with them,I don't think Asian when I hear of "asian" grooming gangs, immediately and correctly i think dirty Pakistanis bastards who seem to have a "niche" market cornered in the wholesale abuse of minors, it's a very big brush and very broad strikes if we keep referring to them as Asian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Wrong

most gang rapes in Ireland are commited by white catholics.

most in the UK are committed by white Protestants.

Stop with the blatant lobsided ****e. It doesnt stand up to scrutiny when you actually reasearch the subject

Do you know anything about proportional representation? Are all the gang rapes in Ireland by white Catholics targeting a particular group? Cant say i have heard of more than a few gang rapes in Ireland. I would imagine it would be all over the news if gangs of Catholics were targeting protestant underage girls, maybe i missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Wrong

most gang rapes in Ireland are commited by white catholics.

most in the UK are committed by white Protestants.

Stop with the blatant lobsided ****e. It doesnt stand up to scrutiny when you actually reasearch the subject

Can you link the source of that and the numbers? It would be interesting to compare the overall numbers and the numbers per population.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Kivaro wrote: »
    One would have to wonder how long these grooming/rape gangs are in operation. A report by the deputy children's commissioner in 2012 said that 33% of child sex abuse by gangs in Britain was committed by British Asians, where Asians are 7% of the population. Regarding the "Asian" classification, from this link:
    Hindu and Sikh groups have objected to media use of the "Asian" description saying that the culprits were "almost always of Pakistani origin" and "Muslim". They contend that clouding the issue by calling them "Asians" is unfair towards other groups and detrimental to a frank discussion.

Looking at the scale of the problem, more than 18,700 suspected victims of child sexual exploitation were identified by local authorities in 2018-19, and at the time Sajid Javid promised a review into the characteristics of grooming gangs in 2018, saying high-profile cases included a “high proportion of men of Pakistani heritage” and that “cultural reasons” could be at play.

Almost 19,000 children in the UK in one year alone is an epidemic, and definitely not a "very small, very niche form of sexual abuse" as one poster on here disgracefully calls it. With those types of comments, one can rightly be dismayed at the lack of compassion and lack of acceptance of the truth.

What are you expecting or hoping will change if the authorities accept your proof? Restrict any Pakistani or even Muslims from entering the UK? Maybe round up all the current UK Muslims and lock them up? I can't see what outcome you are hoping for by focusing on their religion?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

When I think of Asian I think of the vietnamese, Chinese or Japanese and the characteristics associated with them,I don't think Asian when I hear of "asian" grooming gangs, immediately and correctly i think dirty Pakistanis bastards who seem to have a "niche" market cornered in the wholesale abuse of minors, it's a very big brush and very broad strikes if we keep referring to them as Asian

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    I agree but for some people to deny there is a higher incidence of groups of men from certain backgrounds to have more of a prevalence for this activity helps nobody. Im sure anytime good people from the particular background see this they must be thinking not again.

I am not sure about that idea in terms of statistics. A good while ago when the first ''Asian'' gangs stories came to light I did a bit of research and at the time the indication was that the rape rate of the accused was no greater than the rape rate in other ethnicities. The difference was the gang element, whereas other rapists of minors tended to operate solely or in pairs. But ultimately rapists were abusing at the same rate no matter what culture they came from. It did surprise me (edit - because of the prominence of the stories I had been expecting a different result). I am too lazy to look now but it did stick in my mind at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you know anything about proportional representation? Are all the gang rapes in Ireland by white Catholics targeting a particular group? Cant say i have heard of more than a few gang rapes in Ireland. I would imagine it would be all over the news if gangs of Catholics were targeting protestant underage girls, maybe i missed it.

Ok, so now the colour and religion of the victims is what's important?

These damn racist paedophiles, why can't they just abuse their own kind, then it would be grand, right?

I can find you similar in Ireland. Does that make us all active or defenders of rapists? Most criminals will defend and protect other criminals even if they disagree with the actual crime....

Yes & sex offenders are segregated in prison as the other criminals will protect them

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I am not sure about that idea in terms of statistics. A good while ago when the first ''Asian'' gangs stories came to light I did a bit of research and at the time the indication was that the rape rate of the accused was no greater than the rape rate in other ethnicities. The difference was the gang element, whereas other rapists of minors tended to operate solely or in pairs. But ultimately rapists were abusing at the same rate no matter what culture they came from. It did surprise me. I am too lazy to look now but it did stick in my mind at the time.
    I think its pretty clear proportionally more grooming gangs are from this particular background, as you said its troubling enough crime but when there is a gang element, its hard to fathom how groups of men can think the same way to do this crime.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ok, so now the colour and religion of the victims is what's important?

These damn racist paedophiles, why can't they just abuse their own kind, then it would be grand, right?

You completely missed the point, read back over the argument before jumping to conclusions. Its the modus operandi that has to be investigated to prevent this crime.

• Advertisement

I think its pretty clear proportionally more grooming gangs are from this particular background, as you said its troubling enough crime but when there is a gang element, its hard to fathom how groups of men can think the same way to do this crime.

Honestly it would take a while to find the stats again, and I could be proved wrong - but I think one of the things was that ''grooming gangs'' were used in one type of crime and paedophile ''rings'' are used otherwise.

Don't get me wrong. It is appalling. Rotherham with a population of 250,000 had at least 1400 children raped by these gangs. It is almost unfathomable.
    That is over a 15 year period. In the single year period of 2019 the police in England and Wales recorded 73,260 sexual offences where there are data to identify the victim was a child. Multiply by 15 is over a million - 1,000,000 - in a 15 year period.
    The logic is children and minors are being raped by lots of bad people including but not just limited to or even mostly by ''Asian'' grooming gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Kivaro wrote: »
    Almost 19,000 children in the UK in one year alone is an epidemic, and definitely not a "very small, very niche form of sexual abuse" as one poster on here disgracefully calls it. With those types of comments, one can rightly be dismayed at the lack of compassion and lack of acceptance of the truth.

This number is the total of all sexual abuse cases of children, not those carried by Muslim grooming gangs, right?

Less spinning please.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,932 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nope, it isn’t clear at all, not even proportionally so based upon notions of proportional representation. It’s an impossibility to quantify with any degree of certainty given the clandestine nature of the offences involved, not just solely the demographics of either the perpetrators, or their victims -

The Quilliam report, Group Based Child Sexual Exploitation: Dissecting Grooming Gangs, written by Haras Rafiq and Muna Adil, claims that 84% of grooming gang offenders are Asian, the majority “of Pakistani origin with Muslim heritage”. That figure quickly caught the headlines, cementing the narrative of an “epidemic” of Asian grooming gangs.

The report faced fierce criticism from academic researchers. Ella Cockbain, a lecturer in security and crime science, is an expert on child sexual exploitation. She said it “is a case study in bad science: riddled with errors, inconsistencies, a glaring lack of transparency, sweeping claims and gross generalisations unfounded its own ‘data’”.

Beyond the inflammatory rhetoric, what are the facts? Surprisingly few. Certainly, the media have highlighted many cases involving Asian men grooming girls, often white, for sexual exploitation. Media coverage is, however, a poor gauge of facts.

Nazir Afzal is the Crown Prosecution Service’s former lead on child sexual abuse and the prosecutor most responsible for bringing down grooming gangs. The media, he observes, pounce on cases involving Asians, but often ignore those involving white perpetrators.

“Grooming gang” is not a legal category. Group-based child sexual exploitation (CSE) falls under a range of offences, from rape to conspiracy to incite prostitution. In only some cases, often when non-whites are involved, is ethnicity recorded. All this makes it difficult to ascertain the facts and behoves us to be cautious.

We’re told 84% of grooming gangs are Asian. But where’s the evidence?

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    Can you link the source of that and the numbers? It would be interesting to compare the overall numbers and the numbers per population.

You see this is where the racism comes to play. You need to twist numbers to compare. Theres not scores of Asian rape gangs. There was cases, over many years. I dont think people realise just how large the Asian population is in the UK. Those involved in the cases represent a tiny minority of the group just as white Catholic or Protestants do.

Its like claiming that all Catholic priests are child abusers because that happened. It was a scandal, it was a disgrace to the church and the authorities who failed to act but it doesnt mean you get to spit at your local priest and call his a paedophile (which refers to a sexual attraction to pre-pubescant children by the way)

Likewise theres cases of Irish rape gangs. Do you have any concept of how much was commited in Northern Ireland? You think they only shot each other? You think the acts of savagary were restricted to kidnapping and murdering mothers and leaving orphans?

Sick people will commit their acts on the weak available target. Im not discounting that upbringing and culture doesnt or cant play a part. I accept that aspect exists but stick to the facts. Stick to the actions that actually occured by those that committed them. Shout abuse at the guy because hes a sick twisted rapist. His colour shouldnt enter the equation.

as for stats, theres thousands online. Hundreds of books. I havent got the time to compile what I have read and learnt on the subjects over years of reading.

Heres two to get the ball rolling and the second shows the protection afforded the evil ****.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Teen+gang+is+quizzed+over+rape+of+12+year+old+girl%3B+CINEMA+NIGHT...-a060627810

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/gang-leader-and-rapist-released-after-15-year-prison-sentence-1.3465563

Augeo wrote: »
    Yes & sex offenders are segregated in prison as the other criminals will protect them

Actually they arent.

Theres a seperate prison for 'vulnerable' prisoners. Not all rapists are in Shelton Abbey either.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Weaponizing American racial tensions is a path to justifying more diversity, pointing out the disgusting behavior of Islamic grooming gangs harms the push for diversity. It's really that simple. These people are willing to let many be hurt and harmed by these policies, once they continue. These types will regularly tell you how empathetic and compassionate they are, all while downplaying rape, murder, and all sort of other barbarism.

Can you point to any specific examples on this thread where anyone downplayed rape or murder please?

You see this is where the racism comes to play. You need to twist numbers to compare. Theres not scores of Asian rape gangs. There was cases, over many years. I dont think people realise just how large the Asian population is in the UK. Those involved in the cases represent a tiny minority of the group just as white Catholic or Protestants do.

Its like claiming that all Catholic priests are child abusers because that happened. It was a scandal, it was a disgrace to the church and the authorities who failed to act but it doesnt mean you get to spit at your local priest and call his a paedophile (which refers to a sexual attraction to pre-pubescant children by the way)

Likewise theres cases of Irish rape gangs. Do you have any concept of how much was commited in Northern Ireland? You think they only shot each other? You think the acts of savagary were restricted to kidnapping and murdering mothers and leaving orphans?

Sick people will commit their acts on the weak available target. Im not discounting that upbringing and culture doesnt or cant play a part. I accept that aspect exists but stick to the facts. Stick to the actions that actually occured by those that committed them. Shout abuse at the guy because hes a sick twisted rapist. His colour shouldnt enter the equation.

as for stats, theres thousands online. Hundreds of books. I havent got the time to compile what I have read and learnt on the subjects over years of reading.

Heres two to get the ball rolling and the second shows the protection afforded the evil ****.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Teen+gang+is+quizzed+over+rape+of+12+year+old+girl%3B+CINEMA+NIGHT...-a060627810

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/gang-leader-and-rapist-released-after-15-year-prison-sentence-1.3465563

Talking proportionally is not twisting numbers, it makes statistical sense to do that .I never for a second claimed all muslim men are rapists, im saying that the root cause for these grooming gangs who have a specific modus operandi in England needs to be investigated, too many similar occurrences in English towns for there not to be some root cause and thinking behind these perpetrators actions. BTW if there was gangs of white english lads going around English towns targeting young asian girls i would also be calling for a root cause to be found for this pattern of actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Nope, it isn’t clear at all, not even proportionally so based upon notions of proportional representation. It’s an impossibility to quantify with any degree of certainty given the clandestine nature of the offences involved, not just solely the demographics of either the perpetrators, or their victims -

The Quilliam report, Group Based Child Sexual Exploitation: Dissecting Grooming Gangs, written by Haras Rafiq and Muna Adil, claims that 84% of grooming gang offenders are Asian, the majority “of Pakistani origin with Muslim heritage”. That figure quickly caught the headlines, cementing the narrative of an “epidemic” of Asian grooming gangs.

The report faced fierce criticism from academic researchers. Ella Cockbain, a lecturer in security and crime science, is an expert on child sexual exploitation. She said it “is a case study in bad science: riddled with errors, inconsistencies, a glaring lack of transparency, sweeping claims and gross generalisations unfounded its own ‘data’”.

Beyond the inflammatory rhetoric, what are the facts? Surprisingly few. Certainly, the media have highlighted many cases involving Asian men grooming girls, often white, for sexual exploitation. Media coverage is, however, a poor gauge of facts.

Nazir Afzal is the Crown Prosecution Service’s former lead on child sexual abuse and the prosecutor most responsible for bringing down grooming gangs. The media, he observes, pounce on cases involving Asians, but often ignore those involving white perpetrators.

“Grooming gang” is not a legal category. Group-based child sexual exploitation (CSE) falls under a range of offences, from rape to conspiracy to incite prostitution. In only some cases, often when non-whites are involved, is ethnicity recorded. All this makes it difficult to ascertain the facts and behoves us to be cautious.

We’re told 84% of grooming gangs are Asian. But where’s the evidence?

Nobody is ‘ignoring’ cases with white perpetrators. People of the islamic faith far over represent in child sexual assault in the UK compared to how many of them are in the population.

Its centred around a belief system that sees women as having as much agency as a lamp and where marrying and having sex with pre pubescent children is normalised.

All child sexual assault is awful, but this business of trying to downplay the over representation of muslims in the perpetration of such is not only harming children but also that virtue signalling level of racism that completely ignores facts to try shoehorn muslims in as ‘functioning’ members of western society when there are clearly massive issues

Talking proportionally is not twisting numbers, it makes statistical sense to do that .I never for a second claimed all muslim men are rapists, im saying that the root cause for these grooming gangs who have a specific modus operandi in England needs to be investigated, too many similar occurrences in English towns for there not to be some root cause and thinking behind these perpetrators actions. BTW if there was gangs of white english lads going around English towns targeting young asian girls i would also be calling for a root cause to be found for this pattern of actions.

I think that is a justifiable request. If large groups of specifically Irish people were targeting minors in say for example Asian communities in Australia - even in spite of the existence of manifold other types of rape and abuse networks, and even in spite of it not being statistically more significant than solitary abuse numbers - I would like to have the reasons at the heart of that particular phenomenon thoroughly investigated and the practice rooted out.
    Along with criminological due diligence in all other areas of sexual abuse.
    As another example of a particular cultural phenomenon that could do with being looked at there is the long time existence of sex abuse of minors by Europeans in Asia. There are patterns to these crimes that must be recorded and studied.

I think that is a justifiable request. If large groups of specifically Irish people were targeting minors in say for example Asian communities in Australia - even in spite of the existence of manifold other types of rape and abuse networks, and even in spite of it not being statistically more significant than solitary abuse numbers - I would like to have the reasons at the heart of that particular phenomenon thoroughly investigated and the practice rooted out.
    Along with criminological due diligence in all other areas of sexual abuse.
    As another example of a particular cultural phenomenon that could do with being looked at there is the long time existence of sex abuse of minors by Europeans in Asia. There are patterns to these crimes that must be recorded and studied.

Exactly, pattern analysis is a major factor in solving/preventing crime and these grooming gangs all have the same modus operandi, as you said those old white dudes that go to Thailand on holidays should be compared to see what is the common denominator in there actions.

• Advertisement

Nobody is ‘ignoring’ cases with white perpetrators. People of the islamic faith far over represent in child sexual assault in the UK compared to how many of them are in the population.

Its centred around a belief system that sees women as having as much agency as a lamp and where marrying and having sex with pre pubescent children is normalised.

All child sexual assault is awful, but this business of trying to downplay the over representation of muslims in the perpetration of such is not only harming children but also that virtue signalling level of racism that completely ignores facts to try shoehorn muslims in as ‘functioning’ members of western society when there are clearly massive issues

I do not know if this is true as you have provided no statistics. I do think there are issues with specifically Islam in regard to women and sex more generally and it appalls me - people can pooh-pooh that all they like but there is terrible treatment of women in many Islamic countries. A young Instagrammer - Sahar Tabar - has just been sentenced to 10 years in jail in Iran for using makeup online to look like Angelina Jolie. 10 years in a doubtlessly horrific place! It is unbelievable. Mind you it is sh1t in Iran for many men too who are not in lock-step. But women and girls are in jail there for simply not wearing scarves!!
    But you may surprise yourself if you research statistics and find that there is no over-representation in the UK in such specific crimes by Muslims. Or you may surprise others in the thread by providing the facts to prove it. There has to be research behind opinions - eg numbers of sex offenders per culture proportionally in prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I do not know if this is true as you have provided no statistics. I do think there are issues with specifically Islam in regard to women and sex more generally and it appalls me - people can pooh-pooh that all they like but there is terrible treatment of women in many Islamic countries. A young Instagrammer - Sahar Tabar - has just been sentenced to 10 years in jail in Iran for using makeup online to look like Angelina Jolie. 10 years in a doubtlessly horrific place! It is unbelievable. Mind you it is sh1t in Iran for many men too who are not in lock-step. But women and girls are in jail there for simply not wearing scarves!!
    But you may surprise yourself if you research statistics and find that there is no over-representation in the UK in such specific crimes by Muslims. Or you may surprise others in the thread by providing the facts to prove it. There has to be research behind opinions - eg numbers of sex offenders per culture proportionally in prison?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/659701/number-convicted-sexual-offenders-by-ethnicity-tables.xlsx

Thankfully that data does exist, 2011-2016 convictions.

If you remember that muslims are 5% of the uk and black people are 3% the figures in that excel sheet show horrific over representations in almost every facet of sexual crime against women and girls.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/659701/number-convicted-sexual-offenders-by-ethnicity-tables.xlsx

Thankfully that data does exist, 2011-2016 convictions.

If you remember that muslims are 5% of the uk and black people are 3% the figures in that excel sheet show horrific over representations in almost every facet of sexual crime against women and girls.

Thanks. I will have to look at that when I get the time to concentrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

You're calling me a racist for asking for your source of your claim to better understand the data? And your source of data is two random article about two incidents?

Or in other words you're making up statistics because it sounds good to you and insulting people who ask about it.

Talking about pedo tourists going to South East Asia is stupid. They aren't a demographic. They're pedos getting on flights. And most of the abuse is by East Asians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No one said all said all south asian origin muslim men in the uk are rapists. That would be completely absurd. As absurd as saying all priests are paedos.

But there was/is a clear issue with the culture within the RCC which allowed child abuse to fester.

Similarly it is clear given the stats that there is an issue within the culture of south asian origin muslim men in the uk which allows this grooming/abuse behaviour to fester.

It's not racism to point this out and to want it addressed. Will some racists latch on to it? Yes. But the priority here should be the victims of these gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,932 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They’re not though, there’s simply no way to quantify how prevalent the issue is even within Muslim communities due to what i said is the clandestine nature of the offences. Those Muslims who have been arrested and convicted though, are not proportionally over-represented in terms of the whole number of people who have been arrested and convicted of offences relating to child sexual exploitation. The media here chooses to highlight cases involving Muslims, whereas it takes an awful lot for them to report on child sexual exploitation among other communities -

’Most sadistic paedo ring we’ve ever seen’ 11 family members arrested

Scout leaders' paedophile ring preyed on kids and facilitated sexual abuse

You’re not ignoring cases with white perpetrators, no, you’re just focusing on cases where there’s a Muslim angle involved due to your own biased opinions of Islamic culture.

No it’s not? I’ve known people to come out with the same crap about any religion or culture or social group, that they just don’t like, and it’s just not in any way, shape or form representative of the reality of either that religion or culture or social group. In order to take your opinion seriously, I’d have to be completely ignorant of Islam, Muslims or anything else related to same, and I’m not. I know what you’re saying above is just not true.

Ahh seriously? You’re trying to pull the racist card or virtue signalling card on anyone who criticises your attempts to over-play the focus on Muslims in relation to child sexual exploitation and tell anyone who doesn’t agree with your assessment that they are ignoring facts and harming children? That’s the sort of politicised hay making I was referring to earlier that would be a feature of any discussion relating to this incident. You want to make sweeping generalisations with no facts and anyone who doesn’t agree with your assertions is part of the problem and doesn’t care about the harm being caused to children?

That’s just a different sort of virtue signalling Eric, dog whistling, even.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Talking about pedo tourists going to South East Asia is stupid. They aren't a demographic. They're pedos getting on flights. And most of the abuse is by East Asians.
    Really? Hadnt heard that

Yes it is true that most of the child sex abuse in SE Asia is committed by Asians. But the European and N American sex tourist is still a "demographic" in terms of research, albeit a smaller one. Just as grooming gangs may be a small demographic within a bigger problem of child abuse in Europe. It is still a group with specific things that link them - eg for the sex tourist it might be access to money for flights, a twisted sentiment of benevolence, introduction by a friend, I don't know, stuff like that. There may also be links in the grooming gang demographic that can be studied. That is what I meant.

• Advertisement

But you arent asking for an investigation, you are making an allegation without scientific or statistical evidence to support it. You have dragged proportionality in without actually utilising it to defend or prove your claim. You asked me was I aware of it and yes I am. I suggest its not a significant imbalance in race or culture of attacker. can you show that it is?

The root cause is a sexual deviancy or psycological quirk. You seem to think that group attacks are some form of aberation. Its not, humans tend to perform tasks in groups with likeminded people. I dont like to utilise the word 'social' with 'rapists' but in pure behavioural terms its accurate across many platforms. In much the same way that children learn behaviour from parents, they also learn from peers. Abused children have been shown to display abnormal sexual tendancies.

Their targets were not picked based on race. they were targeted based on stereotypical sexual predator criteria. opportunity, availability, ease of influence and risk of being caught. Its a calculated action performed by most attackers. Probable psycopaths as well but I cant say yes or no on that score.

You suggest above that someone flying for the purpose is similar and yes it is but again only in regards the calculations that an attacker performs. Western sexual predators travel to Asia because the oppertunity, accessibility to victims and chances of being caught are significantly lower than at home. Its the same calculation that these people did.

Its a similar calculation even removing the children. Someone that wishes to frequent prostitites may consider the cost, ease of access and freedom of activity to merit travelling.

Hell, people perform these calculations when deciding on getting a nose job at home or abroad.

Advertisement