Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharps box

• 10-12-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

I need to get a sharps box. Last time my pharmacist gave me one but this time that didn't. Can I pick up a few one from the public health centre of where do I get them?

I went to another pharmacy but they were no help tbh.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I used to get mine from the local health clinic & they’d swap it for a new one when it was full. Give your nearest one a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I used to get mine from the local health clinic & they’d swap it for a new one when it was full. Give your nearest one a call.

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I’m very surprised that any pharmacy gave you one, TBH.

It’s just not something that pharmacies do.

Called the public health centre today to get one of these and they were no help at all. Our family doctor is in a different part of the country to where were living at the moment so the health centre said they couldn't give me a box because I wasn't registered in their catchment. Completely ridiculous imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

they certainly used to, i had one that i got from apharmacy too a couple of years ago. sure there must be somewhere supplying them, as sharps have to be disposed of correctly

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    they certainly used to, i had one that i got from apharmacy too a couple of years ago. sure there must be somewhere supplying them, as sharps have to be disposed of correctly

Precisely.
    They must be disposed of correctly.
    And that costs money.

And nobody’s willing to pay pharmacies to dispose of them, so they don’t, as a rule. In 30 plus years working in pharmacies all over the country, I’ve seen ONE company that provides and takes back sharps boxes. And it costs them a feckin fortune each year.

Whatever doctor/clinic has prescribed your injection, ask them for a sharps box and to take back the full one. Diabetes clinics in the hospitals will give them out and take them back, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

The company that provides my meds provides a sharps box free. And empties and replaces it it. I'm on enbrel if that's any help at all.

This may course be useless to you but good luck anyway

Pharma companies must offer a sharp box if administration of medication is required through a needle.

Sunnyspot wrote: »
    Pharma companies must offer a sharp box if administration of medication is required through a needle.

Says who? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying that that’s a rather sweeping statement and I’ve never heard of it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 morebarn

PCeeeee wrote: »
    The company that provides my meds provides a sharps box free. And empties and replaces it it. I'm on enbrel if that's any help at all.

This may course be useless to you but good luck anyway

Same with myself.
    I use Cimzia injection for Rheumatoid Arthritis.
    The company supplying it used to supply and collect the sharp bins. Then it was contracted out to another group. I ring them when I need collection.

• Advertisement

I called into another pharmacy and they had one spare so they gave it to me. It should keep me could for another while at least until I'm back to my own GP after Christmas.

I should be surprised by the attitude of the local health centre but sadly I'm not. If I took their attitude I'd have been left with the irresponsible option of chucking them in the black bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

My local health centre swaps it out now problem.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Seriously, just go to your local public health centre.

I’ve been using the 3 nearest me randomly since the mid 90’s with no questions & no problems. I’ll either walk in & ask for a fresh one or I show up with a full one & tell them I need a new empty bin. They take the full one & replace it with an empty. I’m rarely there for more than a minute or two while they do it & in all that time I’ve never even been asked for the name of a doctor.

Advertisement