Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up small takeaway.

Options
  • 10-12-2020 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, everyone. I want to set up a small takeaway kebab shop. I was wondering what is the process of starting up a small takeaway in Ireland? The premises that I have found for rent used to be a small barber shop, so do I need planning permission or something to change it to a takeaway?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

NinjaRambo wrote: »
    Hi, everyone. I want to set up a small takeaway kebab shop. I was wondering what is the process of starting up a small takeaway in Ireland? The premises that I have found for rent used to be a small barber shop, so do I need planning permission or something to change it to a takeaway?

Can't remember do you need a change of use but prob involving food
    You will need a full certified kitchen not cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You'd probably make more money with a decent barber. There is a growing demand for decent male grooming and people will pay for it.

As sasta said, you'll need a full retrofit to a kitchn and that's going to cost you a decent chunk of change, especially into a building you don't own. You'll likely need planning and certs. You could also uncover a lot of stuff that you may not foresee e.g. Power, Hot Water, Fireproofing etc. Along with customer toilets etc if you intend to have sit-in dining (Whenever that comes back) Add to that your own licenses and HCAAP etc.

In other words, if you have €100k+ lying around plus the ability to get bank credit, go for it.

I'd also consider your market carefully. Barbers have reasonably low overheads so if they closed due to COVID, I'd be carefully measuring foot traffic and demand. With kebab shops, it's mostly an evening / late night trade, so that's something to consider depending on the location. A lot of take aways are just about making margins if deliver apps are in use as the percentage take is high, up to 30% on Uber for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

sasta le wrote: »
    Can't remember do you need a change of use but prob involving food
    You will need a full certified kitchen not cheap

From a barber shop to a kabab shop, you would definitely need a change of use planning application. Planning for hot-food takeaway can be next to impossible to get in some locations, so it's not necessarily straightforward.

A "fully certified kitchen" is not necessariliy that expensive, if there's a kitchen there already (we had our home kitchen certified some time ago and it cost very little). It all depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it.

Depending on equipment, there may be fire safety implications. If you need a new fire safety cert, that can be very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

NinjaRambo wrote: »

There are a plethora of leaseholds for cafes/takeaways on Daft.ie so find an existing premise/business would be my advice as its a simpler set up - rather than having to install a commercial kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The food business is littered with failures as the cost of entry is high.

If it's something that you have experience in and business experience AND a decent amount of money to invest, then as above look to lease a fully fitted premises that has correct planning.

As for the barber shop, you will need planning changes and you will get objections, so it could be, 6 months before starting fitout

• Advertisement
Advertisement