Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof SPD

Options
  • 10-12-2020 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I bought these supposedly waterproof SPD shoes recently, and they finally arrived yesterday. I took them out in the rain today. They let in water. Admittedly, they're about one tenth as sodden as my previous, non-waterproof shoes, but given the rain wasn't especially heavy at the time I was riding, I'm a little disappointed.

I've paired them with a waterproof sock, so my feet were actually dry. But I was able to feel the cold, damp inner lining of the shoe while I was on the bike, all the same.

Has anyone any experience of similar shoes? Am I expecting too much for an open shoe to stay dry on a bike, even in light rain, on the road? Or would you say I've bought a dud? I don't expect them to stand up to being submerged, but for €160 I would I have thought they'd keep out drizzle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

These shoes are designed to prevent the water coming from sides and underneath, if you occasionally step in a puddle while MTBing. They will definitely let the water going down from your leg! And are a pig to dry after.

I have an over the ankle version (Shimano MW-7) and while it's a brilliant general winter shoe, it needs to be paired with really long waterproof overshoes to protect from heavy rain while on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Alek wrote: »
    These shoes are designed to prevent the water coming from sides and underneath, if you occasionally step in a puddle while MTBing. They will definitely let the water going down from your leg! And are a pig to dry after.

I have an over the ankle version (Shimano MW-7) and while it's a brilliant general winter shoe, it needs to be paired with really long waterproof overshoes to protect from heavy rain while on the bike.

Cheers. I had a feeling that was the case, but I'd thought they might be a little better than they are. To be honest I think they'll be grand paired with the waterproof sock and water resistant bib tights I bought. Definitely a vast improvement on the pure fabric ones I had before that are like sponges. It just would have been nice if they were completely waterproof!

And good to know the MW-7 isn't completely waterproof either, because I'd considered that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Overshoes are the best. Don't go near bbb or whatever they are called, pure crap. Good selection on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Overshoes are the best. Don't go near bbb or whatever they are called, pure crap. Good selection on amazon.

Thanks. I have some and dislike them immensely. Admittedly they were cheap. They work fine, they’re just horrible to get on and off. Which was the reason I bought the shoes. I’m happy enough now that I’ve set my expectations realistically.

Advertisement