Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 Year Old and Apple ID

• 11-12-2020 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi all and apologies if this has been asked before because I cant seem to find an answer.
    My daughter is 13 and has an Iphone where her apple ID is linked to my phone so I have to approve the apps she is installing. She has all the usual social media apps and in times of non homework etc we will take the phone off of her as punishment.
    She is getting an iPad for Christmas and whilst we like controlling the social media aspect of her phone we dont want to have to go down the same route with her iPad our thought being one device with social media is enough and we can remove that device if necessary but dont want to remove two.
    So my question is when previously i have approved an app like snapchat is that now approved against her apple ID so if the same ID is used on her iPad are all the previously approved apps there waiting and in essence will I have to create a new ID for her new device to achieve what we as parents would like
    thank you and hopefully my question makes sense

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Quick answer is yes, apps associated with the Apple ID of the user will be available to the same ID on another device so long as the apps are compatible. WhatsApp is a good example, it doesn't have a native iPad app.

If you create another ID to control/limit the use, you'll give yourself heartache in my opinion. You'll have to manage two sets of IDs and what's to stop the youngster from signing in/out with the other ID.

What worked for me, was talking to the children about safety, risks, identity, privacy. In my experience the children then asked me if it was ok to get certain apps on their devices and I didn't need to perform the approvals. I used it as an independence moment but appreciate that not all parents would do that.

Whatever feels right between you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Thanks Tazium
    Yeah all kids are different my 14 year old could absolutely do as you suggest but the younger one not a hope. In any case you have answered my question

Advertisement