Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cervicalcheck is it time to listen to the fecking doctors

Options
  • 11-12-2020 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/cervicalcheck-director-screening-service-trust-letter-5295114-Dec2020/

Think some advocates took the stage so much we aren’t listening to the doctors about screening.

Independent review said our system as good as UKs which is on the go years and the gold standard.

Programme ended up damaged. People thinking there’s blame where it’s actually part of screening. It can never be 100%. Media lead us to believe it was fault in system. And no one wants to contradict someone with cancer. It was like the country went one way on it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Moved to Current Affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

They changed the test itself this year. They no longer look at abnormal cells unless you have HPV.

As far as I know, you can have abnormal cells without HPV.

http://www.cervicalcheck.ie/news-and-events/information-for-healthcare-professionals-from-cervicalcheck-latest-update.14910.html#:~:text=HPV%20cervical%20screening%20will%20be,laboratory%20in%20the%20same%20way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Caledonia wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/cervicalcheck-director-screening-service-trust-letter-5295114-Dec2020/

Think some advocates took the stage so much we aren’t listening to the doctors about screening.

Independent review said our system as good as UKs which is on the go years and the gold standard.

Programme ended up damaged. People thinking there’s blame where it’s actually part of screening. It can never be 100%. Media lead us to believe it was fault in system. And no one wants to contradict someone with cancer. It was like the country went one way on it.

Listen to doctors like Gabriel Scully?
    The system for cervical cancer screening in Ireland was “doomed to fail at some point” and had problems that were “redolent of a whole system failure,” an independent inquiry has concluded.

The scoping review by Gabriel Scully was set up in the wake of a crisis in the country’s cervical screening programme, CervicalCheck, when it emerged that women who developed cancer had not been told of earlier smear tests which were wrongly interpreted.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/362/bmj.k3912

The central issue was women were not told that they had incorrectly been given the all clear, and when the mistake was uncovered the decision was made to not inform the women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    The central issue was women were not told that they had incorrectly been given the all clear, and when the mistake was uncovered the decision was made to not inform the women.

This 1000%

Mistakes will happen , nobody disagrees .
    It's the lies and the cover up. Women died and are dying because they were going about their lives thinking all was good when they could have been told and gotten earlier treatment or more tests - with much better prospects.

The fault isn't so much with the process it's shameful behavior of the HSE / Civil Service bureaucracy in covering up these mistakes and lack of understanding of this cohort that they work for the people not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't think the doctors were a problem in this scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

paw patrol wrote: »
    This 1000%

It's the lies and the cover up. Women died and are dying because they were going about their lives thinking all was good when they could have been told and gotten earlier treatment or more tests - with much better prospects.

This isn't what happened, and the Scally report is categorical on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

A screening doesn't give you the all clear, it is not diagnostic in that way. I agree it was terrible not to inform women of the full facts earlier, but I don't think there were any situations where results were with held and affecting potential treatment.

My understanding was the women involved were going through treatment when the screening issues came to light.

I could be wrong, that's my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tony does not approve this thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

joe40 wrote: »
    A screening doesn't give you the all clear, it is not diagnostic in that way. I agree it was terrible not to inform women of the full facts earlier, but I don't think there were any situations where results were with held and affecting potential treatment.

My understanding was the women involved were going through treatment when the screening issues came to light.

I could be wrong, that's my understanding.

This is all correct. All of the women who were not told were receiving treatment.

The audit and review of slides was only done on women who were receiving treatment for cervical cancer, it wasn't just random. They should have been told about their slides being misread, but it did not impact their treatment or their prognosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

It’s not a mistake though. It’s part of screening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

paw patrol wrote: »
    This 1000%

The fault isn't so much with the process it's shameful behavior of the HSE / Civil Service bureaucracy in covering up these mistakes and lack of understanding of this cohort that they work for the people not the other way round.

That is not true. The only people whose results were audited werer women already being treated for cance. That is the fundamental misunderstanding fed by crusading politicians.

Advertisement