Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

She-Hulk - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It is in the promotion of the show, they may not have said it directly, at least I hope they haven't said it directly. (I said the idea that ...)

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

OK. Not going to go into the "femcel" argument (It must be said, there are valid arguments). But.....

I enjoyed that a lot. Sure, I still have my problems with the show but I just thought that was very funny. Who knew Tim Roth could be so funny? I know, I know, there was "Guildenstern and Rozencrantz are dead" with Gary Oldman about 1000 years ago but just this light thouch? I thought he was just hilarious and the whole episode was funny. Yeah yeah, I had issues with yer man being yet another assh*le at the end but I thought the therapy session was brilliant. Especially as I knew none of the characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,476 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

can't say I noticed. It sounds given the other most prominent lawyer in the show is also a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,184 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What did they say happened to that man exactly? (I know it's Stan Lee, but I'm referring to the nameless fictional character he plays)

Also that tall lady who acts as the She Hulk stand in is called Malia Arrayah. Not a WNBA player which surprised me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Im going with the phrase Shecel.

The writing is terrible, but Tatiana Maslany is an excellent actress, and really carries it as much as she can. Also, the music selection is really good. Despite that, I'd have this down as the weakest of the MCU shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,169 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

From a transcript

Kathleen Sparr: Here's something a bit more interesting. It's a possible gamma sickness. Milwaukee. A man drank one of those guarana sodas. Guess it had a little more kick than he was looking for.

[Cut to a man opening his fridge, reaching for a soda, opening it and drinking]

Milwaukee Man: Wow.

[He starts choking and falls unconscious, dropping the soda onto the floor, shattering it]

So he suffered radiation sickness. May have died from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It might just mean that episodic shows simply aren't for you - which is perfectly fine - but plenty of things have happened to the protagonist (continuing to capitalize NOTHING doesn't make your opinion any more accurate). From the second episode it was clear the show was going the Ally McBeal type episodic route, I'm surprised it took anyone this long to realize it.

The streets don't have to be 'down and dirty', despite what Netflix only had the creative ability to portray (admittedly they did it pretty well). This is a whole different side of the MCU that we've never seen - the pure number of powered people living somewhat regular lives, how 'bad guys' come up for parole and when they're released, how super powered people are treated like celebrities, how they are branded and used to make money, the number of lawsuits against/between powered people, even how super powered people date... The insights that these Disney+ shows give us helps to round out the MCU in ways that simply can't be done in detail in the blockbuster movies.

This show has been fine, fun at times. It might have been better with one overarching storyline that it focused on, like many of the other D+ shows, but at this stage I'm glad they're trying different things even if they don't always land perfectly.

You're basically proving the point as to why binging is such a bad way to watch most shows.

It might give you a great fix at the time to feel good but it is the worst way for retention.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,673 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the success of episodic show slike sex and the city, alley macbeal etc is the characters have to be well written and complex. You need to be invested in how characters will react in nuanced situations as thats the draw. the characters in she hulk are anything but well written and complex. They are shallow stereotypes with no plot arc to give them any progression. Theres also way too many dip in and out characters for episodes which are so short.

Shallow characters where we don't care about their feelings is fine when the story is action packed, shot em up type where we're all in for the 'turn off your brain at the door' which MCU had been doing well.

This show is a wild swing and a miss. if your opinion is its "fine" then fair enough, however that doesn't make it any more accurate than mine.

But hey, im a mid 40s white man, and obviously not the target audience (female gen z insta fans who embrace vapid silliness)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭RoTelly

He dies AFAIR, but in fairness he was an old man.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Many of the complaints you mention above have plenty of merit but none support or even have anything to do with your original claim that I disagreed with - that 'NOTHING happens'.

I never said anyone's opinion about the quality of the show was more accurate than another, just that your claim that 'NOTHING happens' wasn't accurate. There is just no basis to make the claim you did, you mightn't have enjoyed what happened due to the writing or depth and development of characters but plenty happened given the episodic approach and run time.

Weird that you seem to be very protective of your right to have an opinion regarding the show but then in the next sentence make disparaging generalizations about those who you think might disagree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Also looks like Daredevil is showing up next episode based of preview clip on ew.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,757 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mini hallway fight.

Good chemistry between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Finally, an enjoyable episode that made a slight bit of progression. It's about time, and next week it's over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

This show is absolutely not going down the Ally McBeal route. It may think it is, but it doesn't come anywhere remotely close to the quality of Ally McBeal. Which is not to imply that Ally McBeal was great, stand-out television. It wasn't. But it was mostly well written, had characters that were relatively well rounded, who were likeable at times, flawed, selfish and annoying a lot of the time, but who were called out on it at times by their friends and co-workers. When Ally was a being bitch, the audience knew she was being a bitch and weren't supposed to support her for it. And most of the time, Ally ultimately recognised she was being a bitch and either made an effort to change or just decided to roll with it. Like an actual human being. The writers also made an effort to have a form of legal consistency to their courtroom drama. It obviously wasn't meant to be in anyway real, like more serious shows, but's its legal drama had internal consistency that while deliberately silly wasn't painfully, carelessly, stupid like She Hulk. The characters on Ally McBeal had good chemistry and while Flockheart was the star, it was still a genuine ensemble with a good supporting cast who were allowed to shine as characters in their own right. Both men and women were presented as real people with real feelings and good and bad sides. Most notably in the season with Robert Downey Jr, when the show was at it's best. She Hulk clearly wishes it was Ally McBeal but the writers have no more understanding of what made Ally McBeal work than they do about superheroes.

I initially loved the idea of She-Hulk being a super-hero version of Ally McBeal. That would potentially have been a really, really great show. And the thing is there are Ally McBeal writers like, Constance M Burge, who also wrote for Ed, another comedy legal show, Judging Amy and Boston public, more serious legal shows and was responsible for a lot of the better episodes of (og) Charmed. And Melissa Rosenberg who also wrote on Boston Public, but also Dark Skies, Birds of Prey and created Jessica Jones. Imagine if two writers like that, who have a history of writing legal dramas, legal comedies and good-to-corny sci-fi/supernatural/superhero shows had been brought on to head up She-Hulk. It could actually have stood a chance at being the fun, witty, action show that it was supposed to be instead of tedious, insulting nonsense that is ruining what was at times a really good Marvel character and making it so I can never wear my She-Hulk t-shirt again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think that's bang on, especially in regards the comparison with Ally McBeal. This show feels like someone watched a "craziest moments!" YouTube video but never actually watched an episode.

This show hasn't caused a visceral distaste such as Love and Thunder caused but it has been such a superficial, trivial creature of a show. If it wasn't the MCU, would people care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really enjoyed the episode. Thought Daredevil fit in well. Obviously he's been more MCU-ified, but I thought he was still pretty true to the Netflix version (walk of shame aside, but I still thought that was pretty funny).

I was expecting him to not have realised his suit was part mustard-coloured and that it would have been something the designer did without Matt noticing. Felt like it was really set up for that joke and would explain why they went for those colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,191 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was a strong episode this week! Very fun, Jennifer and Matt had great chemistry. The walk of shame/pride was a lovely little beat. I also really like her relationship with Nikki. Leap-frog was good craic too.

The gold devil....ha :)

Good end to this episode, shame there is only one episode left in the series. Let's hope that Josh gets his comeuppance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,184 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'll admit, that beat of John Paesano's theme tune made me grin. But I guess Karen is either out of canon or out of the picture.

Not a bad little episode. Nice trick with the Red Alert Hulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well now I know what a CGI Daredevil looks like and know how crap Daredevil Reborn is gonna be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,860 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Matt was great, chemistry between them was great, ending was really great, it definitely needed that injection of anger, finale should be good!

However, watching Daredevil in that just makes make me want to rewatch DD season 1 to see the proper hall fight scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hallway fight the go to option for Daredevil fights fun episode but I'm really hoping the actual Daredevil show is not PG type fight scenes.

Ribit and rip it still has me laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The end scene would have been ideal for some William Hurt Thunderbolt walk on by. Still can't believe he's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,169 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I enjoyed it.

Felt the effects were off in parts, like when Jen went to meet Josh.

Liked her costume. Pretty good translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This latest episode really was not great but at least everyone expecting Daredevil in it will be happy now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Yep. It was great seeing CC Daredevil again. Already looking forward to Born Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I tuned into this for the first time just to see Daredevil. I was expecting an awful character assasination like they did with Fisk but it wasn't too bad really. It was typical MCU cheese but you can't avoid that. I just hope the new series doesn't completely abandon the roots of the Netflix show because there's a lot to build on there.

As for the CGI She-Hulk, yeah it's bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Did you miss the CGI DD - the one good thing about DD on Netflix was it was raw full on action, apart from a little bit of action in a corridor on this episode it was terrible for a DD intro, even his whole demeanour was off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The showrunner for the DD Netflix show has said if they'd had the budget that the D+ shows do, he would have done a lot more DD acrobatic CGI shots too.

As for his demeanour, it's still unclear if the D+ shows are following on from the Netflix shows, or just reusing some of the same actors etc and rebooting them. So this is either a Matt who the events of the Netflix series hasn't happened to, or a Matt several years (and possibly a Blip) after the Netflix series. And the end of the Netflix series had a far more happy and hopeful Matt.

Characters also have to change slightly to suit the show they're in. We saw a far more comical Wong in this than Dr.Strange 2 for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

8: That was alright. The cameo was done well enough, though I felt it was a bit softer than it could have been. Maybe it's fine for people with no experience of the character.

So that twist at the end then.. was the big deal to be made of it that

she went into some kind of uncontrolled hulk rage? maybe she'll get collared too?

Advertisement