Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

She-Hulk - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The whole concept sounds very woke. I'm surprised the studios still go there, knowing how these shows end up flopping for the most part.

Wasnt Bat-girl cancelled before it even got a release?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

This woke stuff that has dribbled into every movie/tv show discussion is so tiresome , are fella's that worried about women in film , Some of the greatest films in history Aliens , Terminator 2 have a strong female lead I honestly don't get it at all, personally as long as a story holds my interest i don't care who the cast or what race , sexual preferences are

This whole way of thinking is a media thing and it's quite sad, I mean you have fellas coming into threads complaining about shows they've no intention of watching ? why like ? it's a bit psychotic is it not , especially with the acres and acres of content out there now from multiple streaming sites

Anyway really enjoyed She Hulk my only real problem was where did the ship just disappear off to after causing them to crash , looking forward to next weeks episode , Had never seen Orphan Black but really impressed with Tatyana Maslany

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dig out Orphan Black, it's excellent. I think it's on Netflix, without checking. Went off the boil a little bit the end, but the show was in general, fantastic. What Maslany did in the multiple roles was astonishing; often I genuinely forgot it was just one women playing those four+ main characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It's best to ignore. Honestly. It's a bit pathetic. They are lonely and is the only way they can interact with people. Just don't look. Lol

Anyway.

That bothered me too actually. And did the style look familiar?

I like the other actor, Jamil. Thought she was great in The Other Place. Assuming she's one of the Big Bads. Looking forward to next week

Jodie Comer (rightly) here great kudos for her shapeshifting in Killing Eve but Maslany never got the same kudos. I suppose because Orphan Black was considered so niche (oh that nerdy thing with, what, clones or something). When you compare the light touch here to some of the characters on OB, that is astonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,191 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The good place she was absolutely class in, will be interesting to see how she gets on with a non English (I would presume) accent.

You are right best to ignore, sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I have to be the most patient man today that I actually finished this pilot episode - considering the first minute of the show literally is the most off putting opening scene and dialogues in the history of films/tvshow.

Absolute abomination, this is beyond my lowest expectation.

Me and the missus finished this pilot and I didnt say a word - and this post is the last time I spoke about this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,184 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wasn't the best opening episode

Breaking the fourth wall seems a bit too forced for my liking

Bruce seemed to carry the episode

Didn't have high expectations but enough there to come back for another episode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Watched yesterday, not great, but then not a Marvel fan really so probably missed some references.

It's a throwaway watch, something I might mindlessly watch 4 of while doing something else but not something I'd watch week by week.

Maybe the reveal of the big bad will help it, as I do usually find the villans more entertaining

• Advertisement

Ah yeah. I mean it's fun. It's not going to change the world. I thought the same about Hawkeye. A pleasant fun romp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the first episode and it was fine; made me laugh a few times, was a fairly loose, frivolous episode of TV - hard to call it that mind you with Hollywood grade CGI. The 4th wall breaks didn't quite work for me; there's an art to them and these felt too haphazard and clumsy. Very abrupt ending too; I'm sure it'll have more context later, but was a bit kablammo... punch... Roll credits.

And to the CGI, it was good by and large; some fleeting expressions and moments worked better than others, but it was never distractingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Okay start but didn't connect with the newer characters as quickly as I did with Ms Marvel - though it is rare a show clicks like that.

Agree with the Bruce carried a lot of the episode, they really did a great job of showing how broken and lost he is with all his closest friends being gone. As many have mentioned, there was great onscreen chemistry so interested to see how it stands now with him presumably taking a step back in future episodes.

A bigger thing is probably that it would too much overlap with the recent Thor movie.

It would also make the show too Bruce focused, him agonising over the decision and then how it impacts him afterward. With it being a fluke accident means he can feel some ownership to try to train her like we saw in the first episode but not the kind of pressure he'd feel if he'd made the decision for her.

Jameela Jamil shared this herself in her Instagram stories so there must be something in it.

The caption is in Spanish but by translation, basically in the post credit scene in episode 1 of Ms Marvel, one of the images on the wall of the DODC bears a resemblance to Jamil. Is it possibly Titania?

I'm hoping it's not a Clandestine link. As much as I adored the Ms Marvel series, the Clandestine plot was a weak point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,169 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say it's just them keeping an eye on other powered people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Watched the first 20 minutes and my assumptions were correct. This is terrible. Beyond stupid but each to their own.

Wont be watching any more of it. Pointless from my perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think the way she got the powers here works much better as a blood transfusion takes away her agency, someone is making the choice for her whereas as you say, an accident is just that. Also I think it makes more sense that Bruce would be unwilling for anyone to be exposed to his blood, I actually rewatced TIH recently and the first scene is Bruce cutting himself in the bottling plant and shutting it down so he can wipe it up.

The rewatch got me thinking if we might get a secret cameo from Tim Blake Nelson an The Leader, who is also exposed to Banner's blood in that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I was thinking about Samuel sterns alright, when I saw abomination there..

I'd be more concerned about acknowledging Betty Ross's continuing existence. Even it's a case that Liv Tyler doesn’t want to reprise the role, fine. Cast somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,860 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finally got around to watching it, really enjoyed that. It flowed nicely and was over before I knew it, usually a good sign. I just wish it was all out together as I could easily binge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't know. A lot of the dialogue here was really, really tiresome. Jennifer has just been turned into a super-powered being that is related to her cousin's condition that has in a lot of ways ruined the last 15 years of his life. It's cost him everything he has worked for as a scientist. It cost him the woman he loved in Betty and led to him falling in love with Natasha who recently died. It has led to him losing control and being responsible for large scale death and destruction. It has led to his own self being buried in his body and losing years of his life on another planet. He has had to find a way to control his emotions to an almost inhuman degree. And she is just whiny and smug and ranty about how terrible life is for women.

She displays no self-awareness, no empathy, no connection to reality. I mean she's not able to remain self-aware as a hulk because she is better than Bruce but because she has a hell of a lot less hulk in her. Obviously it would be normal to not want this to have happened to her. She really liked her normal life and it would be normal to be sad, angry, scared and in denial about how it's changed. It would be normal for her to take a while to realise that actually, she's kind of hit the jackpot here. She has just gotten a lot of great things about being a hulk, a huge boost of strength and invulnerability without the drawbacks of losing her mind. The show would have worked a hell of a lot better if she had sympathy for the curse this has been for Bruce, terror at the thought that she might share his fate now. Relief to learn she's in control in her hulk state and to then attempt to ignore it and get back to her old life before realising it's not possible and starting to really enjoy what has happened to her. Instead she's just an asshole to her cousin. If Ripley, Sarah Connor, Buffy or The Bionic Woman, who was part of the inspiration for her, had been smug assholes, who took every chance they could to lecture about the difficulty of being a woman, they wouldn't have been enjoyable either.

I am, not just a woman, but a very small one. And guess what? Going through life physically weaker than nearly everyone is something that I have to be aware of. It does make me vulnerable and I have been victim to it because there are men, a lot of them, who look for easy victims and I am one. It doesn't even matter that I'm really athletic and physically fitter than most people, a small, out of shape man could pretty easily over-power me and I have to figure that into a lot of the decisions I make through life. But that's not half of my personality. It's just life and in actuality, I mostly feel lucky that I live in a time and place where the drawbacks of being female matter less and I can enjoy the benefits more because there are also benefits to being a woman/drawbacks to being a man. Listening to Jennifer rant about it isn't validating or empowering or thought provoking, or worst of all for a tv show, entertaining. It's annoying and boring and not even remotely comparable to Ripley or Sarah Connor or the Jennifer Walters of the comic books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,757 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was an Easter Egg filled episode.

World War Hulk set up.

Shang Chi and The Eternals

Thunderbolts

Wow did they just bring Wolverine into the MCU

World War Hulk set up.... I get that

Shang Chi and The Eternals... how?

Thunderbolts... I get that...

Wow did they just bring Wolverine into the MCU.... how?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,860 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sounds like i need to finally watch Shang Chi and Eternals.

Shang Chi was OK but the Eternals was a snooze fest. Such a shame given the cast and director

Even the beautiful Gemma Chan couldn't save The Eternals... interesting end credit scene though....

Shang Chi definitely grew on me, one of the better Phase 4 films. Eternals was so so. I'm willing to give them a second chance.

This week's episode. That was kinda short. Moved the story along though and some nice nods to to The Incredible Hulk movie. "I'm a different man, literally." 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Absolute nonsense, it was a cult show but when it came to the critics she certainly got her just deserts.

I mean she obviously won more awards for her roles in Orphan Black than Jodie did for Killing Eve, what is this comparison??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

This is a show that needs to be binge watched. 23 minutes of fluff, like this episode was, is fine when you have 6-8 hours of content to watch, but waiting a week for what was delivered today is not going to build a fan base.

When the credits rolled I actually thought it was the intro scroll for the episode not the end credits.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Advertisement