Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another new bike thread

Options
  • 11-12-2020 10:01am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have read a couple of recent threads here but looking for recommendations for a new or decent 2nd hand mountain bike for an ageing beginner (mid 50s). Very limited experience, having been around the GAP blue runs once and the easier trails on Ticknock a couple of times. Being a non-driver and coming from Marlay park direction I'm looking for something that is suitable for the road spin to local off-road locations, certainly as far as Ballinastoe, so wondering whether full sus or hardtail is the better option. I'm on Coilte fire roads a fair bit on the gravel bike but have only done proper trails on a full sus. Very impressed how it handles the rough terrain which I would have off and walking on the gravel bike. Need to try a hard tail, but the regular long-term MTBers I know all seem to be on full sus.

Was looking at an ex demo Trek fuel EX 9.8 which looks like a fantastic bike with a price tag to match. Wonder would the difference be very noticeable between this and a Trek fuel EX 5 for a novice such as myself and would the price difference be justified? Would prefer to shop local on this one unless the options weren't there or the price difference over the top (e.g. > 20%).

Will may rent for the next while to see if the MTB bug sticks, but I reckon it probably will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

Everything is a compromise in the world of mtb and it depends on how you weight what you prefer to do. An xc hardtail or a trail hardtail, or a full suss. I would disregard what the other long term mtbers you know are riding unless they're also non-drivers thinking of doing long 30km spins on the road to get to the trails. A hardtail is always a good place to start for a novice. Less to go wrong, less maintenance, cheaper to buy, lighter. A gravel bike won't hold a candle to any sort of mtb on trails.

If all you ever see yourself doing is the trail centre stuff at Ballinastoe or Ticknock, GAP blues, the Wicklow Way or other general off road exploring then a hard tail is probably the way to go. You're in a position to rent a few bikes to see what you like though. Biking.ie at Ticknock will rent you trail orientated Vitus hardtails, and you'll see how capable one is. Nukeproof Megas for rent at GAP so you can see what the other end of the spectrum is like with a big enduro full suss.

Course, a mans money is a mans money, and if you've the budget for a Fuel EX9.8 and that's what you'd prefer then who am I to talk you out of one! Long stretches on the road with a full suss can be some sort of time-altering purgatory though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Gap and Biking.ie all use "Nukeproof" or "Vitus" brand MTB's which tend to be better value than big bike brands like "Trek"..
    Definitely hire a few different bikes like the Hardtails and full suss models they have for hire at Ticknock and the GAP..

Personally I've gone back to a Carbon hardtail, with good suspension forks and bigger tyres which handles everything around Ticknock very well...
    Hardtails are great, easier to clean, less maintenance, lighter to pedal up the hills and cheaper than a full suspension bike...also no messing around with setting up air suspension shocks...

Keep an eye out on the Classifieds for used Hardtails from brands like "Stanton" and "Cotic" steel hardtails are great fun and very capable...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thanks guys. Been on the hired Nukeproof full sus in the GAP and really enjoyed it and also on a decent Trek full sus in Ticknock. Next logical step is to go to Ballinstoe and hire a hard tail and see how I get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Pretty sure I met you at a reservoir cogs spin a couple of years ago.

Normal thing with bikes, take a budget and add an extra 29%

Seriously, most bikes these days are really capable, but if you have a gravel bike I would say go for a short travel full suss. A hardtail is too similar otherwise for me.

Lock out the rear shock on the road (if needed, it isn't so much on modern air suspension jobs) and then get some comfort in your bones on the trails. No point battering yourself on a hardtail, saving a few quid if you are after enjoyment and can afford a bit of extra expense.

The joy of a short travel, air suss is you can set it up for poppy xc (I do silly long spins on mine at times) or hoon it enduro style with much lower pressures (or anything like the fox climb, trail, descent settings).

Join someone like madmtb to learn trails and skills.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'd probably go with a full sus, unless you are mad for kom's a full sus will be fine on the road.
    Yes a hardtail would be more than capable but a full sus will be more versatile in the long run imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

saccades wrote: »
    The joy of a short travel, air suss is you can set it up for poppy xc (I do silly long spins on mine at times) or hoon it enduro style with much lower pressures (or anything like the fox climb, trail, descent settings).

For sure, there's a lot of very capable short travel full suss bikes out there with 120 - 130 upfront and 100 - 120 in the rear, and quite light too..

Though for your first capable MTB, Cayon's new trail Hardtails are starting at €799! :eek:
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/stoic/#section-product-grid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

So, I normally advise anyone starting out to start out on a hardtail, it's the best way to learn the technique, and starting out a full suss usually means riders never really learn how to stay light, they just let the rear shock do all the work.

However, respectfully, and to be blunt you're probably past the stage where you want to really learn all the ins and outs and want to get to a stage where you're enjoying the sport as quickly as possible.

So, get a full suss.

Regarding the Fuel Ex9.8 vs Fuel Ex 5, difference is night and day, I own a 9.8 and with Carbon Frame, Carbon Wheels and better fork and shock it's a much nicer, lighter bike to ride hard than the 5, although the 5 is a very capable fun bike.

9.8 is about 13.2kg
    5 is about 14.95kg

So if you don't mind the extra weight, don't plan to hammer the bike much, get the Ex 5, or something similiar, if you can afford to sink the money into the 9.8, I'd recommend it, but you won't know the difference, only that there is a difference.
    The Fuels are well able to handle just about any trail on this island too, so should you travel to other places, the bike won't leave you hanging.

However, as you mentioned, if you can try it out on a few bikes first and really be sure you're going to keep at it before taking the plung it usually is the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭covey123

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Though for your first capable MTB, Cayon's new trail Hardtails are starting at €799! :eek:
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/stoic/#section-product-grid

Any Canyon owners out there to comment on sizing? at 5'11" their website has me at a medium for the above bike, was thinking of an ex-rental hardtail but at that price definitely one to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PJ_RS1800

covey123 wrote: »
    Any Canyon owners out there to comment on sizing? at 5'11" their website has me at a medium for the above bike, was thinking of an ex-rental hardtail but at that price definitely one to consider

I'm 5' 10.5 and ride a Medium Canyon Lux.
    Sizing is spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jscallan53

Im also 5'11" and just got a large canyon spectral. I moved from a medium giant talon and i am loving the size difference. The medium always felt to small for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

saccades wrote: »
    Pretty sure I met you at a reservoir cogs spin a couple of years ago.

Could well be, I went to the first one and thought it was a great event, hopefully back this year.

Normal thing with bikes, take a budget and add an extra 29%

Seriously, most bikes these days are really capable, but if you have a gravel bike I would say go for a short travel full suss. A hardtail is too similar otherwise for me.

Lock out the rear shock on the road (if needed, it isn't so much on modern air suspension jobs) and then get some comfort in your bones on the trails. No point battering yourself on a hardtail, saving a few quid if you are after enjoyment and can afford a bit of extra expense.

Join someone like madmtb to learn trails and skills.

Enjoy.

Any make and model recommendations on a short travel full suss. Was looking at some reviews online and the Canyon Neuron looked like the best spec for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PJ_RS1800

smacl wrote: »
    Could well be, I went to the first one and thought it was a great event, hopefully back this year.

Any make and model recommendations on a short travel full suss. Was looking at some reviews online and the Canyon Neuron looked like the best spec for the money.

I test rode a Canyon Neuron at the Canyon Demo day at GAP earlier this year and was very impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

There was a new Canyon Neuron launched on 1 December so that review is the old model.

Lot of bikes out there worth looking at but could easily be waiting a number of months for 2021 stock with some of the brands. I managed to pick up a 2021 Giant Trance X on Bike24 a few weeks ago.

Whyte S120 or T140
    Propain Hugene
    Bird Aeris 120
    Vitus Mythique
    Trek Fuel EX range
    Giant Trance X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I'm on a Grand Canyon in Large and I'm 6ft. Its a 29er so great for rolling over stuff and climbing. Maybe a Medium would have suited getting me into the air a bit more.

I'd say you'd be grand on a Medium.

Advertisement