Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod or ipad mini

Options
  • 11-12-2020 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi there

My 11 year old daughter (well 11, going on 16) has an android tablet but her friends all have ios devices (not phones) so she misses out on iMessage exchanges.

I'm not an ios fan but I dont want her to be excluded. All the parents have agreed no phones until secondary school (5th class currently) which is great, so for now I guess I'll have to stump up and get her an apple device.

She has a great android tablet already so dont need anything top end, but at same time it will be xmas gift so 2nd hand wont work.

What would be the best budget option with main usage being imessage, music and camera mostly. I'm thinking ipod or ipad mini might work but not up to date on iOS devices.

Would greatly appreciate advice

Thanks
    Colm

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The iPad mini isn't going to be cheap and the newer (but more expensive) iPad Air will be better value for money longer term as it has the latest and greatest hardware. In terms of tablets, Android is years behind so either iPad would be a big upgrade especially if you also got the Apple Pencil and get her into drawing. The iPad Air will also last a long longer than most other devices and can be used in place of a laptop for many homework related tasks. We have an iPad Air 2 from 2014 that is still going strong with the latest version of iPadOS 14.

The iPod touch is a bit long in the tooth but will cost half as much as the iPad mini for considerably less than half the experience. It's really just a music FaceTime and messages toy.

Advertisement