Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas! "Alone"

• 11-12-2020 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

Ok folks so I need some help.

The prospects this year are I'm going to be alone for Christmas. Between me and my x breaking up my parents in another country and there in there 70s and I dont want to risk giving them c19. My brother and his marriage aint great, so that's a none runner.

I've no car.

With the prospect of Christmas alone what would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

First up, I'd have the house decorated - at least a tree up.

I'd buy myself a big present, wrap it and leave it under the tree the night before. Something I don't need but really want. Then I'd get up early and come down and open it. Then I'd have a big fry-up. Depending what the present was, I'd set it up/use it.

Then I'd spend a bit on time contacting family and friends. Start preparing a Christmas dinner for one (with boned and rolled turkey) with plenty of leftovers, to be ready around 3. Enjoy that for an hour. After that, get stuck into a movie. Round 7, I'd make a snack from the leftovers.

I'd have bought another few small presents for myself, and open them around now. Then get stuck into another good movie. I'm not a big drinker, so I'd probably steer clear of alcohol during the day, but might have a beer or a Baileys around nine or so. Finish up watching couple of episodes of a comedy TV series before bed.

But that's just me. There's plenty of others who would go the anti-Christmas direction. Personally, I'd lean into it.

Ultrflat wrote: »

The prospects this year are I'm going to be alone for Christmas. Between me and my x breaking up my parents in another country and there in there 70s and I dont want to risk giving them c19. My brother and his marriage aint great, so that's a none runner.

I've no car.

Just treat it like duvet day - schedule a list of films/shows to watch, eat and drink what you like, when you like and just enjoy it on your own terms.

Most people who are with others are just eating and watching tv too , so remind yourself that everyone else isn't having an amazing festive day like on telly. It is just a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have to agree with the above , i think if you make the effort for the day you will enjoy it more and it will fly by.

A boned and rolled turkey is a great idea , if you commit to cooking a proper christmas dinner alot of your time will go into that on the day anyway. Maybe line up a film or two that you were waiting to see for that night and relax with a drink when your all tidied up after the dinner.

I actually wouldnt mind a christmas alone the odd year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I would be inclined to treat it as a duvet day but shower when you get yo to be ready to chat with family and friends at different times throughout the day.

I wouldn't be inclined to do a full Christmas on your own, but if you're a handy cook then maybe treat yourself so something you like, like a roast chicken.

In short, I'd plan to do Christmas next year when it's safe to see your parents. Arrange to have a full Christmas dinner in March or April or whenever is safe - turkey or whatever you do with our family.

People make a big deal out of christmas. For me the good thing about it is family and this year you cant have family through a quirk of fate which is not in your control. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Plenty of whatever alcohol floats your boat and something lined up to watch on tv or games to play etc. I love being alone on xmas personally much to the chagrin of my ever suffering partner.... One of the best ones I had was back in the day in London and all my flatmates left and I had the run of the place for a few days. Heaven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I've lined up all my micro-machines at the top of the stairs, the only problem is now how do I get downstairs now?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

A big box of chocolates and watch tv all day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I'd buy myself a big present, wrap it and leave it under the tree the night before. Something I don't need but really want. Then I'd get up early and come down and open it. Then I'd have a big fry-up. Depending what the present was, I'd set it up/use it.

Then I'd spend a bit on time contacting family and friends. Start preparing a Christmas dinner for one (with boned and rolled turkey) with plenty of leftovers, to be ready around 3. Enjoy that for an hour. After that, get stuck into a movie. Round 7, I'd make a snack from the leftovers.

I'd have bought another few small presents for myself, and open them around now. Then get stuck into another good movie. I'm not a big drinker, so I'd probably steer clear of alcohol during the day, but might have a beer or a Baileys around nine or so. Finish up watching couple of episodes of a comedy TV series before bed.

But that's just me. There's plenty of others who would go the anti-Christmas direction. Personally, I'd lean into it.

That.

Saved me typing, I’m doing exactly that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Book a hotel, Live it up

''Hunter’s Yard at Mount Juliet Estate is worth it for the culinary experience alone. Christmas here is a magical affair – Champagne toasts at every turn, and whispers of a surprise visit from the Man in Red. A three-night festive stay here includes mulled wine on arrival and a relaxed dinner in the Hound restaurant on Christmas Eve, traditional Christmas lunch in Hunter’s Yard on Christmas Day with a delicious supper and festive music that night, and on St Stephen’s Day, lunch, dinner and either a falconry or equestrian activity on the estate. The package at the Kilkenny five-star starts at €849 per person sharing''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've no car.

Other years there are charities looking for helpers for the day. Not sure if that’s a thing this year but helping others amd realising there’s others worse off than you can’t be bad. Even a few hours of your day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If youre in a city/large town, go out for a walk/cycle around - its pretty cool/eerie with the empty streets and complete lack or people or traffic about in daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Do you know anyone in similar circumstances? Maybe a zoom chat n drinks with brother or friends. Video call with folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I'd sit back and pull my plum followed by a turkey and ham dinner.

No commitments, nobody wrecking your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Enjoy the peace

ebbsy wrote: »

Just wash your hands in between. The ham is salty enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Sounds like bliss tbh. I would take that over Christmas with the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

ebbsy wrote: »

No commitments, nobody wrecking your head.

You win ha ha

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Sounds like bliss tbh. I would take that over Christmas with the family.

I know! Writing it, I was thinking "this is exactly what I want to do!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Home Alone 1 and 2. 10 cans, chicken roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Have a Tommy tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I might be alone this year due to Covid.

If I am I'll shower and put on new lounge wear, have a selection of party food instead of a big dinner, then later sweets, nibbles and some alcohol while watching TV.

I vary from feeling nostalgic and sad to looking forward to it. I'll still exchange presents even if it's a doorstep drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Just treat it like duvet day - schedule a list of films/shows to watch, eat and drink what you like, when you like and just enjoy it on your own terms.

Most people who are with others are just eating and watching tv too , so remind yourself that everyone else isn't having an amazing festive day like on telly. It is just a day.

Your onto something. I may have to get prepared for this. Thank you for that.
    I think a nice peace of wagyu for my Christmas dinner my be in order :D

I suppose I can do anything I want to do, I kind of concentrated on the O crap I'm on my own for Christmas. But its My Christmas I did not think about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've no car.

do you like narcotics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I won't be alone this Christmas. But I have bought the first 5 books in Iain M Banks's Culture Series for a readathon over the holidays between cooking and baking sessions. Been meaning to read these books for ages. If I was alone for Christmas I would light the stove, happily lie on the couch with a blanket and lots of cushions, and something nice for eating that I could pop in the oven when needed, and I would read this series all day, except for when I closed my eyes to rest them. It better be as good as I hope!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You win ha ha

Unless OP is a female...

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Unless OP is a female...

Don't kid yourself, women pull their plums too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Treat the hell out of yourself...

Decorate the place..

Get yourself something nice, a games console or if you have one already..two or three new games for it.. help pass the time..

Also, Netflix if you don’t already have..

Some new clothes..nibbles and the works for food...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Unless OP is a female...

I am a none binary meat popsicle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I am a none binary meat popsicle!

In that case, pull some slices off yourself and enjoy the dinner :)

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

I've no car.

Do all your favourite things that your ex wouldn't let you do. Just back from Court with her on the other side of the country. Now I can play football in the house, eat chocolate for breakfast (and excellent wine for breakfast), drill a pullup bar into one of the doorframes, have two pizzas in one day, watch hilarious comedy (Stewart Lee - Content Provider, highly recommended) bought a 6800 graphics card for WAY too much money that she miserably never would have 'allowed' and stay up playing games with my mates in Switzerland and Belfast til 4am.

And I've a Tinder date with a Brazilian stunner (who is frankly way out of my league but I'm not complaining for as long as that lasts) tomorrow night.

I should have got divorced years ago. A lot of married people would be better off divorced, they are just stuck. That's why it's so expensive - because it's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sleep in.

Wake up coffee.

Out for a walk ..or out into nature.

Come in ...have a really warm bath ...treat myself...spa day.

Skype parents or call them.

Burn some incense.

Have some champagne.

See if i can volunteer for something maybe the next day ....

Set off some fireworks.

Cause mayhem ....

Go to bed :)

Don't kid yourself, women pull their plums too:D

Technically we only have the one but that Tom Hardy voiceover for M&S sprouts ... oooh hello!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I think booking into an above average hotel is a great idea.
    Stay Christmas eve througj st stephens day.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

Perfect Christmas

1. Have the fattest bastard of a fat bastard Full Irish. I'm talking 6 sausages, 6 rashers, 4 Black and 4 white puddings. 2 eggs any way you like them. Beans if you want, chips, 6 buttered slices of toast. Pot of tea.

2. Drink at least 6-10 cans of cheep lager. No artisan IPA ****e.

3. Minimum of 2 tugs

4. Eat the majority bags out of a Multipack crisps with half a family sized bar of Chocolate. 2 liters of Coke throughout the day

5. Farts must be toxic enough that a window needs opening. Any dump must be liquid

6. Frozen extra meat pizza and chips for Christmas dinner. Use 1/2 bottle of ketchup with it

7. Watch classics like Tango and Cash, Lethal weapon 1 or 2 or if you are real christmasy Die Hard 1 and 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I think booking into an above average hotel is a great idea.
    Stay Christmas eve through st stephens day.
    You sound like you enjoy Christmas day so locking yourself away isnt the best idea for you ( otherwise why would you ask) and as for the people suggesting a quiet Christmas is heaven I'm Not sure that's you either.
    Wrapping yourself a present and leaving it under the tree...... what's the point, no surprise at all.
    Go to hotel, ask them to surprise you whenever confronted with a choice of meals or drinks.
    If not a hotel then volunteer at a soup kitchen for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Unless OP is a female...

People have called me a silly girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I've no car.

You dont realise how lucky you are!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I had a similar experience for Xmas in 2015. I was caught cheating in a pub on the 23rd and my partner went back to her mum and dad with our boy for Xmas day.

My mum and dad were pissed over it too and didnt want me

I''d a great time on my own. I just got loaded ,watched movieas and listened to tunes. The only food I consumed that day a cottage pie from Lidl. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

This actually sounds a lot more appealing than having to spend it with families.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    This actually sounds a lot more appealing than having to spend it with families.

It does!!! I’m trying not to be a bitch when people say “oh you’re on your own!” and go “and I’ll have a better day than you!!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Loads of films to watch get a book you want to read set some time apart in the day to phone your brother and parents briefly if you want to get some food and drink if that's your thing bought and prepared in the next two weeks and just remember it's only one day those time two weeks it's all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Not a question of "would" but "will" for me. Same situation (though not for the first time): two parents in Dublin, four children in four different places/two different countries, no +1 in the picture at the moment ...

But it doesn't matter: in line with Gregor Samsa's reply, I'm going more all-out with decorations this year than ever before, and taking advantage of the fact that there'll be no-one else sharing sitting or dining room space! :D

Found the biggest "1.5-2.0m" tree in the shop during the week (came in at 2.25m :cool: ) ; have made two big centrepieces for the table seeing as there's no need to leave as much space for food; happened to get a two pairs of new Villeroy&Boch wine glasses for free from supermarket points, so will lay two places with the finest china and silverware (cos you never know who might show up at the last minute ... :o ); already have the menu decided - not turkey :P - will enjoy cooking and eating it at whatever time works for me.

If previous years are anything to go by, I'll probably spend about three or four hours on the phone/ WhatsApp with various family and friends, and part of getting the house ready is so that I can send them pictures of what they're missing by not being here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

After 3 Christmas alone in the past this is great advice, I would add that a Nintendo switch or xbox breaks the day up as well. For dinner I used to cheat a bit, thick sliced turkey and ham from the deli counter can be heated up and is always cooked well. Also the Aldi rotisserie chicken always cooks juicy and gives enough leftovers to feel like it’s Christmas.

A nice long walk on a woodland trail or at the beach really helps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

It’s not easy spending Christmas alone but the lead up to it is worse than the actual day....... listening to your friends and workmates plans for the day etc.
    I have spend lots of Christmas alone. I would order a takeaway on Christmas Eve from my favorite takeaway. I heated it up on Christmas Day. I would have my favorite wine and treat food in for the day.
    I would go for a walk and spend the rest of the day watching Movies. I never watched Christmas movies though as they mad me feel sad so I mainly watched comedies.

Op I hope you are doing ok and remember this Christmas will pass also and who k ones what 2021 has in store got you and us all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

It will be different for many this year because of Covid, but ordinarily my answer would be to think about all the people stuck in a house with screaming, bored kids and in-laws and extended family they can't stand, and think yourself lucky to have the peace and quiet. You're probably not a misanthropic hermit, so it will be just this one year. No big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Rezident wrote: »
    Do all your favourite things that your ex wouldn't let you do. Just back from Court with her on the other side of the country. Now I can play football in the house, eat chocolate for breakfast (and excellent wine for breakfast), drill a pullup bar into one of the doorframes, have two pizzas in one day, watch hilarious comedy (Stewart Lee - Content Provider, highly recommended) bought a 6800 graphics card for WAY too much money that she miserably never would have 'allowed' and stay up playing games with my mates in Switzerland and Belfast til 4am.

And I've a Tinder date with a Brazilian stunner (who is frankly way out of my league but I'm not complaining for as long as that lasts) tomorrow night.

I should have got divorced years ago. A lot of married people would be better off divorced, they are just stuck. That's why it's so expensive - because it's worth it.
    No offence pal but I was reading that and three words kept going through my head: "Mid, life, and crisis."

I might show that to my husband and tell him to be careful for what he wishes for the next time he starts talking about. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Definitely breaking up the day is the best way to go. Have it all planned out like someone demonstrated earlier is great.

Definitely Skype someone you know during the day and get up in the morning and have a good quality breakfast and go for a walk.

That was a great idea about buying yourself a present. I'd say but three presents if you can afford it. Something to keep you occupied during the day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

No offence pal but I was reading that and three words kept going through my head: "Mid, life, and crisis."

I might show that to my husband and tell him to be careful for what he wishes for the next time he starts talking about. ;)

One person's idea of mid life crisis is another person doing what makes them happy.

Have had family members ringing me up concerned that I'm not spending Christmas with them and have elected to spend it alone which they view as weird.

In reality I'm flying off to Lanzarote with my new missus that I'm not even telling them about as they are toxic busybodies.

Christmas surrounded by gossipy drunks unhappy with circumstances of their own doing which usually ends up in nitpick arguments. Eh no thanks.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Feisar

I wouldn't be put out if I was on my own but I don't miss people as such. As long as everyone belonging to me is OK I'm happy. Now not everyone is the same so here's what I'd do if I was to be feeling down on the day by myself.

Rule 1. Do not challenge yourself as a failure will negatively effect your already poor mood, i.e. a roast with all the trimmings is a lovely thing and maybe you are a dab hand in the kitchen but if not keep the culinary arts in a zone you are capable of.

Rule 2. Have a plan for the day.

Get up
    Have a light breakfast
    Go for a walk/run
    Have a nice long edging ****
    Hot/cold shower
    Call everyone belonging to you
    Book/film/computer/get cooking
    Eat
    Book/film/computer
    Time to crack open a few cold ones
    Bed

First they came for the socialists...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Can you volunteer to go into work on xmas?
    You will get paid OT and the boss will love you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement