Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas! "Alone"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

First up, I'd have the house decorated - at least a tree up.

I'd buy myself a big present, wrap it and leave it under the tree the night before. Something I don't need but really want. Then I'd get up early and come down and open it. Then I'd have a big fry-up. Depending what the present was, I'd set it up/use it.

This made me think of Mr. Bean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This made me think of Mr. Bean.

Now there was a man who lived his own life on his own terms and was happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Ok folks so I need some help.

The prospects this year are I'm going to be alone for Christmas. Between me and my x breaking up my parents in another country and there in there 70s and I dont want to risk giving them c19. My brother and his marriage aint great, so that's a none runner.

I've no car.

With the prospect of Christmas alone what would you do?

This will be my 14th. It’s just another day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Keep an eye out for this pair and maybe set up a few booby traps just in case.

then-and-now-home-alone-joe-pesci-and-daniel-stern-1447857762-large-article-0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Jimi H

I’m in a similar position. The family for years has been going to my aunt and uncles. My uncle died, aunt self isolating, dad is very ill and had to go into care. Had planned on going to a friends house but we’ve had a row and now I’m facing it alone. I didn’t think it would be too difficult but I am feeling quite sad about it all. So thankful that I adopted a dog this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Jimi H wrote: »
    I’m in a similar position. The family for years has been going to my aunt and uncles. My uncle died, aunt self isolating, dad is very ill and had to go into care. Had planned on going to a friends house but we’ve had a row and now I’m facing it alone. I didn’t think it would be too difficult but I am feeling quite sad about it all. So thankful that I adopted a dog this year.

It can be a tough time of year - things have a nasty habit of suddenly throwing a spanner in the works when you didn't expect them too.

You'll be in good company with the doggo - little tail wagging every time s/he see you. Like a kid at Christmas, but every day. Look after yourself, and each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely to see my customary Christmas spreading well!

My first Christmasses alone many years ago were.... horrible.

But the Christmasses with kind families ( I have no relatives now) were so uncomfortable.... It was a great act of kindness but I think Boxing Day would have been easier.

Now I am cocooning and also love that..

I love my solitary Christmas! The only folk close to me are overseas so calls are early morning.

Then! Yes, turkey with roast potatoes, parsnips, stuffing etc etce tc! This year the shop sent a frozen breast roast on the bone... And yes, PUDDING, although not for a few hours...

I don't drink or watch films but there will be youtube carols etc...

Each for whatever they love best.

Oh and there are chocolates kindly given which I will not touch until Christmas Day.

And pottering in the garden etc with the cats... who will also be full of turkey...

It is a day to be your own best friend... ENJOY!

Advertisement