Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a decent priced car camera

Options
  • 11-12-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Hi, if anyone can point me in right direction for a decently priced good quality car camera, I'd be very grateful.

Comments

Depending where you are, this is likely not much use, but in Drogheda there's a place called Tyrrell's Auto Repairs. Look them up on Facebook.

They are doing an offer of €99 for a dashcam, including fitting. Can't say if it's much good or not, but they put up a video on their facebook page not too long ago and it looks decent enough for the money paid.

Not sure if this link will work:

https://www.facebook.com/Tyrrells-auto-repairs-107327879321791/videos/1282930515397580

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Dash cam ? If so next base at Halfords is worth a look, they normally have sales just after Christmas, shop around and compare prices with amazon etc

Bargain alert requests might get better results too

+1 for Halfords. I've gone through a few crappy Chinese cameras, and the Next base cameras were far more reliable. Plus, they give you a better warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

Go to Halfords and buy a nextbase dashcam. I’ve fitted 8 or 9 of them between our own cars and relatives cars. I have had to contact nextbase 3 times to get the correct fuse holder to hard wire it and every single time they send it quickly and free. You get two types in the box and the fuse type is different on so many cars. Fantastic support.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭EDavey20

Argos have a cheap one for €31

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yeah "dash cams" will get you more hits and youtube "russian dash cam" will result in hilarious vids.

Be aware the various options especially night vision which is a must. In addition to filming the front there are those that film the inside of the car which makes sense for taxis and certain situations I guess. Also there are those that record the rear view too and require a proper bit of installation (not a big job if you're handy).

Make sure it's 1080p or higher and has a good field of view (130 degrees to 160 degrees). Assuming you want one in case of an insurance claim paying more than 30 quid for a quality camera with clear enough footage you can actually use in a case is important. You don't need to spend a lot however just make sure you check the specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I forgot to say Halfords will fit them for around €25 so the wire will be hidden away
    Unless you’re handy and can do it yourself that it

To be brutally honest I wouldn't trust a retail shop worker to fit anything to my car.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I would definitely spend a bit extra to get a good one.

Going for a cheap option is just wasting your money imo, you'll be able to see feck all, particularly at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Cheers all for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Cheapest nextbase was the model 122.
    Halfords were selling it for €59.99, Harvey Norman for €54.99.
    Power city price matched for €54.99 from €59.99 only after checking the nearest HN store had stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Cheapest isn’t always the best option, considering this is bargain alerts how about the model with €50 off at the moment @ €127 it comes with the 32gb sd card so you’re ready to go and it’s 1080p with 400 plus good reviews

https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/nextbase-322gw-limited-edition-bundle-236166.html

Always go for a middle of the road model. Too cheap usually means not fot for purpose.

• Advertisement

I have that NextBase 322W its been reliable for year. I bought the extra wiring kit to do away with the fag lighter connection and also got a 128GB card which iirc gives 8 hours of recording before it starts overwriting. It was cheaper a year ago I only paid (Halfords) £118.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cheapest isn’t always the best option, considering this is bargain alerts how about the model with €50 off at the moment @ €127 it comes with the 32gb sd card so you’re ready to go and it’s 1080p with 400 plus good reviews

https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/nextbase-322gw-limited-edition-bundle-236166.html

The 322GW is a good middle ground camera. It’s for app support an fits own WiFi connection so you can access clips on the go.

It’s worth noting that this €116 in June of this year. I bought mine and got a further 10% off with axa card.

It was also €116 a month ago as I recommended it to my cousin who bought it.

Why they put the price up ??

Would recommend the hard wire kit also to do away with the ciggy/usb connection.
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    Always go for a middle of the road model. Too cheap usually means not fot for purpose.

The 322GW would be middle ground alright. The cheaper 1 series and 2 series range would be budget nextbase.

Gumbo wrote: »
    The 322GW is a good middle ground camera. It’s for app support an fits own WiFi connection so you can access clips on the go.

It’s worth noting that this €116 in June of this year. I bought mine and got a further 10% off with axa card.

It was also €116 a month ago as I recommended it to my cousin who bought it.

Why they put the price up ??

Would recommend the hard wire kit also to do away with the ciggy/usb connection.

The 322GW would be middle ground alright. The cheaper 1 series and 2 series range would be budget nextbase.

Thats a nice trick?
    The AXA Insurance saving does not apply to Sat Nav's, Cycle GPS, DashCam, GoPro's, Karcher Power washers and Special Order Items.

Failed when I tried it :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thats a nice trick?

Failed when I tried it :mad:

Bought in Blanch.
    I just took out the card and said can I use my discount card and he barely looked at it and just said yeah.

This was the middle of the pandemic so we were actually queuing up outside to get in so he probably didn’t care checking properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

vicwatson wrote: »
    Bargain

As far as bargains go, bargain dash cams are crap (I've binned three of them). A bargain would be getting a good discount on a Nextbase :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have a "cheap" YI Cam that I bought from amazon about 3 years ago on the recommendation from a bargain alert thread on here that is still working great. It cost about €30/40 at the time I think. I know people who have had trouble with their Netbase dashcams so buying an expensive one guarantees you nothing.

For myself personally, I have a Nextbase 402G and it's about 4 years old now, I'd say. It was out of action for about 1 of those years as I changed cars a bit and didn't keep getting it fitted, but after a year of rest it's back in my current car.

Getting a good dashcam is a worthwhile investment, but do keep in mind, even the good ones at night time will struggle a bit. Mine is good in the sense that it can make out what's going on, quite well, but if a car is moving at night time, you likely won't get a reg plate.

There's a 412G on Amazon for £95, which I presume is the step up from the 402G (which seems to be no longer available).

I'd also recommend one of these low profile mounts, if you can stomache paying an extra few euro. They should really be the default design that comes with dashcams, but seen as they're not, they're a worthy investment:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nextbase-402G-512G-GPS-Dash-Cam-DashCam-ADHESIVE-WINDSCREEN-GLASS-STEALTH-MOUNT/132340629165

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭antomack

I've been using an Apeman dual camera (front and back) for over two years and find it great. Have installed it in my wifes, sisters and mothers cars and came in useful for my sister when a truck met her at speed on the road and tore off her side mirror as she had the footage to show the company owner and thus they paid for the mirror replacement. They were unwilling to accept responsibility until she provided footage of their driver being two foot over the white line as he approached.
    Latest equivalent version of it is £79.99 (paid £99 over 2 years ago) but there's also a £10 voucher going at the moment.
    Apeman Dual

Another brand that I see getting good reviews are Rexing but I've no direct experience with them.
    See one of their top of the line is on a lightning deal on Amazon at the moment albeit at an expensive £140.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H4B75YL/ref=emc_b_5_t
    Or just a front camera for £79.99.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/REXING-Dashboard-Recorder-Recording-Supercapacitor/dp/B00X528FNE

One thing to bear in mind is that all dual cameras I've seen only record in 1080P even though the front camera may be capable of higher but only if it's stand alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement